Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 06:12 AM

1,832 posts, read 5,090,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by peperoberto View Post
Why would it be fair for children from high income ['high achievement'] neighborhoods to get the first pick of good schools? Somebody's going to get the first pick in any plan that gives you four to five choices, so who should get to pick first?

AGREED. However, I think first pick should be the "base feeder" kids--kids that are closest to the schools that are in a logical feeder pattern. This would be like someone else said, though, and create the exact situation that the top magnets are in now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2011, 06:13 AM

1,106 posts, read 3,533,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnerMama View Post
I was thinking the same thing. The Blue plan doesn't seem too bad. I'm not sure how much I like the part about students from low performing neighborhoods receiving first pick of the better schools. How is that fair to all of the other kids and wouldn't that lead to lower performance from the good schools? It seems that all of our schools would be average. All I want is a good school, close to my darn house. I guess it's not that simple.
I do believe that good performing schools will be brought down by "low performing students" but, to what degree? More than likely not by much as there will not bee that many. Many "low performing students" do not have parents that are interested or even capable of taking their kid to another school out of district.

IT IS better to have a good school accept some "low performing students" over the higher performing ones. The high performing ones will be okay in the end. Everyone thinks that the schools are here to serve them. They are not. Public schools are public schools and have to think about what is best for the public now and in the future. So all said, it might not be fair to some students that already perform well to be first in line, but, it is best for the public.

Old 05-24-2011, 06:23 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,108,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annesg View Post
AGREED. However, I think first pick should be the "base feeder" kids--kids that are closest to the schools that are in a logical feeder pattern. This would be like someone else said, though, and create the exact situation that the top magnets are in now.
The problem in many of the closest school scenarios are still capacity issues (both under and over). Not everyone will be able to go to their closest school.
What priorities are they going to use for assignments? Will everyone get one of their top three choices? I'd love for my kid to go to AB Combs, which is currently overcrowded. If I rank that as my first choice, I highly doubt they are going to give it me considering the school up the street from me is under capacity. I think it looks like " choice" on paper, but really not much different than what is already in place today. They will still be pulling the strings to make assignments based on district needs, not my kid's needs.

Old 05-24-2011, 06:55 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,798,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike052082 View Post
I do believe that good performing schools will be brought down by "low performing students" but, to what degree? More than likely not by much as there will not bee that many..
This is true....we have a good amount of bused in kids in our school but break it down by class and it's not that many. Unfortunately their many needs and behavior problems do cause disruptions, and I think a lot of this is because they are being bused too far - I have the bus schedule, and these kids get on the bus at 6 a.m. - which means they have to be up at 5:30 at the latest. I would think it's pretty hard for a 5,6 or 7 year old to get the recommended 11 hours of sleep when they have to be up at that hour. There's a little girl in my DD's class is always rubbing her eyes and staring into space - I'm sure she's exhausted. Then they don't get home till an hour or more after school ends.

I'm glad if these parents will get a choice and I'm genuinely curious what they will choose.

Old 05-24-2011, 08:17 AM

600 posts, read 1,221,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike052082 View Post
I do believe that good performing schools will be brought down by "low performing students" but, to what degree? More than likely not by much as there will not bee that many. Many "low performing students" do not have parents that are interested or even capable of taking their kid to another school out of district.

IT IS better to have a good school accept some "low performing students" over the higher performing ones. The high performing ones will be okay in the end. Everyone thinks that the schools are here to serve them. They are not. Public schools are public schools and have to think about what is best for the public now and in the future. So all said, it might not be fair to some students that already perform well to be first in line, but, it is best for the public.
There is a difference between low performing schools and low performing students! I am all for this plan based on the situation I am in now. My son is a high performer and very bright. He is in a low performing school (high poverty, high ESL). His teacher told me he was capped out months ago because she has several interventions and many of her kids don't speak English. She has no time to try to challenge my son who comes home every day whining "When will I finally get to learn something new??" It looks like this plan would give me an out.
Luckily we got into a great magnet program for next year though so as long as they let me keep that through his schooling, we will be set

Old 05-24-2011, 08:38 AM

1,188 posts, read 2,545,664 times
As long as you give people choice, there will never be a completely fair way to determine who GETS their choice.

How does higher income = higher success? Are rich parents hiring people to do homework for their kids? Whether you're rich or poor, it all comes down to work ethic, which comes with quality parenting. So, maybe we should reward children who have parents that actually care to make sure their children get a good education, regardless of their income? Tell the parents that they have to submit their choices in person at 7am, then lets see which parents care enough to get their children a "better" education.

Old 05-24-2011, 09:19 AM

915 posts, read 2,382,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boardjnky4 View Post
As long as you give people choice, there will never be a completely fair way to determine who GETS their choice.

How does higher income = higher success? Are rich parents hiring people to do homework for their kids? Whether you're rich or poor, it all comes down to work ethic, which comes with quality parenting. So, maybe we should reward children who have parents that actually care to make sure their children get a good education, regardless of their income? Tell the parents that they have to submit their choices in person at 7am, then lets see which parents care enough to get their children a "better" education.
You just don't get it...

What if someone is working an hourly job at 7am that day? Not everyone has a job that offers paid time off, or time off at all. You work at a restaurant? If you're not sick, then you better be at work. Otherwise, you're fired.

Old 05-24-2011, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peperoberto View Post
You just don't get it...

What if someone is working an hourly job at 7am that day? Not everyone has a job that offers paid time off, or time off at all. You work at a restaurant? If you're not sick, then you better be at work. Otherwise, you're fired.
It wasn't a very well thought out post, and I certainly don't intend for my ramblings to be the gospel. Just an example to prove a point.

Also, for reference, I don't have any children so I don't really know what it's like for the parents that are dealing with this stuff.

Old 05-24-2011, 11:16 AM

1,682 posts, read 3,448,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boardjnky4 View Post
How does higher income = higher success? Are rich parents hiring people to do homework for their kids? Whether you're rich or poor, it all comes down to work ethic, which comes with quality parenting.
Do you really believe that the only variable involved in success is work ethic?

Old 05-24-2011, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roscomac View Post
Do you really believe that the only variable involved in success is work ethic?
I think that work ethic is a key value that so called "underprivileged" students seem to lack, from what I hear.

Of course there are always multiple factors. However, I believe that if EVERY "underprivileged" child went to school eager to work hard and learn, that we probably would never be having this conversation to begin with. Of course not all students would be getting A's, but not every "over privileged" child gets A's either.

Again, it's my opinion based on what I hear from teachers that work within school districts here, as well as in other places. In many cases, the message I am hearing is that "underprivileged" children (for the most part) just aren't interested in learning and achieving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary