Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2011, 10:18 AM

25 posts, read 40,334 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

OK, we just bought a home in Sunset Oaks in Holly Springs and will be closing/moving the 1st weekend in June. We're coming from a very rural VT location (single K-12 school in our town).

We have 3 kids. One just finishing 5th grade, another finishing 3rd grade, and another who'll enter kindergarden this year.

My questions are about schools, year-round vs traditional really. I found the year round school calender at wcpss.com here:
http://www.wcpss.net/Calendars/2010-...nd_2010-11.pdf
but there's no designation for when a particular school year starts so I'm confused....In a traditional calander for instance my oldest would be entering 6th grade this Fall, but for a year round school does anyone know when the particular "tracks" start a new school year?

Does anyone have any comments on year round vs traditional calender schools? Or any comments on the specific school assignments for our address? Our schools are listed as:
elem year round = Middle Creek
elem traditional = Swift Creek
middle year round = West Lake
middle traditional = Holly Ridge

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2011, 10:21 AM

488 posts, read 1,551,417 times
The first day of the school year for year round is July 11th. All tracks start that day except for track 4 which starts on August 1.

You should really look at the 2011-2012 calendars for next year.

http://www.wcpss.net/Calendars/2011-12/

I personally like to use this calendar because it gives all the information for traditional, year round and modified.

http://www.wcpss.net/Calendars/2011-...e-calendar.pdf

Last edited by NCBoyMommy; 04-27-2011 at 10:35 AM..

Old 04-27-2011, 10:25 AM

450 posts, read 1,345,829 times
In year round, everyone moves up to the next grade the first time they go back to school after July 1 - this year I think track 1, 2 and 3 start on July 11. Track 4 starts approx. 3 weeks later. For kids on tracks 2 and 3, this means they have one week off between grade levels.

Sorry I don't know a lot about the specific schools you're asking about. A lot of people (myself included) love year round, but others don't like it.

Old 04-27-2011, 10:35 AM

1,751 posts, read 3,679,588 times
Year round can be pretty cool if your kids are on the same track.

Here's my first reaction...
There are no year round high schools (right???someone please correct me if I'm wrong). So when your 5th grader goes to HS in 3 years, I would think it would be a pain to have your younger kids on Year Round and your oldest on traditional...when would you ever have time for a vacation?

Something to look into and think about while you explore your options.

Old 04-27-2011, 10:37 AM

488 posts, read 1,551,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by librarySue View Post
Year round can be pretty cool if your kids are on the same track. .
Yes tell me about it! We suffered through two kids on different tracks this entire year. Thankfully we were able to get both on the same track for next year.

Old 04-27-2011, 11:13 AM

2,834 posts, read 12,008,090 times
Quote:

There are no year round high schools (right???someone please correct me if I'm wrong). So when your 5th grader goes to HS in 3 years, I would think it would be a pain to have your younger kids on Year Round and your oldest on traditional...when would you ever have time for a vacation?

There are not year round high schools because of sports, and I think they way they do block scheduling, etc. So, yes, parents have to make a decision when their child goes to high school, if their other children are in year round school. My girls are third and first grade and we are in year round, but have already started discussing what we may do about high school. The options are have the kids on different schedules for two years, or simply change to traditional when our youngest is going into middle school and then we will have only one year of different schedules..

I have friends who simply started traditional so there would not be and need to change things later, but my kids (and I) love love love year round.

Leigh

Old 04-27-2011, 11:27 AM

101 posts, read 188,365 times
Middle Creek Elem - my kids went to this school for several years and loved it. However, I know they have a new principal who started about a year ago. Haven't heard much good or bad about her though. Loved the teachers on track 4 (except 4th grade)

West Lake MS - heard good things about this school. They too have a newish principal that has made things much better. Friends of my son go to this school and don't complain.

Holly Ridge MS - this is our base traditional school but I opted for our YR MS option, Lufkin. We toured this school and it seemed huge and overwhelming after touring Lufkin. However, I don't have any bad things to say about this school. My neighbors kids all go to this MS and they seem happy with it.

Welcome to Holly Springs!

Old 04-27-2011, 11:48 AM

22,633 posts, read 36,587,444 times
Quote:

THis is correct. There's a kid in my DS' class whose older sibs are in HS and MS and the mom pulled her from YR schools this year because the older two are on traditional now - the oldest by force (no YR HS) and middle schooler by choice.

Your 5th grader would start 6th grade in July or August 1 if on Track 4 as pp have mentioned.

Old 04-27-2011, 02:17 PM

25 posts, read 40,334 times
Thanks everyone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary