Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 01:40 PM

75 posts, read 123,832 times

Advertisements

Where can the numbers for Raleigh/Durham be located? Are we up or down and by how much?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2011, 01:58 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,887,728 times
North Carolina Employment Security Commission reports its data here:

The Employment Security Commission of North Carolina

Old 05-06-2011, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
North Carolina Employment Security Commission reports its data here:

The Employment Security Commission of North Carolina

That does not contain the current information nor does it display by individual city.

Old 05-06-2011, 07:40 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,887,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogey Golf View Post
That does not contain the current information nor does it display by individual city.
I can't vouch for what data is there (but I do think it's whatever the most currently released data is - which may be a month or two behind), but it does have employment data for cities, MSAs, CSAs etc. See the menu bar on the left side of the site.

Old 05-06-2011, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
I can't vouch for what data is there (but I do think it's whatever the most currently released data is - which may be a month or two behind), but it does have employment data for cities, MSAs, CSAs etc. See the menu bar on the left side of the site.
The unemployment rate was just announced to have gone back up to 9% and new unemployment claims have hit an 8 month high. I know they will have county numbers released well after the fact. I want to single it down to each city in current terms. This can't be good for us. I suspect things are about to go off the cliff in Raleigh and Durham, including surrounding towns.

Old 05-06-2011, 10:27 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,765,033 times
Quote:
The unemployment rate was just announced to have gone back up to 9% and new unemployment claims have hit an 8 month high. I know they will have county numbers released well after the fact. I want to single it down to each city in current terms. This can't be good for us. I suspect things are about to go off the cliff in Raleigh and Durham, including surrounding towns.
I don't know that I've ever seen such numbers at the city level (then again, "Raleigh/Durham", as you request in your subject line , is not a city). You could do a search for "Raleigh unemployment" (etc) and if nothing is there, there probably isn't such a statistic, since you would at least find outdated figures. The Bureau of Labor Statistics is who does the Unemployment rate.

I found this which covers through March 2011, but it's still the Raleigh-Cary matro, not just Raleigh. I doubt such a statistic is compiled monthly.

Old 05-06-2011, 10:28 AM

3,050 posts, read 4,983,596 times
You are focusing too much on the unemployment rate and not looking at the overall numbers. Most think that the latest job numbers are better than expected and the stock market agrees. Still a long way to go, but definitely moving in the right direction.
Analysis: Jobs matter, unemployment rate doesn't – This Just In - CNN.com Blogs

As for local numbers, they seem to come out the week after the national numbers.

Old 05-06-2011, 10:40 AM

Here is some local data. As you can see, we are doing better than the national average and all the numbers are getting better. I have no idea when this will be updated for April.

Raleigh-Cary, NC Economy at a Glance

Old 05-06-2011, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucyAussie View Post
You are focusing too much on the unemployment rate and not looking at the overall numbers. Most think that the latest job numbers are better than expected and the stock market agrees. Still a long way to go, but definitely moving in the right direction.
Analysis: Jobs matter, unemployment rate doesn't – This Just In - CNN.com Blogs

As for local numbers, they seem to come out the week after the national numbers.

62,000 new jobs are at McD's. Not exactly equal replacements. I long lost faith in the stock market as a barometer. Pricing is out of whack after QE1 and QE2. I am more interested in local affects. I see things slowly getting worse. Many of our local builders have shut down building and have moved into reno work. I sense housing prices are teetering on the edge. It is becoming more apparent that this area may have come late to the recession party and will be making up for lost time.

Old 05-06-2011, 11:17 AM

Quote:
62,000 new jobs are at McD's. Not exactly equal replacements. I long lost faith in the stock market as a barometer. Pricing is out of whack after QE1 and QE2. I am more interested in local affects. I see things slowly getting worse. Many of our local builders have shut down building and have moved into reno work. I sense housing prices are teetering on the edge. It is becoming more apparent that this area may have come late to the recession party and will be making up for lost time.
It sounds like you have already formed your opinion, so why bother looking up stats?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary