U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2011, 11:23 AM

1,752 posts, read 2,812,627 times

Advertisements

Wake County Public School System 10 million dollars to provide support for four elementary schools that could benefit from the extra resources: Barwell Road Elementary, Brentwood Magnet Elementary, Creech Road Elementary and Wilburn Elementary.

There are brand new principals there, and incoming faculty get signing bonuses. Are these positions going to be hotly contested? Or will teachers avoid these schools?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2011, 02:10 PM

906 posts, read 1,882,512 times
I forget which school it was, but I heard that one of the Renaissance schools had a large turnout at the job fair. Walnut Creek had the highest turnout I think. Walnut Creek isn't a Ren. school, but it is opening up next year with about 80% F&R rate so very similar to the Ren schools.

And just to clarify, the money for these 4 schools is coming from Race to the Top (I'm 99% sure that's the program). So it's not like they are diverting existing money from other schools to pay for these.

Old 04-27-2011, 02:38 PM

1,752 posts, read 2,812,627 times
Yes, you are correct, it is Race to the Top funding. Teachers who already worked there had to reapply or request a transfer so I assume the strategy is a fresh start.

I wonder why one building would get so many applicants over the other 3? or maybe it was Walnut Creek.

One of the 4 Renaissance principals is from my home county but I decided not to ask her in the cover letter if she remembers my momma. ;-)

I applied for all 5 schools and would consider myself lucky to get a confirmation that someone received my application. Not really expecting an interview.

Old 04-27-2011, 03:43 PM

906 posts, read 1,882,512 times
Sue--I hope you get one of the jobs. We need more good people to work at schools like that.

Have you ever been to any of the Economically Disadvantaged Task Force meetings? They are open to anybody who wants to attend and it might be a good way for you to network.

WCPSS: E D Task Force (http://www.wcpss.net/e-d-task-force/ - broken link) The next meeting is May 5 at Fox Road ES from 4:30-6:30. It's an interesting mix of principals, teachers, staff, community leaders, pastors, and parents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary