Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 09:17 AM

19 posts, read 51,111 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by casey42 View Post
I was interested/ pleased to see all the talk about Cobblestone. We had our Anderson home (also a Taylor floor plan) built in the Cobblestone subdivision.
After living in a nearby neighborhood for a few years. We were among the first houses to go up. We picked out everything, even the placement of the home on the lot. We have lived here for about two years now and we adore our home. .
Casey,
Great to hear from someone that has been in area for some time. That makes you one of the resident experts. Shopping comments will hopefully assist me in ongoing challenge of convincing me wife that this is where we should head for! Thank you! Me I am more interested in a nice local pub operation

George
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2007, 09:20 AM

Okay now I need some KB home owners to chime in!!! Almost passed by Anderson model glad we stopped, was impressive but didn't spend much time on it. Will have to read info packets and make another trip out better informed.

KB'ers where are you?

George

Old 08-07-2007, 08:36 AM

1,515 posts, read 6,965,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgeny View Post
Heather,
I truly appreciate your taking the time out to reply. I am getting very into researching this now as I get more and more enthusiastic about the area and development.

I have done a google satellite map which is probably a year or more old I would think. Trying to get overall feel for lay of the land. It would appear that the community pool lies on left heading toward KB sales office, between Falcon CT and Westminister Drive. The next street shown heading into KB developed area would be Yorkshire Drive on right, then nothing but bare land shows but I think I have the correct fix in my head. Does that sound correct to you?

I am sure I will have a dozen questions about Carolina living, taxes, water costs, and so forth as I go along. If I become annoying please just smack me and I'll be quiet

Thank again
George
Let's see. I dont think KB homes has a "pool". I have driven through there numerous times and have never seen one although they have signs stating that they do. When you first pull into Cobblestone (behind the Cobblestone stone sign) there is a pool. I have never seen anyone from KB homes using the pool so it might just be for Anderson homes. Its really nice, has a great shady spot, and plenty of chairs. Its one of the nicer pools I have come across in awhile. I dont think KB homes has access to it, you need a key card to access the gate into the parking lot and the same key opens the gate to the pool. Maybe next year KB homes will have their own pool although to me, it looks like false advertisement with their huge sign stating they have one. Then again, I could be wrong. Maybe they do use the pool at the entrance but I dont think so.

Pull into Cobblestone and you will be in Anderson homes first. Yorkshire Drive is actually Anderson homes. If you continue onto Yorkshire, you will drive into some older neighborhoods that are not associated with either Anderon or KB. Not sure why they are not coming up on the map, they have been there since the late 90's. Continue past Anderson homes, past the model, and you will drive into KB homes. Anderson homes is now working on a new subdivision right behind the model home. I must admit, I have been impressed with the new homes they are currently building, they are extremely beautiful! I cant wait to see the finish results.

No, no no! Feel free to contact me as much as you like! I am more than happy to help out!

Old 08-09-2007, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrickhead28 View Post
Let's see. I dont think KB homes has a "pool".
What we were told is that the pool is indeed for KB and Anderson developments and that both operate under the same HOA. The Anderson rep told us that all theland was originally owned by Anderson then they decided to sell off some of the parcel to KB but Anderson retained the best lots.

We definately got the impression that both builder sections would be run by HOA as one.

KB Home Community - CobbleStone Place - Clayton, NC

This is the KB site for Cobblestone and if you call it up and watch the slide show go through several photo's of the pool are shown.

George

Old 08-09-2007, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgeny View Post
What we were told is that the pool is indeed for KB and Anderson developments and that both operate under the same HOA. The Anderson rep told us that all theland was originally owned by Anderson then they decided to sell off some of the parcel to KB but Anderson retained the best lots.

We definately got the impression that both builder sections would be run by HOA as one.

KB Home Community - CobbleStone Place - Clayton, NC

This is the KB site for Cobblestone and if you call it up and watch the slide show go through several photo's of the pool are shown.

George
I was wondering about that!
Our friends just bought a KB home and they said they were building a separate pool or trying to at least. Not sure where that was going.
I think they are about to buy out of their contract though, so far the upgrades they paid for are not coming through.

Actually, a little FYI...
KB homes lost 7 contracts last month. They went.."elsewhere".
My friend who is having a house built did not get half the upgrades they paid for, the builder said it wouldnt work. They are now re-negotiating price or they might just back out completely.
Either way, they are not too happy right now.

I do like the HOA, I know it was pretty inexpensive. So far so good, havent really seen anything that would call the attention of the HOA, they got some really good folks out here.

Old 08-09-2007, 06:53 PM

Quote:
I was wondering about that!
Our friends just bought a KB home and they said they were building a separate pool or trying to at least. Not sure where that was going.
I think they are about to buy out of their contract though, so far the upgrades they paid for are not coming through.

Actually, a little FYI...
KB homes lost 7 contracts last month. They went.."elsewhere".
My friend who is having a house built did not get half the upgrades they paid for, the builder said it wouldnt work. They are now re-negotiating price or they might just back out completely.
Either way, they are not too happy right now.

I do like the HOA, I know it was pretty inexpensive. So far so good, havent really seen anything that would call the attention of the HOA, they got some really good folks out here.

I have owned homes but in are we are HOA's are not common. I recent years, however, we have lived in townhomes which have HOA and condo Assoc. which work in conjunction. The common practice I have noted here anyway is that the HOA is originally operated and controlled by the " sponsor " or builder until a majority of planned development is closed. During that time it behooves the sponsor to maintain a low HOA fee and that is often done by the sponsor providing services at under market rates. In example, sponsor will have thier crews maintain landscaping services, garbage collection,and such at minimal cost. Then when HOA shops to contract the services they find that the cost is far higher than previously budgeted, hence HOA fees must rise. Again I can only go by NY experience, may be far different in NC.

It would appear that all home builders are experiencing the nationwide, for most part, downturn in housing funding and such. I would expect that cost cutting will appear in ever more areas and it pays any consumer to be even more diligent to what is occurring.

Premiums for lots is something that was unknown around here until builders like Tollbrothers and Lenore entered the NY arena s few years ago during the big boon in housing. Normally we purchased and land and had a builder come in and build, very few planned developments years ago. HOA's for private houses were virtually unheard of here. Localities took over roads and services after completion of a commonly developed area by a builder. Naturall this is why taxes are CRAZY in my County as with most. Not unusual to have property taxes of 15 to 25k a year. In my complex, again Townhomes, are taxes are in 4k area even though we provide our own road service, garbage service, landscaping and such.

George

Old 08-10-2007, 05:31 AM

Wow, thats alot in taxes!

A friend of mine lived in a townhome with HOA's. She got turned down for wanting to putting in ceiling fans. The HOA told her that the attic area was "community space". She told them she just wanted to put more light in her house and the guy actually told her to BUY MORE LAMPS!

There are some strict one out there...I think the only issue anyone had in our neighborhood was wanting to put up a 6ft fence but only allowed a 4ft.

Its crazy the power they hold.

Old 08-12-2007, 11:13 PM

28 posts, read 107,615 times
Hey guys...I just wanted to thank you all for your help! We came up and visited both Clayton and Garner this past weekend. What a great experience! Luckily we were able to meet up with a realtor so we could see some property and started to decide on some subdivions we liked. We were able to explore Clayton a bit more than Garner, so hopefully we'll see more of Garner next time we are up there.

I had a quick question about one really cute subdivision we found in Clayton. It's called Little Creek Farms, it had a nice feel and new homes, but we saw two houses up for sale already (they were built in 2006). Does anyone know anything about this subdivision and what would drive people to sell their houses only a year after they are built.

I'm new to this "home buying" thing, so I just don't want to trap myself with a bad buy my first time around.

Again, thank you guys for all your advice so far!

Old 08-13-2007, 07:37 AM

91 posts, read 308,336 times
Cary, Raleigh, Holly Springs, Apex,

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 08-13-2007 at 09:29 AM.. Reason: advertising

Old 08-15-2007, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Wow, thats alot in taxes!

A friend of mine lived in a townhome with HOA's. She got turned down for wanting to putting in ceiling fans. The HOA told her that the attic area was "community space". She told them she just wanted to put more light in her house and the guy actually told her to BUY MORE LAMPS!

There are some strict one out there...I think the only issue anyone had in our neighborhood was wanting to put up a 6ft fence but only allowed a 4ft.

Its crazy the power they hold.
I was interested, should we decide to buy in KB, in taking one of three lots that are suitable for installing a backyard pool. We were advised that inground only acceptable, no above ground, and that pool must be fanced but fence can only be 4'. I was surprised since 4' seemed too low tp provide proper security. I had presumed that the 4' was a zoning compliance issue, now realize that it is more probable a decision by HOA board.

I'll have to do some research concerning HOA's in NC, the answer to your friend regarding attice fans seems inconsistent with the area of responsibility for the HOA. My thought would be logically and on my knowlege based upon NY state operations, HOA only has authority regrading EXTERIOR appearrance of house and property. Anything within the roof and walls of the home would be solely at descretion of homeowner. I would agree that they have authority over outside fence, not with ceiling fan installation. In a condominium that attic argument might fly because condo's are attached to each other physically therefore some shared areas such as attic space could be considered common property.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary