Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2007, 02:14 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,230,653 times

Advertisements

Forget the snow blower...unless it will blow the leaves off your lawn in October!

If it snows or sleets or there is ice on the road...they'll just cancel schools and close stores and its a DAY OFF!

Stay home, play with the kids and ENJOY!

Vicki
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2007, 02:27 PM

7,573 posts, read 10,616,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
Forget the snow blower...unless it will blow the leaves off your lawn in October!

If it snows or sleets or there is ice on the road...they'll just cancel schools and close stores and its a DAY OFF!

Stay home, play with the kids and ENJOY!

Vicki
For most, that would work....although in nursing...have to venture out in any type of weather. I am a panic during the winter months, fearful of driving in snow, or even worse, ice.

Old 08-05-2007, 02:31 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,545,629 times
If they cancel so much stuff how do hundreds of collisions happen in Raleigh anytime there is an ice storm?

What are they out there for?

Old 08-05-2007, 02:33 PM

7,573 posts, read 10,616,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
If they cancel so much stuff how do hundreds of collisions happen in Raleigh anytime there is an ice storm?

What are they out there for?
Must be some of us nurses.......

Old 08-05-2007, 02:36 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,545,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeannie216 View Post
Must be some of us nurses.......
I know....a certain wonderful Tar Heel lady now in TX with me worked at WakeMed in Raleigh. It doesn't matter to them what's going on outside.

Old 08-05-2007, 02:42 PM

5,743 posts, read 17,594,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oliver0729 View Post
I am moving in approx 6 weeks from PA to Cary. I have heard there is not much winter weather in the area compared to PA (snow, ice, sleet...)

1st Question - Is this true?

2nd Question - Do I need to bring my snow blower?

I am sure its a stupid question but I need to know to sell it before I move or pack it up

Thanks
I spent the first 21 years of my life in PA (Pittsburgh to be exact). I now live in Raleigh.

I don't own a snowblower. I don't own a snow shovel. I don't own a coat. . . just a Polartek jacket. I don't even own snow tires. . . . heck, my tires aren't even "all season" tires. It snowed maybe once or twice last winter and I still was able to get to work with no problems.

Old 08-05-2007, 06:02 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,153,963 times
Not as often as in PA but a real mess here.

Old 08-05-2007, 08:43 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,096,719 times
We don't own any snow equiptment except a bag of ice salt mixed with gravel in case of ice. That's it. Cary is really good about getting streets plowed quickly (for NC standards). Raleigh was horrible about it. I remember once YEARS ago, we had a major snow storm in Raleigh of over 24 inches (like a once in every 50 years event) and after a week, we FINALLY saw the snow plow in our neighborhood. He drove up our culdesac and turned around with his plow UP! He never even did our street! I was so MAD! Cary hired a crew from NY to come down and plow and it was done in 2 days.

Word of warning: stay off the roads when is snows here. It's a disaster waiting to happen. People drive like weirdos here even when it rains. You have people who CAN"T drive in snow and then you have the jerks who are convinced they drive 70 MPH in it, when you combine the two groups on the roads, it's usually not good.

Old 08-05-2007, 08:52 PM

3,031 posts, read 9,084,943 times
I had to chuckle at this post. We're possibly moving down to NC from MA. Yes, we're planning to leave the snowblower, though we might take the shovel....

Actually, we don't own a snowblower because our driveway is almost 1/4 mile long and it would take forever. We pay someone to plow us out (very common here).

The reason I chuckled is that when I was last down there in June, I was checking out houses in Chapel Hill and I saw one with a fairly long gravel driveway and my first thought was "boy, that's going to be a b*tch to plow out in the winter". Then I realized that no one needs to have their driveway
plowed out. I'm also fairly sure that people with pick-up trucks do not put plow hitches on the front come winter hoping to make some extra bucks plowing people out. And for heaven's sake, what do the landscapers do in the winter time to make extra money? All the landscapers and yard work companies here spend their winters plowing driveways. They love blizzards. Ka-ching, ka-ching, ka-ching!

Old 08-05-2007, 09:15 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,230,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeannie216 View Post
For most, that would work....although in nursing...have to venture out in any type of weather. I am a panic during the winter months, fearful of driving in snow, or even worse, ice.
jeannie, when hubby worked at Wake Med, he was one of those that had to be there even when it snowed or we had ice. He managed to get in, no matter what. If he couldn't, they'd send someone out for him. Problem was, then they'd keep him until someone could bring him home!

Vicki
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary