Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 08:56 AM
jgb jgb started this thread

480 posts, read 1,343,789 times

Advertisements

We are in Cary, and my son asked me "are there boys who take ballet". My answer, well, in New York, yes, in Cary, I don't know . . .

So, does anyone know of schools that have boys, male teachers, or are at least more boy-friendly in terms of being more of a classical approach to ballet, which of course, includes men.

He would be interested in other dance classes, if there were any that included men or boys that would be great. BTW, he is 5.

We have many wonderful teachers in my kids lives, and they are 100% women. Even their doctor, dentist and our vet are women. A great change from when I grew up and all these roles were filled by men. That said, I think my son would benefit by having at least a few male role models, and he is not interested in joining team sports at this time. If he does pursue dance, it would be nice to find a place where there is a least a small male presence.

Growing up, my ballet teachers were a man and a woman, a couple from Poland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2011, 09:03 AM

1,501 posts, read 1,726,928 times
My daughter goes to the Raleigh School of Ballet. I have noticed a couple boys mixed in with the girls when I have taken her for class. There are apparently a couple of boys only classes, too. I don't know if those are taught by a man because the instructor for those isn't listed on their "faculty" page.

Old 05-24-2011, 09:22 AM

635 posts, read 1,617,265 times
The co-owners of Barriskill Dance Studio in Durham are both men and both ballet teach at the school, though I'm not certain which classes and whether there are young boys enrolled. I also know of a few boys who dance at Legacy Studios in Durham, and last I heard, tuition for boys was free there. Don't know if that's still the case.

Old 05-24-2011, 09:37 AM

1,832 posts, read 5,090,427 times
On of the dance teachers at Dancers Pointe in Cary is the mother of 4 boys (and one girl) and one of her sons takes dance. There are usually only a couple of boys there at a time, but I know they're certainly open to it!

Old 05-24-2011, 09:39 AM

Thanks to you both, for this info!

I am glad to learn that this is not as rare as I thought. Free tuition!

What a smart little guy I have to get involved in something where there may be such a demand for him! Forgot about bench warming!

Old 05-24-2011, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annesg View Post
On of the dance teachers at Dancers Pointe in Cary is the mother of 4 boys (and one girl) and one of her sons takes dance. There are usually only a couple of boys there at a time, but I know they're certainly open to it!
Thanks also for this info, we cross posted.

This thread is turning out to be a great resource.

Old 05-24-2011, 10:02 AM

1,611 posts, read 4,847,882 times
Very boy- friendly, and in Cary, to boot!
check it out: http://www.ibacary.com/

Old 05-24-2011, 10:12 AM

3,929 posts, read 2,953,541 times
Triangle Dance Academy is boy friendly. Some awesome male dancers there.

Old 05-24-2011, 10:15 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,824,929 times
Yes, I was going to mention Barriskill. I think every ballet class will always have a FEW boys but of course they will never outnumber the girls. Good for you for not refusing to let him partake in ballet!

Old 05-24-2011, 10:38 AM

Wow, thanks. I know there are a gazillion dance places around here, and I was thinking that by looking for a boy-friendly one, that would narrow it down, but it seems I am still going to have to do a bit of research, given the the options
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary