U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2007, 01:14 PM

492 posts, read 1,909,656 times

Advertisements

The lawn at our "new" 15 year old house in Cary has patches of what I assume is crabgrass: coarse, flat, sends out runners....

What's the best way to get rid of it? Any good products for killing crabgrass without killing lawn?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2007, 01:28 PM

31,294 posts, read 54,760,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_newcomer View Post
The lawn at our "new" 15 year old house in Cary has patches of what I assume is crabgrass: coarse, flat, sends out runners....

What's the best way to get rid of it? Any good products for killing crabgrass without killing lawn?
Pull it out. That's about it.

Anything that will kill it this time of year will kill your fescue lawn which is already stressed due to heat.

Crabgrass spray will work but is not recommended in hot weather. It's in the fine print on the bottle.

The best way to control crabgrass is with a February and May application of Halts or other pre-emergent.

Old 08-04-2007, 01:28 PM

5,348 posts, read 14,962,795 times
Quote:

I've used MSMA to kill crabgrass and other grassy weeds in my previous house's bermuda lawn and I thought that it worked well. It is a liquid that is used in a hose-end sprayer.

I haven't been able to find it lately though, so I'm trying Scott's weed & feed for crabgrass at my new house. It's too early to tell how well this is working. This is a granule that I'm using a rotary spreader to apply.

I should say that my current house also has a bermuda lawn.

Old 08-04-2007, 01:31 PM

306 posts, read 1,001,505 times
I think I know what you mean. Though if I'll be glad to be corrected by others if the big clumps that once appeared in my grass are something besides crabgrass.

The best stuff I have used is Scotts Lawn feed and Crab Grass preventer. I have been told to use it in late February before the Crabgrass seed germinates. Otherwise, you'll just have to dig up the clumps, then seed the holes in early fall.

Bm

Old 08-04-2007, 01:39 PM

820 posts, read 2,490,671 times
Ditto what Mike said. The best thing you can do this time of year is pull it out but MAKE SURE you use your hands and get the roots as well, or it'll be back in two days. There's a small window of time when the ground is still frosted before crabgrass starts to emerge and that is the best time to treat it, before you see it! The more fescue, the less room for crabgrass to grow... Other than pre-emergent the best thing to do is overseed and patch any dead spots.
Unless you're going to be very diligent with watering I'd wait until the fall however. Good luck and welcome to having a lawn in the triangle sun!

Old 08-04-2007, 04:30 PM

13,617 posts, read 25,127,474 times
Digitaria - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Know your enemy...

Old 08-05-2007, 09:35 AM

492 posts, read 1,909,656 times
Thanks for the info/advice.

I can't figure out what kind of grass we have -- nothing I saw in the Pacific NW!

The lawn has a coarse, broad blade. Fescue? Bermuda? It's a 15 year old house in Cary, in the Parkway PUD (in case than info helps).

It's browning off now (to the best of my knowledge it probably as not been watered since May, and I'll let it go dormant).

Old 08-05-2007, 11:02 AM

31,294 posts, read 54,760,509 times
Quote:

I can't figure out what kind of grass we have -- nothing I saw in the Pacific NW!

The lawn has a coarse, broad blade. Fescue? Bermuda? It's a 15 year old house in Cary, in the Parkway PUD (in case than info helps).

It's browning off now (to the best of my knowledge it probably as not been watered since May, and I'll let it go dormant).
I would venture to say that it is Tall Fescue, the most common grass in Parkway. Definitely not bermuda.
BTW, I live around the corner in Giverny, just mowed, and my fescue looks pitiful.

Old 08-05-2007, 11:48 AM

820 posts, read 2,490,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
I would venture to say that it is Tall Fescue, the most common grass in Parkway. Definitely not bermuda.
BTW, I live around the corner in Giverny, just mowed, and my fescue looks pitiful.
Well at least you're not alone! I'd say the same for my lawn and I'd guess many others if you live in anything relatively new since all of the developers clearcut the land to maximize the number of lots these days. It may sound silly to some but tree shading for the lawn is going to be a MUST when looking for my next home.

Old 08-06-2007, 12:54 PM

5,463 posts, read 5,745,919 times
Quote:

Just to agree, this sounds like tall fescue. If it's survived this long without getting really brown and dead looking, you're in better shape than you know...

Since no one else has mentioned it, look at North Carolina State University TurfFiles - Turfgrass Management, Lawn Care, Turf Tips, Research and Turfgrass Science Academics Program for local advice on dealing with the lawn. It's not all that complicated, it just takes a few seasons of consistent effort to get things looking good. Follow the schedule on this site (and ignore Scott's marketing a bunch of extra products you don't need) and you'll be well on your way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary