Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 12:40 PM

1,188 posts, read 2,545,137 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyJM View Post
I can't speak on the behalf of other cites but I can tell you a little about the situation going in NYC. I currently live in Staten Island which is the "suburbs" of the city. My life long friends are a good example of what is happening to many of the people in my age bracket (28-34). One is a electrician in one of the best unions in the city, he has been working with them for over 6 years and has received his A card this past year. Once he was no longer paid apprentice wages he was quickly put on the bench and has only worked sporadically since. My other friend is a teacher, with a masters degree +20 credits so he gets paid max salary for his years in. He is struggling to pay the mortgage on his 1200 square foot town home, and is in danger of losing his job because of the cuts the city is making. And finally my friend who is a lawyer, well suppose to be. He graduated in the top 5% of his class from Fordam university, and ended up taking a job with the TSA working for $12 a hour because he couldn't find a job in the city. He recently got a job offer in Atlanta and will be moving in the next few months. This is just to give you an idea of how bad it is here. It don't matter if you are white collar or blue collar, the chances of making a good life for a young family in this city are very low. I haven't even begun to tell you about the quality of life issues, this is just the job market. lol. So I agree with you that people shouldn't expect to come to the Triangle and see streets paved with gold, we can expect at least a chance for a good life for our young families.
The situation out on Long Island is similar. The costs of living versus the job market is smothering young people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2011, 12:41 PM

19 posts, read 27,183 times
Good point Grizz...I have time. I am sort of moving for a couple of reasons. Looking for a different pace, location to retire and enjoy the rest of my life and get away from the hell in NY. Its really a nice place to vacation, but living here has gotten much worse. Cost of living expenses have soared along with taxes. Schools have been steadily declining. My pension will not hold water in NY. I am sick and tired of the competition between neighbors over materialistic bs...so what if I drive an Honda Element.

Old 05-19-2011, 12:43 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,822,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waxwolf View Post
I hope that I'm not being too naive. I realize paying off my loans is going to be a scary task, and I have no idea how difficult it will be to find a job as a dentist in the Triangle. I know there aren't a ton of dentists in North Carolina (I hear it's hard to pass that exam), but my guess is what dentists there are are concentrated in the Triangle area - especially considering the fact that UNC contains your states only dental school.
Dentists aren't "concentrated" in the Triangle--people everywhere need dentists, so you will find them where there is demand. If they were all in the Triangle, the population wouldn't be able to sustain all of them. However, it is true that in the more rural areas, they often cannot find dentists. You could move to Eastern NC and probably snap up something within a day or two (the ONE case where that "magical" expectation of so many relocaters probably actually is true!)

Quote:
But I want to start my career in a place I think I'll enjoy.
See, I would argue that when you are starting your career, at least in a field if there is any competition, that is the time to take "anything" just to get experience. You have the rest of your career to move to "somewhere you'll enjoy", but when you're just starting out, is the time to look in areas where there is demand for your services because perhaps they aren't quite so primo places to live. Get some experience and pay some bills, then think about relocating to a nicer (= more expensive) area.

The biggest demand, by far, in NC for dentists is in the rural areas, especially if you accept Medicaid patients. I work in Medicaid and a few years ago, there was a big series in the newspaper about how hard a time Medicaid patients had finding dentists, especially in the east. Sounds like easy money to me, to get on your feet and pay off some loans, and then when you're a little more established, move to a more desirable place..that's why they call it "movin' on up", not "starting out at the top".

One of the reasons the Triangle is so oversaturated (granted, perhaps not in dentistry) with applicants for too few jobs is that everyone seems to insist on being here, and will not consider anywhere else, whereas other parts of the state are in need of workers and can't get them.

Do a search on medicaid dentists nc (etc) and you will probably find plenty.

Old 05-19-2011, 12:55 PM

51 posts, read 99,439 times
Default Plan B

This is my plan B . I sell my home here (600k) market value, buy a home there 250K cash, no mortgage opposed to my 2000K mortgage here. I now can work for minimum wage and pay my bills and live in a area thats safe for my kids and not polluting their lungs every time they take a breath. This of course is a worst case scenario, working for minimum wage is not my plan lol. BTW the homes for 250K there are the same size as my 600K here, so I now have the same living space, in a safer neighborhood and I have 0 mortgage. So lets do the math 2000k a month, is 24,000 a year, which with city takes is equivalent to making50 K a year (prob more). So if I can make 15 K a year flipping burgers, it would still be like making 65K. You see where I am going with this.

Old 05-19-2011, 01:08 PM

3,950 posts, read 5,089,116 times
Default Don’t count your chickens before they’re hatched

Quote:
This is my plan B . I sell my home here (600k) market value, buy a home there 250K cash, no mortgage opposed to my 2000K mortgage here. I now can work for minimum wage and pay my bills and live in a area thats safe for my kids and not polluting their lungs every time they take a breath. This of course is a worst case scenario, working for minimum wage is not my plan lol. BTW the homes for 250K there are the same size as my 600K here, so I now have the same living space, in a safer neighborhood and I have 0 mortgage. So lets do the math 2000k a month, is 24,000 a year, which with city takes is equivalent to making50 K a year (prob more). So if I can make 15 K a year flipping burgers, it would still be like making 65K. You see where I am going with this.
I hear you, bro.

Here's the place I sold in suburban Maryland to move down here. I downsized so I wouldn't be a slave to the man although I sold when the real-estate market was still hot.

Old 05-19-2011, 01:14 PM

51 posts, read 99,439 times
Default Lucky

That home is really nice, that would go for around 1.2 mil where i live. Awesome that you got out when the market was still hot. I'm trying to get out before it completely crashes lol. I think the main reason why people get into so much trouble as they don't actually save any money when they move. If you sell a 2500 sqft home in city A for 600K, and you then buy a 5000 sqft home in city B for 600K, you have saved no money and now have more sqft to heat/AC. They miss the whole idea, lol.

Old 05-19-2011, 01:26 PM

3,950 posts, read 5,089,116 times
Default Mad World

Quote:
That home is really nice, that would go for around 1.2 mil where i live. Awesome that you got out when the market was still hot. I'm trying to get out before it completely crashes lol. I think the main reason why people get into so much trouble as they don't actually save any money when they move. If you sell a 2500 sqft home in city A for 600K, and you then buy a 5000 sqft home in city B for 600K, you have saved no money and now have more sqft to heat/AC. They miss the whole idea, lol.
Funny story: The federal workers who purchased my home had a combined bring home salary of $16,000 a month. That’s right, because they both had security clearances and the excesses of the Bush administration those public servants brought home sixteen thousand dollars a month after taxes! So I can relate to what you mean about being priced out of your own neighborhood.

Good luck on your move. You sound like you have a good head on your shoulders so I’m sure you’ll do just fine down here. Just make sure that your eyes aren’t bigger than your stomach- as my mom used to say.

Old 05-19-2011, 01:32 PM

7 posts, read 9,070 times
I have been following these posts for awhile since my husband's job is transferring us to Raleigh, and I can not imagine moving somewhere without a job first. (especially with this economy) We came house hunting last month and did purchase a modest home to ensure that I did not have to work at all till our children (ages 12 and 9) were well adjusted in school etc. Our subdivision is extremely small and filled with mostly natives or long time NC residents. I am not very adventureous to say the least and since we know very few people there, we planned for the worse case event---truly hating it and needing to sell quickly. I have heard terrific things about the area and have gotten a head start with my children's activities--investigating Boy/Girl scouts and the like. We come next month so if see a blue Kia van with PA plates messing up traffic that will be me-------See yinz all. Janet

Old 05-19-2011, 01:35 PM

7 posts, read 9,070 times
I think the Honda Element is cool---it would be perfect for my family and pets. There is a waiting list for them in Pittsburgh PA

Old 05-19-2011, 02:44 PM

1,039 posts, read 2,654,091 times
Quote:
and live in a area thats safe for my kids and not polluting their lungs every time they take a breath.
FYI they are very "anti public transportation" here and known as the "gas guzzling capital" of America.

This is also tobacco country.

Do your research before buying the chamber of commerce catch phrases.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary