Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 07:27 AM

7,076 posts, read 12,348,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
The N&O reports that the Triangle is getting a new overlay area code - 984, which will necessitate 10-digit dialing once it takes effect. Some will remember that about a decade ago, BellSouth started the transition to this overlay area code, but aborted it almost as soon as it started.

New Triangle phones to get 984 area code - Consumer - NewsObserver.com
Not sure why an overlay would be done in the Triangle. Giving the Durham MSA the new code while the Raleigh MSA keeps the old code makes more sense to me. Anyways, this would be the state's 8th area code.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2011, 07:34 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,940,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
Not sure why an overlay would be done in the Triangle. Giving the Durham MSA the new code while the Raleigh MSA keeps the old code makes more sense to me.
Forcing half the area's population and business into a new area code for all existing numbers in the affected area is not really easy and it's certainly not cheap.

Old 05-12-2011, 11:01 AM

5,888 posts, read 6,955,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielleNC View Post
I've been dialing 10 digits for the past five years ever since Cingular became AT&T.
You are dialing from a cell phone. The new ten digit dialing requirement will apply to land lines.

Old 05-12-2011, 11:16 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,827,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
Forcing half the area's population and business into a new area code for all existing numbers in the affected area is not really easy and it's certainly not cheap.
But that's how it was done the vast majority of times before, every time a new one has been added. Overlays are the exception. For many years, NC just had 919 (East/NW) and 704 (Charlotte area). Then around 1990, 919 broke into 919 and 910 (casuing untold confusion for those changing, but the reason they had to use one so close to the old one is, this was when area codes could only have a "0" or a "1" as the middle digit, and 910 was literally the LAST one left of that pattern (they had only recently added the "xx0" ones, which were previously not possible).

When they finally rewrote the switching systems so that (virtually) any 3-digit number could be an area code, new ones proliferated, of course. 919 split once again, adding 252 AND 336, and 704 split, adding 828. It was only somewhat recently that Charlotte needed another one and became an overlay. I don't know why the choice for overlays except that it seems to be an urban thing, where it makes sense an area code to cover the whole city/region. When less populated areas split, they generally assign a region to a whole new code.

I persnally like being able to know what someone's area code is by where they live, so I do wish 919 would simply split geographically into another one (state govt would dictate that Raleigh kept 919) instead of now having to know the whole code for someone.

Here is a fascinating area code history. I still remember when I was a kid and every state just had a handful--I knew about 75% of them by heart. So most of the changes from this map to the current one involved people having to have their areas code changed; overlays are still definitely the exception, not the rule.

Old 05-12-2011, 11:47 AM

502 posts, read 1,654,962 times
One of the comments on the N&O article noted 984 = WTH on a telephone keypad.

Hehehe

Old 05-12-2011, 11:55 AM

9,145 posts, read 14,766,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post

I persnally like being able to know what someone's area code is by where they live, so I do wish 919 would simply split geographically into another one (state govt would dictate that Raleigh kept 919) instead of now having to know the whole code for someone.
The main issue with this is now with number portability, you can have a number from practically anywhere. Especially with so much in-migration of tech savvy people I bet there is a pretty high percentage with "alien" area codes here.

Old 05-12-2011, 12:37 PM

2,905 posts, read 5,922,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homehuntress View Post
one of the comments on the n&o article noted 984 = wth on a telephone keypad.

Hehehe
:d

Old 05-12-2011, 12:37 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,940,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
I persnally like being able to know what someone's area code is by where they live.
Your age is showing. (Mine too) Among the younger cell phone set, they keep the same 10-digit numbers as they move all around. To them, the first 3 digits are just that - digits - and have nothing to do with where they (once) lived.

Old 05-12-2011, 01:08 PM

379 posts, read 959,447 times
Maybe some day each county in NC will have its own area code.....

Old 05-12-2011, 02:24 PM

725 posts, read 1,500,840 times
Most calls now a day for me are just 1 or 2 presses (or if I am really lazy by voice command). With touch screen smart phones and click-able phone numbers on web pages (voice search is getting really good these days) there's no need to dial 10 digits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary