Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 05:04 PM

70 posts, read 129,177 times

Advertisements

Hello all!

I have a 1998 Honda Civic with 190k miles on it that I’m trying to keep running until this December. It’s had a few issues recently (radiator problems, need for new spark plugs, etc.) and I’ve already spent over $1,000 on repairs which is just awful for a car that I only plan to keep about 7 more months.

The last auto mechanic place I went to suggested a new timing belt and water pump since the car is way overdue for them.

I may end up getting it done by that same auto place, but I wanted to see if anyone had any suggestions for cheap, but competent service for timing belts and water pumps in the Raleigh area (I'm located in Northeast Raleigh, but willing to travel a little).

Thanks for any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2011, 07:26 PM

273 posts, read 560,358 times
Call Dale's Honda and Acura at 919-673-6586. I use him to service our Honda's. Great to work with. I have given his info to several others and they have been nothing but satisfied. He actually comes to you. He has a 50ft trailer hooked up to his truck and he does all the work himself. You won't be disappointed. Note he works M-F. He is honest and will let you know what you will actually need and if it will even be worth it.

Old 05-29-2011, 09:00 PM

1,357 posts, read 4,013,751 times
Tao Auto on Capital Blvd has always done great, affordable work on my car. Having said that, I had my timing belt and water pump done before I moved here, also at a great, affordable place and it is expensive! Not something you can cut corners on unless you find some mechanic willing to do it at his house and charge you less labor (if that's even legal or whatever). Are you actually noticing any signs that they need to be replaced, other than just knowing it's way overdue?

Old 05-29-2011, 10:12 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,300,534 times
I don't know if your engine is an interference engine. If NOT, you can safely run it without fear of damage if the timing belt goes. From my understanding, at least with Volvos, they typically break with AGE, not mileage.

If your engine however is an interference engine, you need to change it ASAP or delaying will cost a lot of $$.

To easily find out just google your make/model and "interference engine" or better yet, your engine model and "interference engine".

Just have a mechanic on speed dial because there is a chance it will go. If you require your car to be reliable, it would be wiser to change it now. FWIW I changed the belt/pump/rollers out on my own car, turned a $600 service into a $220 service + 4 hours, so I reckon I "earned" $100/hr for the time spent doing it. Well worth it .

Old 05-30-2011, 01:50 AM

569 posts, read 1,972,503 times
From everything I have read it is an interference engine. If the timing belt breaks in an interference engine, the pistons and valves can hit each other breaking them and possibly damaging a lot else inside the engine. You can check your owners manual for the recommended timing belt change interval to see if it is really needed. If you are not the original owner and have not had the timing belt changed since you owned it, you should assume that it needs changing. The interval is usually 70-100k miles and 6-8 years so if it has never been changed it is way past due. It will usually run with no signs of trouble until the belt breaks and then it is usually too late.

Don't know who to recommend, but my Nissan is due for one and I am trying to decide whether or not to do it myself.

Old 05-30-2011, 04:11 AM

248 posts, read 752,087 times
Since u only need the car for 7 months , take a chance and just drive it easy

Old 05-30-2011, 06:17 AM

2,459 posts, read 8,048,572 times
Honda's are typically interference engines and engine damage will result if the belt breaks. I always thought Honda made a poor engineering choice there ... Unfortunately you can't reliably do a visible check of the belt. I've seen broken belts that looked pristine (except for where they were broken).
Honda folks I know use Tao. Unfortunately it won't be cheap.

Frank

Old 05-30-2011, 07:07 AM

1,521 posts, read 2,755,014 times
It is an interference motor, timing belt/WP should be done every 90k (conservatively 60k on Hondas) but as you can see, they are built to last. You will have signs of the WP going, for the timing belt, no warning.

For that car a good price including parts would be in the high $200's (really good) to $300's (deal). Average probably $450-$550 and any more than that you're getting taken for a ride.

That motor is a breeze to work on, any competent shop can easily do it. A shop that specializes in Hondas will do it in their sleep, and do it right, thats the route I would go.

Old 05-30-2011, 08:06 PM

1,219 posts, read 3,282,483 times
Too bad you're in Raleigh. Wasp Automotive is great & Very fair prices!

Home

Old 05-31-2011, 08:15 AM

277 posts, read 795,121 times
Call Wayne - he owns Oliver's Mobile Mechanic. If u don't want to drive to his shop in Selma, he'll come to you. He is extremely well priced and very knowledgeable. His number is 919-333-1312.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary