Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 11:43 AM

28 posts, read 559,289 times

Advertisements

I am trying to find ways to shake up my workout and would love to find a place that I could run stairs. When I lived in Iowa I would go to the local high school or there were a few parks that had good staircases. I have read on a few different threads that it is not encouraged that the public go to the local schools to use their facilites so I am hesistant to do that. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2011, 11:52 AM

5,728 posts, read 17,530,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laineybelle View Post
I am trying to find ways to shake up my workout and would love to find a place that I could run stairs. When I lived in Iowa I would go to the local high school or there were a few parks that had good staircases. I have read on a few different threads that it is not encouraged that the public go to the local schools to use their facilites so I am hesistant to do that. Any suggestions?
When I was in college, I used to run the stairs at Beaver Stadium. I still remember that there were 115 stairs on each of the rows. . . . and that was 25 years ago Perhaps you can find a local college or highschool football field.

Old 05-02-2011, 02:17 PM

915 posts, read 2,374,546 times
I know tons of people that run the stairs at Wallace Wade Stadium at Duke on the weekends. Parking is generally not enforced, so you can park for free (as long as there is no special event).

Old 05-02-2011, 03:07 PM

814 posts, read 1,999,814 times
I remember sitting at Cafe Luna in downtown Raleigh one summer night, by the front window, and watching a guy run the stairs at the parking garage across the street (the one by Marbles)...up and down and up and down....we got tired of counting.

If you must moved here, are a runner and want to shake up your workout, join this crowd: Running Group | nOg Run Club (http://www.nogrunclub.com/pages/running-group - broken link) I have a lot of friends that do it and LOVE it.

Old 05-02-2011, 03:38 PM

119 posts, read 393,003 times
The police recruits run at Duke Stadium....heard it's a great workout.

Old 05-02-2011, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usedtobe VaNC View Post
I remember sitting at Cafe Luna in downtown Raleigh one summer night, by the front window, and watching a guy run the stairs at the parking garage across the street (the one by Marbles)...up and down and up and down....we got tired of counting.

If you must moved here, are a runner and want to shake up your workout, join this crowd: Running Group | nOg Run Club (http://www.nogrunclub.com/pages/running-group - broken link) I have a lot of friends that do it and LOVE it.

Thanks for the running club link...I am definitely going to check that out! I have lived here since 2009 but am always looking for new ways to meet people and be active. Thanks!

Old 05-02-2011, 09:21 PM

Anyone know if NC State's stadium is open to the public on the weekend? It is a lot closer to my house than Duke.

Old 05-02-2011, 10:01 PM

338 posts, read 1,615,930 times
10 or so years ago I had NCSU grad student roommates that went and ran stairs somewhere on campus. There was part of an old stadium that was still there. Does anyone in that part of Raleigh know of such a place on NCSU campus? Or know if it used to exist but is now gone?

Old 05-03-2011, 07:41 AM

375 posts, read 1,139,909 times
Those were the remaining seats from the old football campus - and were torn down in 2006-2007. =0( I don't think you'll be able to get into Carter-Finley either, but a quick call to the athletic dept would clear it up. DH Hill is open to the public and has lots of staircases. There are outdoor stairs on campus in general, but none are more than a flight or so.

Old 05-03-2011, 09:54 PM

285 posts, read 490,818 times
I'll second the Wallace Wade suggestion. Lots of people run the steps at Duke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary