Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 03:43 PM

3,050 posts, read 4,993,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theS5 View Post
Off topic, but what is up with the uniforms these guys wear? It just looks silly when I see a big fat guy in full regalia.
The bright colors of cycling shirts make it easier to see them so you don't hit them.

The pants prevent rubbing on the inner thighs, and have a padded butt.

The shoes clip to the pedal to give the rider a full pedal stroke.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2011, 03:43 PM

3,395 posts, read 7,772,563 times
^^Yes, at any sort of crossing, you are at increased risk. Driveway, side street, what have you. Cars aren't typically thinking about fast moving objects on sidewalks. When you are riding in the road, they realize it and don't typically take a turn right into you.

Old 05-11-2011, 05:14 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theS5 View Post
I am shocked more bikers don't get side swiped on the road. Some of these people are brazen and will pull out into the middle of the lane when they know a car is approaching. I guess it is their way of telling the motorist that the road is for them as well, but it is extremely dangerous.

Off topic, but what is up with the uniforms these guys wear? It just looks silly when I see a big fat guy in full regalia.
The ones we get regularly on Cary Parkway and High House are a trip.

Why do they insist on getting out in the evening at rush hour? Good grief. It gets dark late enough for 50 of them not to all depart Cycling Spoken Here during rush hour for a ride.

Old 05-11-2011, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucyAussie View Post
The bright colors of cycling shirts make it easier to see them so you don't hit them.

The pants prevent rubbing on the inner thighs, and have a padded butt.

The shoes clip to the pedal to give the rider a full pedal stroke.

Yep. All that is true. But, I still hate it when a couple dozen of them take to the street at high traffic hour.

Otherwise? I'm cool with all cyclists that obey the rules of the road. Or the trail. In fact, there are some brazen offenders on the mountain bike trails around here. Sheesh.

Old 05-11-2011, 06:37 PM

1,832 posts, read 5,090,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MEM View Post
Sorry about another thread on the Apex children playing issues but I am one of the parents in Walden Creek trying to get the ordinance against children playing in the street amended. This ordinance also currently prohibits children from riding their bikes on sidewalks which we are trying to get amended as well.

The proposal that is being worked on would amend the ordinance to allow play in "cul-de-sacs", allow children to ride their bikes on sidewalks and would also impose stricter fines on those who leave play equipment in the roads.

If you would like to support this issue please consider attending the next Apex Town Council Meeting on Tuesday May 17th at 7pm. All those in favor will be wearing RED.

Thanks!
Wait...where are children supposed to ride? I'd rack up some hefty fines before I allowed my little kids to ride in the street!!! That's ridiculous! Is Apex the new Florida? Where retirees rule? UGH. I'm so sorry. I don't live in Apex but I support your efforts. When we moved here, one of the requirements was for a neighborhood with sidewalks....so our kids could safely ride/walk! We have tons of kids in the 'hood and they regularly zip around the sidewalks on bikes, scooters, etc. Fortunately we all know each other so the kids don't dare act rude

Old 05-11-2011, 11:02 PM

4,304 posts, read 5,990,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
The ones we get regularly on Cary Parkway and High House are a trip.

Why do they insist on getting out in the evening at rush hour? Good grief. It gets dark late enough for 50 of them not to all depart Cycling Spoken Here during rush hour for a ride.
So I guess my wife (and occasionally I) are "a trip"...thanks for that bit of info.

The rides are generally 1.5-2 hours long, and start times are in fact scheduled to enable people to get back before it gets too dusky, with a bit of padding. Start times are pushed back as days get longer, but at this time of year the rides start at 5:45 to ensure that everyone's back by 7:45 or so. Sunset's at 8:10, so there's a bit of cushion, but you definitely be want to be off the road before then.

Old 05-12-2011, 07:26 AM

1,335 posts, read 3,149,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFspiderman View Post
So I guess my wife (and occasionally I) are "a trip"...thanks for that bit of info.

The rides are generally 1.5-2 hours long, and start times are in fact scheduled to enable people to get back before it gets too dusky, with a bit of padding. Start times are pushed back as days get longer, but at this time of year the rides start at 5:45 to ensure that everyone's back by 7:45 or so. Sunset's at 8:10, so there's a bit of cushion, but you definitely be want to be off the road before then.
Stop excercising NOW. God forbid you should get in the way of somebody making an emergency run to Bojangles while you are selfishly getting excercise (and offsetting their negative impact on my rising medical insurance while they set themselves up for a quadrupal bypass.)

(sorry for the rant.)

This thread is supposed to be about kids cycling on Apex sidewalks. I think the law, as well as people's opinion's have been well covered....

Old 05-12-2011, 02:38 PM

2,908 posts, read 3,873,444 times
I think the point is that in a situation where a bike decides to pull out into the middle of the lane and the drivers choice is to go head on with another vehicle, or dump the bike rider, well..........

And, of course, riding your bike is not the only way to get exercise. In fact, I would say that almost all other forms of exercise do not include playing chicken with a 3000 pound vehicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmateo View Post
Stop excercising NOW. God forbid you should get in the way of somebody making an emergency run to Bojangles while you are selfishly getting excercise (and offsetting their negative impact on my rising medical insurance while they set themselves up for a quadrupal bypass.)

(sorry for the rant.)

This thread is supposed to be about kids cycling on Apex sidewalks. I think the law, as well as people's opinion's have been well covered....

Old 05-17-2011, 09:47 AM

7 posts, read 9,321 times
Exclamation Apex Sidewalks and Cul De Sacs

I applaud the folks trying to get this law amended. I hope to attend the Town meeting tonight. In a town where packs of cyclists can legally ride down narrow two lane streets and hold up traffic, and force drivers into oncoming lanes to avoid hitting them, and a town who protects and defends those cyclists, even though 3 have been killed doing this. You would think they would giving a standing ovation to families who want to ride on those miles and miles of connecting sidewalks they have provided, by simply amending this Ordinance so kids (and adults - as I would never ride on any street in Apex), who want to get from Friend A to Friend B house, or safely get to the community pool without getting killed, should be able to ride their darned bikes or hang out with their friends on Friday nights and play kick the can in the cul de sacs. However, I doubt that Town of Apex and Apex City Police will support any common sense amendment to their rules. While they claim to be family friendly community, they don't always walk the walk. Come On Apex Town Council - really listen to these parents who's children have no places to play and except the sidewalks and streets and cul de sacs (since you didn't make builders put in safe places to play).

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 05-17-2011 at 10:28 AM.. Reason: Deleted rude comment

Old 05-17-2011, 01:12 PM

Seriously... what on earth happened to playing in one's yard?

Not that I'm against small children biking on the sidewalk, I'm not. As long as their parents are out there supervising, it's all good.

But, bigger, unsupervised kids need to keep most of their riding on the street.

Using the empty sidewalk as a quick cut through to avoid high traffic areas seems reasonable for all people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary