Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 01:46 PM

28 posts, read 108,017 times

Advertisements

Hey guys! I'm looking to move to the Raleigh area, but i needed some advice. After browsing this forum, it seems that you all are knowledgable and ready to help!

I'm about to graduate from my master's program and want to move to the Raleigh area. I do not have a job yet, so I might just move first, find a job second. My fiance works from home, so we don't have to worry about his commute either.

We are looking to buy a home for 175-200K (at least 3 br 2.5 baths) and want a good sized yard. Through some friends, I've heard a lot of good things about Garner and Clayton, but I wanted to see what you all thought.

We are both in our mid 20s, and definetly want a town with shopping ("box stores" are fine) and restaurants. We want a town that we can go out in, but we don't want to be stuck in the college scene. Also, since we want to have kids in the next few years, kid friendly neighborhoods and low crime are a must.

I grew up in the suburbs of Chicago and love suburbia. I don't mind shopping at Target and a cul-de-sac is great. I live in Asheville right now and I hate it. I think it's a dump and I couldn't raise kids here. I want a place that is kid friendly, has low traffic, and also has a night life for my fiance and me.

Please let me know if you guys can weigh-in on Garner or Clayton (or any other town).

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2007, 02:35 PM

5,524 posts, read 9,935,420 times
I currently live in Clayton and really like it BUT the commute to RTP or Durham is not very desireable so we are planning on moving from Clayton shortly. Garner is closer to the area but is much more congested and parts are taxed as if you were in Raleigh and honestly the school system in that area is not Wake County's finest. The further out portions of Garner are going to be a good distance from the city and such but again you will get more house for your money. I live in a maintenance free golf course community right by 70 and 40 so my commute is not as bad as I do not fight the traffic from downtown Clayton. I would say Clayton though as for the money it is definitely more desirable.

Old 08-01-2007, 02:44 PM

53 posts, read 211,024 times
Personally, I would not recommend any of those areas. There is nothing to do there, they are very country areas although it's growing now. It's a quite a drive to Raleigh plus you will always be stuck in traffic especially in rush hours. If you want something to do or places to go Raleigh is your best bet. You can easily find at least a new, nice townhome with those specifications in a good area in Raleigh.

Old 08-01-2007, 02:45 PM

1,515 posts, read 6,980,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tluv00 View Post
I currently live in Clayton and really like it BUT the commute to RTP or Durham is not very desireable so we are planning on moving from Clayton shortly. Garner is closer to the area but is much more congested and parts are taxed as if you were in Raleigh and honestly the school system in that area is not Wake County's finest. The further out portions of Garner are going to be a good distance from the city and such but again you will get more house for your money. I live in a maintenance free golf course community right by 70 and 40 so my commute is not as bad as I do not fight the traffic from downtown Clayton. I would say Clayton though as for the money it is definitely more desirable.
I actually live in Clayton and work in RTP. Everyone is entitled to their opinion on the commute, however, I moved to Clayton from Raleigh and I look at it this way:

1.) From Raleigh to my job in RTP, it took me 20-25 minutes. My house was about 1100 sq feet and worth about 200k.

2.) From Clayton to my job in RTP (same job, mind you) it takes me about 45 minutes. That's an additional 20 minutes tacked on to my commute. My house now is 2800 sq feet and worth...200k.

Its all how you look at it! Do I mind the commute? Not at all. Its only an additional 20 minutes for me and to come home from driving that after a long day to my beautiful home, is totally worth it.

Now, back to the original poster's question.

Clayton or Garner?
Come out and see for yourself! They are both pretty different, alot of older homes throughout Garner, more "shopping centers" (Target, PetSmart, Michaels, Dicks, Best Buy,et) but Clayton has more newer homes with a SuperWalmart, grocery stores, etc.

Both cities run on one highway, Hwy 70.
Clayton is on Hwy 70 east, Garner is on Hwy 70 west.
Both are a 10 minute drive apart.

I say pack up your car, take a trip down and just tour the area. You will figure out for yourself which one has a more "home" feel to you. I personally picked Clayton because the people here are so nice and I didnt want to be that close to downtown Raleigh. That was just my preference!

Hope that helps!!!
Heather

Old 08-01-2007, 02:51 PM

198 posts, read 910,102 times
I live in Garner and near Clayton. Moving to N. Raleigh...it's too country and there is no shopping. Makes me feel I am in Kentucky until I head into N Raleigh and it feels like Indianapolis again. Then again, just my opinion.

Old 08-01-2007, 02:53 PM

214 posts, read 663,589 times
or you can go out to the 40/42 area and have both. My address is technically Garner but I pay Johnston Cty taxes and am in the JoCo school district. It takes me 27 minutes to get to Crossroads in Cary leaving the house at 7:30.

Old 08-01-2007, 02:59 PM

5,524 posts, read 9,935,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jello212 View Post
or you can go out to the 40/42 area and have both. My address is technically Garner but I pay Johnston Cty taxes and am in the JoCo school district. It takes me 27 minutes to get to Crossroads in Cary leaving the house at 7:30.
That must be driving on the shoulder because I am at the 70/40 ramp in Clayton and it takes me 25 min leaving at 7:00a-7:15a to get to the exact same area......is that today or did you mean 7:30pm

Old 08-01-2007, 03:19 PM

892 posts, read 3,160,147 times
I too live out that way and by no means would I call it country. Of course you have the local natives that did live here back then but there is much too much construction, commercial and residential, to even think to call this country living anymore.

As for the commute, anything that puts you on 40 is gonna be dreadful some days and will surprise ya the next. No real words of wisdom as to Clayton or Garner. You could probably spend less than two hours in each and come to a pretty good conclusion for yourself!

Old 08-01-2007, 09:06 PM

28 posts, read 108,017 times
Hey guys..thank you all for your input! My fiance and I are planning to come up in a couple weeks to see for ourselves, but it's always nice to get an "insiders perspective."

Someone mentioned moving to Raleigh. What areas would you recommend.

I love all the help you guys have been able to give!! Thank you!

Old 08-01-2007, 09:43 PM

214 posts, read 663,589 times
I leave my house at 7:30 in the morning and for the most part, the traffic rock and rolls. It does slow up for a couple of minutes at the 40/70 merge but picks up again at jones sausage.

My only problem is if there is a wreck between exit 312 and 306. If there is, there is no where to go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary