Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 01:21 PM

321 posts, read 880,387 times

Advertisements

Don't bother with Figure 8 unless you own property there (or know someone who does!) Its private.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2011, 01:52 PM

1,310 posts, read 2,939,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
No matter which beach you ultimately choose as your "go to" beach, I implore you. Don't go buy a stupid OIB, OBX, etc sticker for your car. They look touristy, and tell people where to find you when you're on vacation.

While I'm at it, the same can be said off all those stickers that instruct ne'er do wells on the precise educational institution in which to find your adorable honor student.
Or the "My juvenile delinquent beat up your honor role student" sticker...

Old 05-31-2011, 02:15 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h2ohzrd View Post
or the "my juvenile delinquent beat up your honor role student" sticker...
lol!

Old 06-01-2011, 08:59 AM

169 posts, read 541,014 times
any opinions of Atlantic Beach, NC?

Old 06-01-2011, 01:47 PM

3,065 posts, read 8,899,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StMichael929 View Post
between
Morehead City, Beaufort, Atlantic Beach, and the rest of Carteret (minus Emerald Isle) this is my favorite coastal area. Less crowded than Wrightsville, less of a trek than OBX, with plenty to do for nature and history buffs.

Old 06-01-2011, 06:31 PM

1,442 posts, read 2,564,324 times
Quote:
Vacationed at Atlantic Beach last year (in mid-Sept) Loved it, but maybe that was more because it was less crowded - but did like the para-sailing in the bay, ferry to the lighthouse, the beach itself, the stuff in Morehead City, etc. -and it was 3/4 deserted even though it was like 90 degrees and sunny - it was like we had it all to ourselves.

For the daytrip, only been to Wrightsville and Carolina Beach (this past Sun) I prefer Carolina Beach - parking, and stuff being close by - has a mini-boardwalk with bars, food, sundries, carnival rides all together in one walkable spot, right on the edge of the beach - AND WE DROVE RIGHT INTO CENTER OF TOWN AND PARKED FOR FREE IN AN EMPTY LOT RIGHT AT THE EDGE OF THE BEACH (never happen in Wrightsville) We left at 7:10 am and arrived at 9:20 - driving about 75 mph, but from Clayton, not Raleigh - Wrightsville is about 10 min closer. When we left for home about 1:30, traffic was backed up 2 miles or so going to Carolina/Kure Beaches from Wilmington.

Old 06-02-2011, 08:37 AM

323 posts, read 634,067 times
I've been to Wrightsville Beach a few times. We loved the beach and the restaurants and shopping close by. We have pre-teens, so they don't enjoy to much "quiet". Once we stayed at a hotel right over the bridge onto Wrightsville (Blockade Hotel?). The hotel was pretty good, 3 1/2 star, but my kids love the breakfast buffet, and I love that its included with the room. We save a lot of money that way! (Have a big breakfast, small lunch, then we can have a nice dinner.)

Old 06-03-2011, 03:38 PM

122 posts, read 431,813 times
We have used more of the beaches mentioned in this tread over a 40+ year period. The answer is...it depends on what you want.

For us, Oak Island is the answer. The answer faces south, so the surf is about 1/2 of what one experiences with beaches facing east. This is far better for young ones (and old ones)--but not surfers.

There are primarily houses--the commercial area is limited to grocery stores and a few shops. So one has to like the beach, water, and perhaps surf fishing--and kites (but the wind is better at Outer Banks). The houses are typically one week rental. A nice, ocean front place with 4 BR will be $2800-3500/week. A similar size very nice place will be about $4,000.

Distance wise, it takes slightly less time to get to Oak Island (which is mostly interstate).

Old 06-04-2011, 05:33 PM

402 posts, read 589,636 times
I love the Wilmington and Wrightsville Beach areas. Shell Island Resort is a great place to stay.

Figure Eight is wonderful as well. You can rent homes on Figure Eight for a weekend or for a whole week. Well worth it. One of the most relaxing places I know.

Old 06-04-2011, 06:13 PM

2,023 posts, read 3,239,881 times
Quote:
Atlantic Beach is less crowded and has a few tourist attractions including the aquarium and historic fort. It just depends on what you are looking for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary