Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 06:56 AM

8 posts, read 14,733 times

Advertisements

Hey I am a 34yr old single mom with a 9yr old daughter. I currently live in Charlotte and have been looking to move to Raleigh area!! I have been to the area a couple of times and I love the area!! I've been looking for jobs in the area and I have found some wonferful jobs!! All of my family lives here in Charlotte!! And they think I should stay under them for forever!! Raleighfar enough for them to call before they to come and visit. I want to know if Raleigh is a good move for a single mom??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2011, 07:19 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newdays View Post
Hey I am a 34yr old single mom with a 9yr old daughter. I currently live in Charlotte and have been looking to move to Raleigh area!! I have been to the area a couple of times and I love the area!! I've been looking for jobs in the area and I have found some wonferful jobs!! All of my family lives here in Charlotte!! And they think I should stay under them for forever!! Raleighfar enough for them to call before they to come and visit. I want to know if Raleigh is a good move for a single mom??
If you find a good job here it is.

It's far enough from family, but not too far if you need them/they need you.

Old 04-27-2011, 07:41 AM

932 posts, read 3,096,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
If you find a good job here it is.

It's far enough from family, but not too far if you need them/they need you.
I agree. I think Raleigh is a great place to raise kids.

Old 04-27-2011, 08:04 AM

I want to thank you for advice!! I have a goal and thats to be in the area before school starts!! My daughter is ready for the move and so am I . I know I can make it!! Again thank you!!

Old 04-27-2011, 09:23 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,818,101 times
What is it about Charlotte that is causing you to want to leave? Just make sure Raleigh doesn't have the same characteristics, or that Raleigh has whatever you thinking is "lacking" in Charlotte. It is or is not a "good move" based on how much you plan, research, and use information and prudence in moving (like anywhere).

What might make you think it is NOT a good place to move (since you asked the question in the first place)?

Old 04-27-2011, 11:44 AM

Well I have done alot of resesrch and the school systems are way better than Charlotte and believe there is more oppurtunity I feel in Raleigh!! And im also ready for a change in life!! And im far enough away that if my family needs me I can get to them and they can get ti me!! I also have been in the same situation here in Charlotte over and over again not saying it cant happen in anywhere but im ready to try!!

Old 04-27-2011, 11:45 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,089,036 times
Why not just ask your relatives to call before they visit -- in Charlotte?

Kids benefit from having family nearby.

If your family wants you to stay near them forever, they must enjoy your company. That's a good thing.

Old 04-27-2011, 09:47 PM

Lol!! I wish it was because they enjoy my company!! Its more controling!! Yes its good to have my daughter family!! But its time for me to make my own decisions. Thank you for the advice.

Old 04-29-2011, 05:54 PM

699 posts, read 1,705,773 times
What is your career plan? Does moving to Raleigh help you achieve your professional as well as personal goals?

Old 05-04-2011, 10:16 PM

3 posts, read 6,211 times
My mom moved to Raleigh from Greensboro as a single mom when I was 5. I really enjoyed growing up here, and I think that she would say it was a good decision. However, now I am 18, and it is difficult when my Dad's side of the family expects me to feel at home in G-boro. That is not home for me anymore. So, not having family around might give your daughter these same problems later on, especially if she still sees her father (not sure about your specific situation). I do think, though, that you are right to say that you need to start making your own decisions. I wish my mom had made more decisions for herself instead of solely for me. Good luck wherever you decide to live!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary