U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2011, 12:14 PM

166 posts, read 427,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardita View Post
North Raleigh is affluent/moderately affluent. "ITB" or inside the beltline meaning inside 440 is old Raleigh, families who have been here for generations, tends to be closed society.
At the risk of highly offending someone (sometimes it's just worth it ) "ITB" must be the politically correct term. When we moved here we were told by several locals that the people residing south of the beltline (which was the north 440 route around Raleigh at the time) were referred to as SOB's (South Of Beltline-ers) and the people residing north of the beltline were SNOBS (Slightly North Of Beltline-ers).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2011, 12:07 PM

1,463 posts, read 3,904,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof3grls View Post
At the risk of highly offending someone (sometimes it's just worth it ) "ITB" must be the politically correct term. When we moved here we were told by several locals that the people residing south of the beltline (which was the north 440 route around Raleigh at the time) were referred to as SOB's (South Of Beltline-ers) and the people residing north of the beltline were SNOBS (Slightly North Of Beltline-ers).

Hilarious

Old 06-05-2011, 05:23 PM

2 posts, read 1,905 times
I think often people are surprised to find how afluent and option filled North Carolina is. I of course love the area, after relocating here from Michigan. you have the best of all worlds here, the mountains, the shore...lots of shopping, great dining and entertainment. I really feel you cant go wrong coming to North Carolina. Having lived in Charlotte, Greensboro and Raleigh, I find that Raleigh provides me with the best in terms of a blend of safety and excitement. Be sure to research local parks and other things of interest.

Old 06-19-2011, 12:12 PM

18 posts, read 16,365 times
Quote:
I've been here almost 20 years and I've never heard that. lol

Old 06-19-2011, 12:57 PM

23,028 posts, read 17,978,006 times
You may not find the same rich level of ethnic diversity that is well educated and economically upper class here as there. There is a rich mix in the DC suburbs of affluence and education amongst a very broad spectrum of the population. Folks their are more specifically identifed as by their national place of origin or ancestry. Here there is a tendency amongst some to lump everyone who has ancestry south of the border as Mexican. Here the percentage of affluent ethnic minorities might not be as high in some areas. Also remember when your husband was in high school the schools here may have still been segregated and the outlook on the world by older natives here may not be the same as younger. Especially regarding who should and who shouldn't have what in the way of economic security and wealth.

Old 06-19-2011, 02:06 PM

104 posts, read 195,086 times
Quote:
LMAO! Had not heard of the SOBs and the SNOBs! Have only been here 3 years but have been fully immersed in the societal stratifications. Speaking of which, this is when the secret men's society announces their selections of the years debutantes from throughout the state. Lord, help us all!

Old 06-19-2011, 03:13 PM

1,943 posts, read 1,223,025 times
Quote:
How appropriate in the era of obsessive political correctness -- an inclusive, equal opportunity insult for people on both sides of the beltline.

Old 06-19-2011, 11:22 PM

7,574 posts, read 9,599,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LendingAdvisor1 View Post
I think often people are surprised to find how afluent and option filled North Carolina is. I of course love the area, after relocating here from Michigan. you have the best of all worlds here, the mountains, the shore...
NC doesn't have "the shore"...we have "the beach"!

Old 06-19-2011, 11:23 PM

7,574 posts, read 9,599,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by impatientgirl View Post
I've been here almost 20 years and I've never heard that. lol
I've been here over 40 and I've never heard it.

Old 06-19-2011, 11:24 PM

12,139 posts, read 7,295,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
I've been here over 40 and I've never heard it.
Same here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary