Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 08:46 AM

30 posts, read 177,626 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I'm a house buying in Cary.

The house was inspected and it was determined there was too much humidity/ AC condensation in the crawl space (and it is truly a "crawl", about 3 ft maximum).

It was recommenced that we put in additional vents, and/or install a de-humidifier. But it seems like a huge hassle to put in a de-humidifier as I would have to run electric down there and need to "crawl" down there every few days to empty :-(....

I'm curious if the community can recommend anything further... Is this a typical problem in the triangle? Is a de-humidifier a typical solution and is there ways to "automate" the water removal?

Also, since this house is 17 years old, and possibly been an issue all those years, is there something I should be looking out for damage wise?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2011, 09:11 AM

1,484 posts, read 4,154,484 times
Default de-humidifier

de-humidify is the answer. I have done this myself and it isnt expensive but it is alot of labor.

Seal crawlspace floor with plastic (going up the walls to grade helps. Seal seams with duct mastic and to wall. (this is the hardest part.) Seal all openings to outside like holes for pipes.

Seal crawlvents from air

Then install de-humidifier.

worked perfectly for me.

More vents=more air=more humidity. This about you need lower humidity. What is the humidity like in the summer here. Well over 50% which is ripe for mold. Now with more vents how is the air there going to have less humidity? It doesnt thats why people still get mold.

sometimes just doing the floor helps enough. What is on the floor now?

Old 05-26-2011, 09:17 AM

1,188 posts, read 2,543,889 times
They make dehumidifiers that will drain with a pipe. That means you have to get it into a drain somwhere though.

Old 05-26-2011, 09:59 AM

2,459 posts, read 8,075,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boardjnky4 View Post
They make dehumidifiers that will drain with a pipe. That means you have to get it into a drain somwhere though.
Maybe I'm not following but wouldn't the AC air handler have a condensate drain? Or is the OP saying that he doesn't have one?

Frank

Old 05-26-2011, 10:22 AM

1,188 posts, read 2,543,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankpc View Post
Maybe I'm not following but wouldn't the AC air handler have a condensate drain? Or is the OP saying that he doesn't have one?

Frank
No you're right, you can definitely tap into that. I didn't even think about it.

Some people looking for quicker solutions may just go ahead with a standard unit that has a bucket of sorts that collects the water. It's the lazy way.

Old 05-26-2011, 10:27 AM

4,003 posts, read 10,836,916 times
Seal the vents with Polystyrene rigid foam board, get a dehumidifier from Lowes (we install Frigidaire 50 pint models quite often), run 3/4" pvc for the condensate line to the exterior. It works like a champ! Feel free to message me with any questions.
You will need:
electrical provisions if you do not already have an outlet
3/4" PVC/couplings and threaded female to slip female adapter for the dehumidifier
Polystyrene 1/2" (in the insulation aisle) cut to fit, typically 8" x 16"
expandable foam in a can to seal around the perimeter of the polystyrene

The dehumidifier needs to plug directly into an outlet, no extension cords or you will get dinged for that.

Old 05-26-2011, 11:03 AM

1,751 posts, read 3,686,955 times
My dehumidifier has a bucket I can empty OR attach a piece of garden hose to a pipe that sticks in the back. Alas, I can't get it to work so I'm still emptying buckets.

Old 05-26-2011, 12:22 PM

56 posts, read 197,982 times
Depending on the age of your house you should have plastic down in the crawl (not just dirt). If there isn't plastic try that first. 6 mil minimum. It can help stop the moisture rising from the ground add to the already humid air.

Dehumidifier would be the least expensive option. I would find a way to have it drain to the outside even if it is ending at the foundation drain at the low point of the house (if there is one). Unloading buckets will get old and be hard to remember to do.

Old 05-26-2011, 12:42 PM

2,863 posts, read 4,674,752 times
My builders grade plastic barrier broke down rather quickly and I had significant moisture in my crawl space. Instead of using Lowes and Home Depot grade plastics I figured I'd redo it once and redo it right. I forget which concrete supply company I bought it from, but I bought 2400 Sq Ft of Raven vapor retarder in 15 mil. That was enough to cover my floors and walls. The cost through the concrete supply store was significantly less than what I could find on line....I think that I paid either $400 or $500 for it and the 3 rolls of special bonding tape for the seams. 15 mil may be overkill but it's thick enough to walk on over gravel and it won't puncture. Last year before I installed it I had water dripping from my insulated ductwork and my insulation was falling down. After installing it and running a dehumidifier for two weeks, it was dry. Since your crawl space air gets sucked into your house I was also seeing condensation on my upstairs hallway AC vent. That was remedied with the crawl space vapor retarder. So, while I'm sure that thinner barriers will work, consider spending a little more for something that has a longer guarantee.

I'm also using the dehumidifier for a few weeks this spring. Caution: even though it appears to be dry I am still taking the precaution to make sure I monitor the humidity each spring/summer. As is, with the crawl space looking and feeling dry I am getting water out of it. My vents are closed but I have not sealed them up yet.

oops, just remembered: the roll of Raven that I bought weighed either 200 or 300lbs. You will need a truck or minivan to haul it home

Last edited by C_Lan; 05-26-2011 at 12:46 PM.. Reason: forgot to mention....

Old 05-26-2011, 12:50 PM

30 posts, read 177,626 times
Thanks to all for the feedback. Sounds like a de-humidifier is kinda common.

By the way, as clarification, there is already vapor barrier, the condensation (little droplets) are quite pervasive, though there are no puddles. There is also condensation under the AC duct work (which one would expect if they are cooler than the surrounding air)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary