Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2007, 10:42 PM

56 posts, read 414,304 times

Advertisements

Here is a good BBQ page:

H. Kent Craig's North Carolina Barbecue Website

I grew up right down the street from Olde time BBQ. They have always had bad tasting BBQ IMO.

Anyone who can say that Dixe Belles has good BBQ then I have a question for you. Your not from here, are you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2007, 05:50 AM

107 posts, read 425,190 times
Default definitely allen and sons

I agree with the Allen and Sons being the best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
I've got to second the PP's opinion on Ole Time BBQ. We went there last night for dinner and we were really disappointed. The staff, however, was attentive, polite, and a pleasure to deal with.

While it's not Raleigh, I've been to 2 places in the Chapel Hill area that I liked. The first is Allen and Son on Millhouse road. The second is The Barbeque Joint on Weaver Dairy. The best part about The Barbeque Joint is that there is a phenomenal beer store right in the same shopping center called, modestly, The Good Beer Store. They have one of the most extensive and unique beer selections I've found. No Bud/Miller/Coors in there.

I'm a Texas 'cue boy, so I go to Dannys for their brisket more than anything else. I've never even tried their pork. Also, for Texas-style BBQ, I hear that there is a place in Garner, on Tryon, called Holy Smokes. This is close to Raleigh. It was started by some guys who worked at Rudy's BBQ in San Antonio. There was a Rudy's in Dallas and I liked it. They actually had BBQ prime rib there. Also, in Cary at the Crossroads Mall (near Bear Rock Cafe) there will be a Dickey's BBQ opening soon. I used to go to Dickey's a lot while I lived in Dallas because it was very close to my house. Better than Danny's for brisket.

Old 08-05-2007, 05:55 AM

43,264 posts, read 77,043,330 times
If one gets too focused on the quest for "the Best," one will miss some fine dining experiences.

I have enjoyed Eastern NC pulled pork 'cue in a few dozen places.
Which is "the Best?" Who knows?
The hungrier I am, the better I enjoy it.
I have only regretted a couple of plates of 'cue out of all my fine dining experiences.

Sheesh...
Haven't had breakfast yet, and my mouth is watering...

Old 08-05-2007, 08:56 AM

Location: Between a nook-a-ler reactor and a dump, North Cackalacky
283 posts, read 1,259,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeckerFagen View Post
Anyone who can say that Dixe Belles has good BBQ then I have a question for you. Your not from here, are you?
I'm not.

What is the issue w/ Dixie Belle BBQ? I am genuinely curious.

My native NC friends approve of it too.......

Old 08-05-2007, 09:08 AM

820 posts, read 2,787,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tee-tee View Post
I'm not.

I wouldn't worry about it, people just have different tastes and it's a bit elitist to act like only natives are "in the know". I've never been to Dixie's but I'm willing to give it a try. I was born here and raised on eastern style NC BBQ, but I enjoy, Lexington, and Texas styles as well.

Old 08-05-2007, 10:07 AM

43,264 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlh1005 View Post
I wouldn't worry about it, people just have different tastes and it's a bit elitist to act like only natives are "in the know". I've never been to Dixie's but I'm willing to give it a try. I was born here and raised on eastern style NC BBQ, but I enjoy, Lexington, and Texas styles as well.
I have found that when traveling, if one finds local food, done well to local standards, one will find some good eatin'.

But having said that, I sure adjusted quickly to barbecue, Eastern North Carolina style...

Old 08-05-2007, 12:11 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,545,629 times
NC natives generally do not even acknowledge other forms of BBQ as BBQ. Even the ones who like Texas BBQ will almost always refer to it by whatever it specifically is (brisket, ribs) but at no time will they call it "barbecue."

So as a non-NC native you're gonna have to shrug it off. Shut up and eat. It's the best thing to do there.

Old 08-05-2007, 12:24 PM

190 posts, read 574,914 times
Ok, maybe I need to give the "western-style" BBQ a chance again. What are some good places to try that at? (I tried it at the Blue Mist years ago and I was FAR from impressed...)

Old 08-05-2007, 12:41 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,517,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tee-tee View Post
I'm not.

This poster bashed anything his relative(website he posted) didn't review well in the past. Basically if it's not a local place that is true NC BBQ he will bash it. All you have to do is look at that website and read a review to realize it's far from any kind of expert review.

You'll find a lot of NC BBQ elitist around here, this poster is a perfect example.

Old 08-05-2007, 01:45 PM

1,540 posts, read 5,561,845 times
Nahunta Pork Center Outlet
In Raleigh, NC Is Located
At The NC State Farmers Market
Off I 40 West Bound Exit 297
Right Onto Lake Wheeler Rd. North
OR I 40 East Bound Exit 297
Left Onto Lake Wheeler Rd. North
Then Next left At The Traffic Light
Onto Centennial Park Way And
Then The Next Right Into
The NC State Farmers Market
Is Located In The North West Conner [CENTER] http://www.nahuntapork.com/pics/raleighmap.gif (broken link)
http://www.nahuntapork.com/pics/raleigh.jpg (broken link)

At the North Carolina State
Farmers Market
Raleigh, NC 27603
(919) 831-1848 (Pork Center Outlet)
Click here for Map Quest
Driving Directions
[/CENTER]

The best barbeque is at the Farmers Market in Raleigh. I just bought it for the first time yesterday and loved it. So many people have told me about this place, and they were right. I even bought Pork Chops there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary