Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 07:16 AM

1,751 posts, read 3,688,749 times

Advertisements

Okay, Mike, I will cancel that wire transfer to Nigeria for the 5000 sf house with indoor pool, I guess that would be a lot for me to clean anyway.

Thanks so much for all the support! To clarify, we are looking for a rental within the Broughton/Martin neighborhood, and the only complexes within that area are the Palms (which we toured, OMG, not acceptable) and Spanish Trace (which Ex-husband vetoed after a drive-by) and Anclote Arms which would probably be okay but has no vacancy. I did come to raleigh last month and scout apartments...found an acceptable compromise in the Daniels neighborhood but still think Martin Middle is better suited for my daughter's special needs.

I couldnt look at rental houses during that visit because it was too soon for my July 1 move in date, but I drove miles and miles in the area to identify good streets.

I currently have two possibilities...both from Craigslist...and neither landlord has sent interior photos yet. I don't want someone else to sneak past me by just going to see it in person and sealing the deal.

Ex-Husband is supposed to be in NY/Toronto/Connecticut the next two weeks but he is going to try to shoehorn in a quick trip back to Raleigh to go see those top two places.

The one landlord was very happy to have a family v. students renting so he said more than once I was his top choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2011, 07:24 AM

43,291 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by librarySue View Post
Okay, Mike, I will cancel that wire transfer to Nigeria for the 5000 sf house with indoor pool, I guess that would be a lot for me to clean anyway.

Thanks so much for all the support! To clarify, we are looking for a rental within the Broughton/Martin neighborhood, and the only complexes within that area are the Palms (which we toured, OMG, not acceptable) and Spanish Trace (which Ex-husband vetoed after a drive-by) and Anclote Arms which would probably be okay but has no vacancy. I did come to raleigh last month and scout apartments...found an acceptable compromise in the Daniels neighborhood but still think Martin Middle is better suited for my daughter's special needs.

I couldnt look at rental houses during that visit because it was too soon for my July 1 move in date, but I drove miles and miles in the area to identify good streets.

I currently have two possibilities...both from Craigslist...and neither landlord has sent interior photos yet. I don't want someone else to sneak past me by just going to see it in person and sealing the deal.

Ex-Husband is supposed to be in NY/Toronto/Connecticut the next two weeks but he is going to try to shoehorn in a quick trip back to Raleigh to go see those top two places.

The one landlord was very happy to have a family v. students renting so he said more than once I was his top choice.
Sue,
The wires do not always go out of the country. They often stay in the states, but are transferred from there.
These guys range from very sloppy to pretty darn smooth.

It may be on the up and up, too. That happens.

Old 05-09-2011, 08:01 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,246,306 times
I sent you a PM, LibrarySue. You can CALL if you need to!

Vicki

Old 05-09-2011, 08:30 AM

447 posts, read 1,619,949 times
LibrarySue, I also sent you a PM.

Old 05-09-2011, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Sue,
The wires do not always go out of the country. They often stay in the states, but are transferred from there.
These guys range from very sloppy to pretty darn smooth.

It may be on the up and up, too. That happens.
Mike, I was just teasing you. I'm not wiring any money, nor have we gotten to the point where I have been asked for any money. I just started wondering how these things work and got worried. I appreciate the warning! See my next post....

Lots to worry about when you move out of state! Like I told Vicki, I'm pretty sure I started obsessing about this detail in order to avoid this week's task at hand: a Yard Sale!

Old 05-09-2011, 09:34 AM

NC Department of Justice has this: http://www.ncdoj.com/Files/Consumer/...t-booklet.aspx

CIty of Raleigh has an interesting page here but none of the links work Tenant's Information - The Official City of Raleigh Portal

City of Raleigh does offer this cool program: Training class for Landlords. Great idea! Landlord Training - The Official City of Raleigh Portal

City of Raleigh also has a Fair Housing Hearing Board at Fair Housing Hearing Board - The Official City of Raleigh Portal Link to a Tenants rights handbook on the right side of the page.

Best thing I found is the Better Business bureau:
BBB - Raleigh - Durham, NC - Raleigh - Durham NC which seems to have a national database...I did not find my potential landlord mentioned but just to experiment I tried The Preiss Company. They had only 5 complaints in many many years and all seemed to be isolated issues.

There are also other resources for low income programs but I didn't even look since I don't qualify.

If all else fails, I guess I'll have to knock on the door and ask the current tenant what he/she thinks of the landlord! Which I would not hesitate to do.

Old 05-09-2011, 09:42 AM

43,291 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Mike, I was just teasing you. I'm not wiring any money, nor have we gotten to the point where I have been asked for any money. I just started wondering how these things work and got worried. I appreciate the warning! See my next post....

Lots to worry about when you move out of state! Like I told Vicki, I'm pretty sure I started obsessing about this detail in order to avoid this week's task at hand: a Yard Sale!
Sue,
Now I'm laughing.

But... A year or so ago, we had back-to-back incidents of Craigslist rental scraping scams in the office.

A woman came to the office with a folder of email printouts, after she had wired money to NY for a fellow who was going to rent to her.
She had hopes that the listing agent could sort it all out. Unfortunately, our agent had to deliver the bad news. $900 gone.
And the woman asked if she could still get the home for $900. Market rent was $1350, if I recall correctly.

That $900 price was the bait.
The woman never was inside the unit, ignored the agent's sign in front as she walked around it, and proceeded to send money to a grifter on CL who offered a lower rent...

Old 05-09-2011, 09:51 AM

881 posts, read 2,253,830 times
Quote:

Best thing I found is the Better Business bureau:
BBB - Raleigh - Durham, NC - Raleigh - Durham NC which seems to have a national database...I did not find my potential landlord mentioned but just to experiment I tried The Preiss Company. They had only 5 complaints in many many years and all seemed to be isolated issues.
IME the BBB is completely worthless and your example of the Preiss Company proves it. I know numerous NC State students who've had problems with them. Most probably won't bother with the BBB when they can use Student Legal Services (most of which is free or low cost) and actually get something done. Feel free to search posts on the wolfweb...

I ended up taking someone to small claims who had zero complaints on the BBB website. I tried going through the BBB first and they were no help at all.

Old 05-09-2011, 12:25 PM

Thanks NCSUAlum! I hadnt thought of it that way.

Have no fear, Preiss doesnt currently have any listings that seemed appropriate for me (translate: lots of shabby places!)

Old 05-09-2011, 04:52 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,165,555 times
I really recommend apartments over homes because you can check ratings on Apartment Ratings :: The leading source of apartment reviews by renters for renters. as well as with us.

Do be aware that redistricting can move students, so fixating on a school node may not get the desired result.

Many home landlords do not really want to be landlords, so a renewal lease may not be available if the real estate market warms up. Also, many reluctant landlords are losing money every month, so don't expect expensive repairs w/o a struggle.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary