Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2011, 07:01 PM

3,353 posts, read 6,440,528 times

Advertisements

I never really heard much about Apex, and I'll be possibly relocating there from Greenville. I'm pretty much asking for ALL information about it, from shopping to politics, to nice parts, to whatever you think I should know.

The Comments are Appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2011, 03:18 AM

248 posts, read 754,474 times
The worst inspection department in the area which is why no high end builders build there so that keeps the property values down other than that great little town.

Old 04-27-2011, 08:37 AM

131 posts, read 726,082 times
I had heard that the inspection department was tough as nails about holding builders accountable to building codes. Is this why builders avoid it?

Anyway, I've lived in Apex for several years and my opinion is that it is mainly a family oriented suburb of Raleigh (meaning a good place to raise kids if you have them, not that it's overly conservative). I like that it has good proximity to RTP (an easy 20 min drive for me). It's also not too long of a drive to Chapel Hill or Durham. Apex has many of the major box stores one might want to shop at - WalMart, Target, Lowe's, HHGregg, Dick's, plus a lot of other shopping and a movie theater at Beaver Creek Commons. You also have a lot of chain restaurants to choose from. Of course, I'm not big on chain restaraunts so one of my complaints is that Apex needs more interesting and independent food choices. I have to drive to Cary and Raleigh to find those. Downtown Apex is quaint and charming with some interesting shops, but I don't go down there that often. Nightlife in Apex is almost nonexistent due to the suburbia nature of the town.

As far as the people go, I think you'll find a good mix of conservative and liberal. Although it seems to be geared toward people with kids, I think there are a decent number of singles living in the area also. Apex reminds me of Cary, just without the high cost of property and the overly restrictive town ordinances. You get more for your money in Apex as far as housing and land goes. I think your view of the town will depend on the lifestyle you are seeking.

Old 04-27-2011, 08:48 AM

1,886 posts, read 4,815,466 times
The inspection department has NOTHINGto do with why a high end builder doesn't build in Apex. That is nonsense.
Up to this point Apex has not supported home prices up above say $500K because there was undeveloped land closer to employment centers that developers opted to turn into higher end neighborhoods. High end development never really got to Apex before the national economic downturn and its impact on the local real estate market. I'd also go so far as to say that most folks with the means and interest to buy a high end home (and I'll define that as a home priced above around $650K) may have other lifestyle preferences that don't mesh with the small town feel of Apex and that developers are sensitive to that.
Apex is a small town that to a large degree lives in Cary's shadow but it really has its own identity and feel. It has a very nice (albeit small) downtown strip that has undergone major renovation and improvements over the past 5 years or so. It has a low tax rate relative to other Wake municipalities, and schools that are regarded as amongst the better ones within the very large Wake County school system. The expansion of 540 to the West will make Apex more accessible to the greater Triangle and likely enhance values there.

Old 04-27-2011, 09:03 AM

3,050 posts, read 4,993,405 times
You can't go wrong with Apex. Family friendly, lots of shopping, many housing options, great access to other parts of The Triangle.

Old 04-27-2011, 09:29 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,824,929 times
[quote=BMOREBOY;18902680]I never really heard much about Apex, and I'll be possibly relocating there from Greenville. I'm pretty much asking for ALL information about it, from shopping to politics, to nice parts, to whatever you think I should know.
[\QUOTE]

No message board can give you "ALL information", but here is City-Data's own page on Apex. That will give a variety of kind of info, which you can follow up on with specific questions.

It's not as if Apex is a long trip from Greenville--before considering moving, you need to come and check it out in person; it's an easy day's trip. For starters, what has put Apex on your radar in the first place if you know nothing about it?

Old 04-27-2011, 11:10 AM

229 posts, read 703,963 times
We chose to buy in Apex, and look back on that decision as a really positive one. We live close to the historic downtown which as mentioned is small, but has some neat local businesses and independent restaurants. The downtown area is also host to a number of annual events that really give you the feel of living in a small, tightly knit community.

I'm also VERY happy about living off Hwy 1/64 instead of 40 (up towards Cary). 40 is a nightmare, 1/64 not so much.

With regard to the inspection department, our construction manager pointed out a few things to us along the way that were being remedied due to the inspection department not approving them. I'm VERY glad these things were remedied instead of being overlooked by the builder, and ignored by a more lax inspection department. It's also very convenient having ALL my utilities provided by the Town of Apex, with the exception of natural gas.

Old 04-27-2011, 11:23 AM

223 posts, read 577,017 times
Too small for my tastes, which is precisely why others love Apex!

Old 04-27-2011, 02:06 PM

248 posts, read 754,474 times
The inspection department goes and looks for stuff to violate that isn't related to safety. I get 85% of my inspection's to pass the first time in the Wake and Durham countys and all the little town's around except Apex. In the past they fabricated stuff (said a panel wasn't label and it was, said a ground wire was missing even though there was a bare copper wire running down the wall into the ground and they couldn't pull it up)and found legitmate violation (Nail plate was vertical , like you do everywhere except Apex they wanted 2 horizontal, on the top plate.) Guess who pays for this? The Consumer because after you have dealt with them once you get wise and know to add this into the cost of the job

Old 04-27-2011, 03:49 PM

481 posts, read 1,086,534 times
Ditto to what Jenaten said! I've lived in Apex for 5 years and think it's a great town. They have Bella Casa which is a high end subdivision...high 500's. The homes are large and very upscale...not the total ginormous Toll Brothers homes but expensive none the less. It's a nice mix of old and new homes with a varied home price. All depends what you are looking for but for all the things Jenaten mentioned it's a nice place to live
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary