Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2011, 06:37 AM

3,065 posts, read 8,897,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
Please explain what you meant by: " I was speaking to a gay man recently who moved to the area with his partner and even the gay men said they shouldn't bother to look at Durham. " The part about "even the gay men..."

What?

I'm assuming that this statement is alluding to the fact that Durham is known to have an active homosexual community, though it does lean heavier towards lesbians.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2011, 09:08 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,249,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfishGumbo View Post
We've been looking to buy in Cary for several months. We were looking in the area around where Kildaire Farm Rd. and SE Maynard intersect. Those older neighborhoods are loaded with mature trees, large lots and just a lovely atmosphere all around. We loved that we could walk up to the market from our house, in fact could walk to so many things, parks, greenways, shopping centers. It seemed like utopia.

Add to that the central location, and we were hooked. We live in Raleigh now and rarely make it to Durham or Chapel Hill because we don't feel like driving 45 minutes each way.

It looks like we're buying elsewhere now ... found a great deal in Raleigh after all. But I have to admit feeling sad about losing out on Cary. I don't particularly like the outskirts of Cary for many of the reasons posted on this thread, but the area in central Cary is absolute perfection imo.
I'm sad, too!

I wish more people who love the mature trees and greenways would move here.

Old 04-30-2011, 09:18 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,241,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SALUKI_LOVER View Post
I've been here 4 years now - don't live in Cary but frequent it often enough and thinking back to all the threads I read before our move and honestly, it's all a bunch of BS - anyone I've met from Cary is great - it's a nice place - and I think the majority of people looking in from the outside are maybe a bit jealous? I'm not sure but I wouldn't pay much attention to anything negative being said.
EXACTLY!

Wow...has it really been four years?!! I remember when you first began posting!

Saluki is exactly right. There is quite a lot of BS on this forum!

I have so many clients that come to this area that have listened to their friends or relatives that live here, bad mouthing other areas that they didn't want to live in and insisting that the town THEY chose is the right one for the relatives moving here.

And yes, these are all OPINIONS!

And the folks that THINK they want Cary may end up in Wake Forest AFTER they see it. And the folks that have HEARD negative things about Durham may actually choose to live there!

My point is...so many people with so many OPINIONS but until you get here and SEE what YOU like, you really can't make that decision from what people say.

I lived in Cary many many years ago. We moved to North Raleigh because Cary was so small back then that it was just a bedroom community. I would not want to move back to Cary, today. That doesn't mean there is anything wrong with Cary but I prefer North Raleigh. Everyone has choices.

Vicki

Vicki

Old 04-30-2011, 10:22 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,599,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SALUKI_LOVER View Post
I've been here 4 years now - don't live in Cary but frequent it often enough and thinking back to all the threads I read before our move and honestly, it's all a bunch of BS - anyone I've met from Cary is great - it's a nice place - and I think the majority of people looking in from the outside are maybe a bit jealous? I'm not sure but I wouldn't pay much attention to anything negative being said.
To your bolded statement above (bold mine)...um, no.

Some like more planned communities and are Cary fans (this doesn't include the areas of Cary that are not)...others find that say, non-inspiring.

I'm not a fan, though I recognize Cary's strengths. It's not for me whatsoever, but I've recommended it to numerous people.

Old 04-30-2011, 01:20 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,249,994 times
Yanno, I live in Cary. I love it here, for the most part.

I also think that a good deal of the Cary hating is fueled by people insinuating that folks who don't live here are jealous and/or envious.

Cary has housing at pretty much all price points. Anyone who wants to live here can live here (be they buying OR renting).

This is hardly 90210.

This isn't aimed at Saluki, just a general idea I've always had.

Last edited by RedZin; 04-30-2011 at 01:21 PM.. Reason: Clarity. Precious clarity.

Old 04-30-2011, 02:08 PM

1,032 posts, read 3,918,225 times
Hey wait a minute, a question was asked, and a question is being answered.

Cary is a little beige for my taste.

That isn't Cary hate, it's a preference. Got nothing but love for the good people of Cary, it's a really nice place to shop. Went to an art fair there, had a good time. Would go again A++.

Old 04-30-2011, 04:01 PM

68 posts, read 185,329 times
When my husband was interviewing for a position in Raleigh, he was asked where else he had applied. He mentioned a position in Cary. The reply from his would-be boss was, "There's nothing wrong with Cary, just the people who live there." I thought that was pretty rude. Who cares, live where you will be happy!

Old 04-30-2011, 05:31 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,161,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
EXACTLY!

Wow...has it really been four years?!! I remember when you first began posting!

Saluki is exactly right. There is quite a lot of BS on this forum!

I have so many clients that come to this area that have listened to their friends or relatives that live here, bad mouthing other areas that they didn't want to live in and insisting that the town THEY chose is the right one for the relatives moving here.

And yes, these are all OPINIONS!

And the folks that THINK they want Cary may end up in Wake Forest AFTER they see it. And the folks that have HEARD negative things about Durham may actually choose to live there!

My point is...so many people with so many OPINIONS but until you get here and SEE what YOU like, you really can't make that decision from what people say.

I lived in Cary many many years ago. We moved to North Raleigh because Cary was so small back then that it was just a bedroom community. I would not want to move back to Cary, today. That doesn't mean there is anything wrong with Cary but I prefer North Raleigh. Everyone has choices.

Vicki

Vicki
Hi Vicki,

Everyone seems to badmouth my location on Capital Blvd. near Mini-City.

I love the convenience of BJ's Club, Triangle Town Center, Target, and now Walmart.

I do badmouth Cary but absolutely don't envy those choosing to live there.

Different strokes for different folks, eh.

Old 04-30-2011, 05:33 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,161,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbound11 View Post
When my husband was interviewing for a position in Raleigh, he was asked where else he had applied. He mentioned a position in Cary. The reply from his would-be boss was, "There's nothing wrong with Cary, just the people who live there." I thought that was pretty rude. Who cares, live where you will be happy!
A common description of Cary residents by those who do not like the town. Rude though on the interviewer's part.

Old 04-30-2011, 05:58 PM

1,442 posts, read 2,563,808 times
Cary is simply too congested. Too many people in a relatively confined area - and most of them northeasterners. Further, housing is over-priced (under princed from yankee perpective) I agree with previous posters who have stated that it is up to the person who is moving here's opinon. If I was from Jersey or Long Island, I would probably "just adore" Cary , but I am from West Virginia and to me, Cary is sickening -just stating why I do not like Cary, but again, to each his own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary