Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 02:45 PM

3,239 posts, read 3,537,796 times

Advertisements

Is there a reason you need a beach cottage for just 3 people? Could you make do in a condo - save some money, closer to the beach? We just stayed in far North Myrtle Beach (Towers on the Grove) over spring break, just south of the Cherry Grove pier. Walk to the grocery store and some local restaurants, steps from the ocean/pools (and yes we did spend a great deal of time in the ocean - even though the water temp was in the 60s). Close enough to drive to the craziness that is Myrtle Beach if its raining - but not stuck there with all the crowds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2011, 06:03 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,063,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter. View Post
So does asheville west pass as mountains? Having the 6 year old wading through streams is def an option. Any specific locations/rentals are appreciated.

Thanks
Peter
We rented through this website when we vacationed there for Easter break.

Blue Ridge Mountain Vacation Rentals in Blowing Rock, North Carolina

The house we chose was a bit above what we wanted to spend so we called and made an offer. The rental agency contacted the owner and the owner accepted so we were able to get a little discount.

The house we stayed in was called "The Great Escape" and it was VERY clean, well maintained and had 105 acres of private property that we could hike. It was about 35-45 minutes to the Linville area and Grandfather mountain. Boone was about 25-30 minutes from the house.

We loved the area we were in (the house was on the TN/NC border) but there really wasn't any swimming that we are aware of. You can do a search on that website for river front/creekside homes though.

Check out Blackberry Creek Cabin on that website. I haven't rented that home but that is one we were looking at. There is only one week left in the summer (7/31 - 8/5) and we can't travel that week. $1500 for the week.

Last edited by *Sixy*; 05-22-2011 at 06:14 PM..

Old 05-22-2011, 06:56 PM

814 posts, read 2,006,289 times
If you want a vacation in the mountains where you, as the Mom, actually get a vacation too, then I recommend Earthshine Mountain Lodge. Earthshine Family Getaways We have been going every year since our littlest was about 3 and it is awesome. There are 3 meals a day, activities all day. IT is a beautiful spot. The lodge is rustic, no phones or TV, raw wood floors, etc. But very comfortable. It is fun and relaxing for the kids and for us. If you stay in the lodge, given your childs age, you will be able to sit on the porch and have a glass of wine, while your child does the evening activity, or plays UNO upstairs in the lodge or plays on the rope swing with the rest of the "pack" of kids. There is an amazing 6 stage zipline, ropes course, etc. for 10 and over. And a pioneer village (make cider, candles, card sheep wool, catch frogs, feed the animals) , indian village (throw a tomahawk, make pots, grind corn, have a vision quest!), and tons more to do...or nothing.

I will stop gushing now. I don't know who looks forward to it more, me or the kids.. Like summer camp for the whole family. I have some friends scared off by the price, but you need to understand that once you get there, you don't pay for anything else...no food, no movies, no put put, etc. no gas, no museum fees, etc. Its a pretty good deal, all in all.

Old 05-22-2011, 09:38 PM

3,395 posts, read 7,767,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justthe6ofus View Post

OBX was great...you'll get different opinions on what area to vacation in out that way. We stayed in Duck and liked that it was not as commercial as the southern area of OBX. Lots of things to do there too. We took a daytrip down to Roanoke, the Canadian Hole (great for swimming), Jockey's ridge...etc.
Actually, the southern area of the Outer Banks aren't very commercial at all. The only really "commercial" area is the northern section between the two bridges around Kill Devil Hills and Nags Head. Once you go south of Nags Head, things get way less homogenized and commercial and start to take on a much more unique flavor. Ocracoke, Buxton and Avon are my personal favorites.

Old 05-22-2011, 09:44 PM

43,264 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Default I like the Beach in Avon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dire Wolf View Post
Actually, the southern area of the Outer Banks aren't very commercial at all. The only really "commercial" area is the northern section between the two bridges around Kill Devil Hills and Nags Head. Once you go south of Nags Head, things get way less homogenized and commercial and start to take on a much more unique flavor. Ocracoke, Buxton and Avon are my personal favorites.

Avon Day's End (http://www.flickr.com/photos/mikejaquish/5746373188/ - broken link) by mikejaquish (http://www.flickr.com/people/mikejaquish/ - broken link), on Flickr

Old 05-23-2011, 08:51 AM

1,611 posts, read 4,846,254 times
We go to Buxton, which is on the outer banks. It's 4 hours drive but the last hour is on Route 12... down the outer banks- love it! Buxton is fairly remote- there is no outlet mall, no chain stores... you have to drive back north for that. It is very laid back and utterly relaxing. But, we find we have everything we need.
We stay at a motel called Lighthouse View. We get a huge oceanfront efficiency. It's important to us, after that long of a drive, to be ocean front! You get an ocean view deck on one side of the unit and on the other, overlooking the parking lot & route 12, there is a bay view with fabulous sunsets. There is a pool and hot tub, too. You are lookoing at 1400/ week or so depending on when you go, which leaves plenty of $ for mini golf, go karts, dining out, etc.
We like to rent an ocean kayak for the week. I think the company is called Atlantic Ocean rentals- they deliver.It's great for kids on calm days, and awesome for adults on not-so-calm days! ;-) You can also drive down to the free ferry to Ocracoke Island. Most people staying hthere fish, swim, kayak, build bonfires on the beach...we just love to unwind there.

Old 05-23-2011, 08:54 AM

43,264 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer View Post
We go to Buxton, which is on the outer banks. It's 4 hours drive but the last hour is on Route 12... down the outer banks- love it! Buxton is fairly remote- there is no outlet mall, no chain stores... you have to drive back north for that. It is very laid back and utterly relaxing. But, we find we have everything we need.
We stay at a motel called Lighthouse View. We get a huge oceanfront efficiency. It's important to us, after that long of a drive, to be ocean front! You get an ocean view deck on one side of the unit and on the other, overlooking the parking lot & route 12, there is a bay view with fabulous sunsets. There is a pool and hot tub, too. You are lookoing at 1400/ week or so depending on when you go, which leaves plenty of $ for mini golf, go karts, dining out, etc.
We like to rent an ocean kayak for the week. I think the company is called Atlantic Ocean rentals- they deliver.It's great for kids on calm days, and awesome for adults on not-so-calm days! ;-) You can also drive down to the free ferry to Ocracoke Island. Most people staying hthere fish, swim, kayak, build bonfires on the beach...we just love to unwind there.
I'm on post-vacation withdrawal, and you are NOT helping.....

Good info.

Old 05-23-2011, 10:44 AM

1,277 posts, read 3,546,799 times
We went to emerald isle last year - and used emerald isle realty -- they were so helpful in finding us exactly what we needed. I would use them again in a heartbeat. LIke you, I kept seeing whopping big homes and that wasn't what we wanted so I called and they narrowed it down and it was great. We stayed directly on emerald isle beach - indian and pine knoll shores are also nice out that way. It is quiet but plenty to do within 20 mins driving.

The other place we have stayed right on the beach in a small house was in cherry grove beach in North Myrtle Beach. It was basically a small cottage community that wasn't yet being touched by mega-homes -- but not sure if it is that way still.

as far as the mountains go...you can't go wrong with just about anything in the north carolina mountains in that price range you are talking about. anywhere on or near the blue ridge is just gorgeous. There is a city-data thread on western NC if you want to post there for suggestions or mountain cottages for rent and areas to look at..

Old 05-23-2011, 11:12 AM

15,714 posts, read 21,063,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dire Wolf View Post
Sorry, I stand corrected. I meant south of Duck...we took 64 over and were not impressed with the initial few miles headed north (through Kill Devil Hills, Nags Head). Once the road went down to one lane it was nice though.

Old 05-23-2011, 01:29 PM

754 posts, read 1,692,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter. View Post
Thanks for the suggestions - had not thought of va beach . Diggin the links now...

-peter
I'm not sure if things are the same now, but the constant jet engine noise was a bit fatiguing when we went to VA Beach. It was especially irritating when sitting on our room's balcony. We prefer Topsail Island, but it's a bit sleepy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary