Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 09:19 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,249,994 times

Advertisements

I've been asked why I was speaking "city talk" when visiting my redneck relations.

You do wind up having to fall back on the old "when in Rome" adage.

Then again, people here accuse one of being a snob simply by virtue of what city/town and neighborhood(s) they prefer.

I don't get it, as I accept people for pretty much what they are.

If someone likes a given thing? Let'em like it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2011, 10:40 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,822,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamish Forbes View Post
But it's still OK to categorize other people as "older sort of redneck types" and "sort of Hee Haw types" ?
He (she?) said "redneck/Hee Haw types", not "rednecks". There is a difference. We all know the stereotypes/archetypes and can identify what someone means when they say them. As long as they don't presume that all members of a certain demographic fit a stereotype or that someone who fits some traits will automatically fit all traits, it's not "bigoted".

Calling someone a "redneck type" is not the same as calling them a redneck, and even if so, it's talking about individuals, not a whole group, which is the danger. Some people really ARE "rednecks" in actions, just as some individuals really are [fill in the blank offensive term]" in their mannerisms. Extrapolating from an individual to a whole group is where the problem is.

Old 06-01-2011, 12:14 PM

2,991 posts, read 4,288,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
He (she?) said "redneck/Hee Haw types", not "rednecks". There is a difference. We all know the stereotypes/archetypes and can identify what someone means when they say them. As long as they don't presume that all members of a certain demographic fit a stereotype or that someone who fits some traits will automatically fit all traits, it's not "bigoted".

Calling someone a "redneck type" is not the same as calling them a redneck, and even if so, it's talking about individuals, not a whole group, which is the danger. Some people really ARE "rednecks" in actions, just as some individuals really are [fill in the blank offensive term]" in their mannerisms. Extrapolating from an individual to a whole group is where the problem is.
Pedantic baloney. Read the poster's "point made" comment.

Old 06-01-2011, 01:02 PM

18 posts, read 31,268 times
Ok back to your actual question... As for the culinary side of things, I am no help there. I don't think that the Triangle has caught up to itself as far as food is concerned. As for your living situation, definitely look at a short term rent first. Yes Morrisville, Apex, and Cary are central to everywhere within about an hour's drive. That way if you switch your training location you will not be farther away. A short lease would give you flexibility to get grounded locally and make a good educated choice for what is right for your family. good luck

Old 06-01-2011, 04:08 PM

1,733 posts, read 2,180,822 times
I'm black...and I LOOOOOOVE the Triangle!

I spent some time in your neck of the woods. It's....DIFFERENT. I think you'll like it here a lot.

GOOD LUCK!!!!

Old 06-05-2011, 10:00 PM

14 posts, read 31,112 times
Default Thanks for this post

I am looking at Cary/Raleigh/Charlotte for relocation. I live in Atlanta and I fall in the same category, kind of. Single with children, but I freelance for a living and go to school. So my job can go wherever I go. I just want to go to a smaller area (than Atlanta) but still be able to have fun with my daughters. I have one degree and I am working on another, both are in health care. I don't think I'll have to much of a problem but it is always scary moving with kids. These posts are great! Makes me feel so much better, now I have to come visit one weekend soon.

Oh wait, I'm black too almost forgot... <smiles>

Old 06-06-2011, 09:37 PM

5 posts, read 7,652 times
Just mentioning Charolotte for some reason, I always get negative feedback.I have been told that it is not the place to raise children. I had also considered relocating there to attend J/W college. Heard they are alot of gangs in the area. I have had only positive feedback on the triangle area, and not only from these post. I have a sister who lives in the area and gave me the specifics about the crime the schools and etc. Apex, cary, morrisville, and hollysprings I have been told that are great areas, great schools, low crime...I plan to visit the area at the end on this month..Good Luck to u also..and thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary