U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-16-2011, 06:22 PM

5 posts, read 10,294 times

Advertisements

We've been seeing random stains on our clothes (that were not stained before wash) that appear after washing and have tried a few things to see if it would go away and it hasn't. Anyone else experience this?

We think our next step is to have the water tested. Any recommendations of a reliable company that can test our water and perhaps assist with our situation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2011, 06:44 PM

79 posts, read 85,981 times
Do you have city water or well water? How old is the washing machine?

Old 05-16-2011, 07:02 PM

8,990 posts, read 4,816,308 times
I think it's hard to go wrong with Culligan where ever you happen to be.

Old 05-16-2011, 07:37 PM

5 posts, read 10,294 times
We're on City and we just replaced the washing machine in Jan thinking it would solve the problem but it hasn't.

Old 05-16-2011, 09:19 PM

8,990 posts, read 4,816,308 times
Since city water usually is treated well and does not usually have minerals in it that will stain then it could be a couple of different things. Let me ask you, Do your sinks and toilets get stained?
Most times stains on clothing are caused by some type of iron in the water. This iron can come from different sources. Old rusted galvanized pipes in the house are one sounce of iron in your water and old iron watermains are another. This type of iron is not in solution and you can usually see a few flakes of iron in the water. The other type is in solution and the water is crystal clear but stains everything red. A water softener can remove up to, well I forget how much but it can handle small amounts. If the iron is coming from the pipes inside your house then you will have to replace them with copper. It's a good idea anyway as those old pipes often have high levels of lead in them. Like I advised in my earlier post, call out the water experts for an look see. Be very careful thery do not sell you something you do not need. I don't know where you are located but around here Culligan is honest and know what they are doing. Usually they rent equipment if you would rather rent than buy. I would rent if I was not planning to stay in the house less than 5 years. Otherwise buy. Get it in writing that the water companies solution is GUARANTEED to solve your problem.

Just to start off get the water analyzed to find out how much of WHAT is in it.
Good luck with it.

Old 05-16-2011, 09:32 PM

375 posts, read 450,155 times
I have noticed new yellow stains in my kitchen sink (city water), and can't seem to get them out with cleaner....I thought it could have something to do with the water (honestly, it's the only thing that makes any sense), but maybe my sink is just...wearing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary