U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 05:38 PM
rfb

1,348 posts, read 3,287,172 times

Advertisements

I always drive I-85 south to or near Atlanta, which I do several times a year. There are a few spots I prefer to avoid rush hour driving, but short of an accident it has never been that bad. The only thing that would give me pause is the drive to Douglasville. I-285 is to be avoided at all costs, and the I-85/I-285 interchange into Atlanta isn't great, but a better choice than taking I-285 IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2011, 05:45 PM

3,002 posts, read 4,576,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfrank2109 View Post
I agree that I-20 is an easy drive but I-95 is no piece of cake IMO. However if you take I-85 you'll have to take I-285 most of the way around Atlanta unless you want to go through town. I think I would take I-20.
whre and when do yuo have problems on I-95 in NC unless there is road constrction/paving?

having traveled the stretch of I-95 from Fl through MD frequently I'd say the Carolina portion is fine. When driving North I have a sense of dread as I approach the VA border and a sense of Delight as I hit the NC one. Typically experience smooth sailing going south until I hit Jacksonville, FL.

Old 05-23-2011, 06:26 PM

848 posts, read 861,110 times
I've driven Atlanta/Raleigh countless times in the last 25 years. I agree with the comments above. It depends partly on where in Atlanta you're going. 20 is a more relaxed drive and is less likely to be congested. Best-case, however -- like in the middle of the night -- 85 will get you there faster.

Or, if you're going to the Georgia mountains, take 40 to Asheville then US 74-441-23.

Old 05-23-2011, 07:32 PM

236 posts, read 162,027 times
What about going from Raleigh to downtown Atlanta, on Memorial Day weekend? Google says I-85 is about 30 minutes faster than I-20.

Old 05-23-2011, 08:51 PM

223 posts, read 517,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snapdragon12 View Post
What about going from Raleigh to downtown Atlanta, on Memorial Day weekend? Google says I-85 is about 30 minutes faster than I-20.
Unless you're traveling in the early, early morning or late, late evening, we stay away from I-85 headed in Atlanta. EVERY SINGLE TIME we take it, we end up crawling in advance of 985 all the way to 285 (from where it is 2 lanes and opens into 8). I-20 isn't always a breeze, but it's always a better trip for us (I do not trust Google!). I'm still raving about my US-1 south route instead of I-95. It is awesome. May take another 20 minutes, but it's so worth it to see some varied scenery rather than boring, boring, boring & possible traffic tie-ups.

Old 05-24-2011, 12:19 PM

414 posts, read 469,507 times
Default Confused, too

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
How do you get from Raleigh to I-20? It seems out of the way. I've always used I-85, and it takes 6 to 6-1/2 hours to get to Atlanta. Add another hour to Douglasville.
I'm confused also and must not get what you're asking. It is not a question of taking 85 or 20. I-85 runs north/south while I-20 runs east/west through ATL.

I lived in Douglasville for 5 years. Once you hit north of Atlanta, it will take you at least an hour (in good traffic) to get to Douglasville. You will take 75/85 to 20 W.

Old 05-24-2011, 01:34 PM

1,210 posts, read 1,525,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fly_widget View Post
I'm confused also and must not get what you're asking. It is not a question of taking 85 or 20. I-85 runs north/south while I-20 runs east/west through ATL.
The question is whether to take come into Atlanta from the northeast on 85 or from the east on 20.

To hit the east entry on 20, you would take 40 East from Raleigh to 95 South, and then pick up 20 West where it breaks off at Florence, SC.

The 40-95-20 route sounds like it would be out of the way, but it's really not as 40 runs pretty close to north-south through that section, then 95 starts bringing you to the southwest, and then shoots you pretty much straight in.

Google Maps says the 85 route through Charlotte is 25 miles shorter, but only 10 minutes shorter, so you could come out for the worse if you run into tie-ups around Charlotte.

I haven't driven in Atlanta, so I can't speak to whether you'd rather shoot all the way through east to west on 20 (coming in the 40-95-20 route) or stick to 285 around the edge (coming in 85 from Charlotte).

The other issue is where in the Triangle the OP is coming from. If they're up by Chapel Hill, 85 might be a better option. If they're in Garner, they'd probably want 95/20.

Old 05-24-2011, 02:25 PM

420 posts, read 1,259,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macjr82 View Post
whre and when do yuo have problems on I-95 in NC unless there is road constrction/paving?

having traveled the stretch of I-95 from Fl through MD frequently I'd say the Carolina portion is fine. When driving North I have a sense of dread as I approach the VA border and a sense of Delight as I hit the NC one. Typically experience smooth sailing going south until I hit Jacksonville, FL.
I guess it depends on your perspective. The NC/SC portion may be better when compared to the sections further North and South, but you have bad road condiitions, combined with 18 wheelers, campers, and exhausted drivers from points north and south. That's why I hate it.

Old 05-24-2011, 02:53 PM

414 posts, read 469,507 times
Default Okay...that cleared it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFspiderman View Post
The question is whether to take come into Atlanta from the northeast on 85 or from the east on 20.

To hit the east entry on 20, you would take 40 East from Raleigh to 95 South, and then pick up 20 West where it breaks off at Florence, SC.

The 40-95-20 route sounds like it would be out of the way, but it's really not as 40 runs pretty close to north-south through that section, then 95 starts bringing you to the southwest, and then shoots you pretty much straight in.

Google Maps says the 85 route through Charlotte is 25 miles shorter, but only 10 minutes shorter, so you could come out for the worse if you run into tie-ups around Charlotte.

I haven't driven in Atlanta, so I can't speak to whether you'd rather shoot all the way through east to west on 20 (coming in the 40-95-20 route) or stick to 285 around the edge (coming in 85 from Charlotte).

The other issue is where in the Triangle the OP is coming from. If they're up by Chapel Hill, 85 might be a better option. If they're in Garner, they'd probably want 95/20.
Thanks for the visual...it all makes sense now! Sorry - being new to Raleigh, I've never drive from here...

Depending on the time of day, I'd opt for 20. I swear 75/85 lanes are smaller than highway lanes and with the bad Atlanta drivers it would be better to avoid, if possible.

Old 05-25-2011, 06:26 AM

66 posts, read 49,826 times
If you are going to be going in the next few days/weeks, I would highly suggest the 40/95/20 route. There was a tractor trailer crash outside Spartansburg, SC that heavily damaged a bridge so there is a 1 lane detour off 85. It's supposed to reopen on Thursday, but who knows what it will be like (will probably still have significant repairs to do so there will be lane closures randomly the next few months). From what I read, there are 10 mile long backups going either way where the detour is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary