Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2007, 12:19 PM

693 posts, read 2,756,066 times

Advertisements

nynraleigh, according to Google Maps, the distance between Clayton and RTP is around 40 miles. If you make it in 30 minutes, that means you drive all the way at 80MPH

In any case, 3littlerascals, just understand that there are thousands and thousands of people moving to the triangle and the road construction is not making a dent on keeping up with growth. The road you mentioned is tentatively planned to be ready by 2012, but that is IF a million things go right, and unfortunately some of them will go wrong. The route from South Cary/Holly Springs/Garner to RTP is getting increasingly congestioned. Some days it barely moves, and it gets worse by the month. SO if you think you can handle 1 hour commute today then great. Just remember that in one or two years this can be a 1 1/2 hour commute and 2 hours commute sometime in the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2007, 01:55 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,935,509 times
avg 75mph...door to door is 32 miles one way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grass Is Greener View Post
nynraleigh, according to Google Maps, the distance between Clayton and RTP is around 40 miles. If you make it in 30 minutes, that means you drive all the way at 80MPH

In any case, 3littlerascals, just understand that there are thousands and thousands of people moving to the triangle and the road construction is not making a dent on keeping up with growth. The road you mentioned is tentatively planned to be ready by 2012, but that is IF a million things go right, and unfortunately some of them will go wrong. The route from South Cary/Holly Springs/Garner to RTP is getting increasingly congestioned. Some days it barely moves, and it gets worse by the month. SO if you think you can handle 1 hour commute today then great. Just remember that in one or two years this can be a 1 1/2 hour commute and 2 hours commute sometime in the future.

Old 08-02-2007, 04:43 PM

49 posts, read 159,280 times
Default Clayton commute here we come

We just bought a house in Lee Forest in Clayton off of Guy Road. It won't be complete until the end of this month. Hubby will be doing the commute to RTP also but he leaves for work at 5:45-6:00 a.m. Anyone know if the traffic is significantly less at that time to make it a quicker commute? He also is on a Harley so he can "get around" traffic if need be.
We liked this area because the lots of land were larger and you got more bang for your buck for a house. After selling our house in MA we are able to buy this one and have money left over to help our girls with college.
I went to the Walmart supercenter the other day when we were down to check on the progress of the house, OMG, thought I had died and gone to Wal,art heaven. Plus I love the fact that White Oaks is just a few minutes down 70 and so is other shopping. Plus a town with a Dunkin Donuts, how can you go wrong. Can't wait to move in!

Old 08-03-2007, 07:28 AM

892 posts, read 3,153,633 times
Your husband should be a-ok leaving that early...at least for now! Agreed, White Oak is good shopping!

Old 08-03-2007, 08:48 AM

83 posts, read 499,743 times
What stores are in White Oak? How far is Target?
If my husband had to go in a little earlier to beat traffic he would. That's what he does now when he has to go into Philly.
After getting on 40 in Clayton - what is the route to RTP? Is there an alternate route from Clayton?

Old 08-03-2007, 09:05 AM

4,477 posts, read 11,587,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nynraleigh View Post
avg 75mph...door to door is 32 miles one way
Average 75mph? Sheesh. How long does it take if you obey the speed limit?

Old 08-03-2007, 09:18 AM

892 posts, read 3,153,633 times
Target is at White Oak along with Petsmart, Kohl's, Linens N Things, Dick's, Best Buy, Ross, Pier One, Hallmark, BJ's, TJ Maxx, Staples and others I am sure to forget.
40 is the route to RTP. Just get on and go (hopefully). There are always backroads but they generally only help in emergencies such as ice storms and tractor trailer fires.

Old 08-03-2007, 10:13 AM

83 posts, read 499,743 times
A Target close by.............I'll be in heaven!
Is there more than one exit off of 40 to get to RTP?
I'm not exactly sure where in the park my husbands new office will be.

Old 08-03-2007, 11:27 AM

1,263 posts, read 4,935,509 times
I have driven at 65mph and experience people with road rage, flashing their lights,..guess I am driving too slow at the posted speed limit. I move with traffic and even at 75mph people are riding my bumper in the center lane...that's another topic...what we need is more patrols on these major roads...

Quote:
Originally Posted by adlnc07 View Post
Average 75mph? Sheesh. How long does it take if you obey the speed limit?

Old 08-03-2007, 01:11 PM

214 posts, read 662,203 times
I don't have a problem with someone driving fast. I do have a problem with someone driving fast and reckless, frantic merging.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary