Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 05:58 AM

14 posts, read 15,453 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone, Ive done a ton of research and have some ideas but would like some input from the locals. My wife and I are looking into moving to the Raleigh area. We will be visiting next week for the week, so we would like to know some of the areas and places we should go see? When we first move we will be renting and plan on purchasing a house in the Raleigh area. Thanks guys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2011, 07:00 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,602,968 times
I HIGHLY recommend a trip to the Harris Teeter grocery store that we go to. They just added a little Starbucks kiosk right up by the checkout lines, so you can get a coffee while you shop.

Oh, and the elementary school that my son goes to would be good also. They just put down a fresh layer of tar and repainted all of the lines in the parking lot. Looks great!

Hmmm. What else. You should come by my office. We have a very nice magnolia tree outside the front door and it has lots of big white blooms on it.

That should keep you busy for at least 1 day. . . . maybe someone else can help you fill the other 6 days.

Old 06-07-2011, 09:16 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,096,578 times
Things to do in Triangle:
101 Things to do in the Triangle? Add to the list!

Old 06-07-2011, 12:00 PM

4,265 posts, read 11,424,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
I HIGHLY recommend a trip to the Harris Teeter grocery store that we go to. They just added a little Starbucks kiosk right up by the checkout lines, so you can get a coffee while you shop.

Oh, and the elementary school that my son goes to would be good also. They just put down a fresh layer of tar and repainted all of the lines in the parking lot. Looks great!

Hmmm. What else. You should come by my office. We have a very nice magnolia tree outside the front door and it has lots of big white blooms on it.

That should keep you busy for at least 1 day. . . . maybe someone else can help you fill the other 6 days.
Why the snarky attitude? All the OP asked was for some ideas of what do do during his visit. Are you cranky today? Panties/shorts in a bunch?

Old 06-07-2011, 12:19 PM

5,743 posts, read 17,602,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljd1010 View Post
Why the snarky attitude? Are you cranky today?
Yesterday. Today I'm peachy.

Old 06-07-2011, 12:33 PM

1,277 posts, read 3,548,381 times
Are you looking for 'fun' things to do? Things to do on a hot day? Or things to do to get a sense of the area?

You don't mention your age or the type of house you are looking for or what your interests are (hiking, biking, museums, golfing) which might help folks send you to places and drives to show you the area.

so...I would suggest looking at the 101 fun things to do and pick out one or two that you enjoy doing - just to make sure you'll enjoy doing them down here.

You are choosing a good time of year to visit b/c many folks don't like the summer heat - hopefully it'll stay nice and warm so you'll get a sense of summertime here.

There are a number of free, outdoor concerts in the evening -- eg: north hills mall has:
Midtown Music Concert Series - Thursdays from 6-9 PM, starting April 28th and continuing through August 25th Location: North Hills Commons The Midtown Beach Music Series is back for its fourth year at North Hills! Join us every Thursday from 6-9pm for concerts on the Commons from the last week of April to the last week of August. April 28 Events : Midtown Lowdown (http://www.northhillsraleigh.com/news/category/events/ - broken link)

In Durham, the dance festival is starting on the 9th, I believe.

You can take a look at the paper to see what other events are going on: NewsObserver.com | Entertainment

Old 06-07-2011, 07:43 PM

14 posts, read 15,453 times
Thanks weluvnc, I apologize for not mentioning our ages. I am 27 and my wife is 25, we njoy outdoor activities such as mountain biking, kayaking, hiking etc. We will be renting at first, but when we purchase a house we will be looking in the $170,000 range or so. We would like to do things in order to get to know the area and decide if its where we want to live. Thanks again

Old 06-07-2011, 07:47 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Quote:
Yesterday. Today I'm peachy.
Fwiw, I thought your post was hilarious.

It was funny because when people post here and ask what to do without giving up some info about what they enjoy, I'm always at a loss.

How the heck should I know, yanno?

To the OP: there's so much to do here. You'll have more fun if you tell us about the sorts of things you all enjoy.

I don't wanna suggest the local BBQ joint if you all don't eat pork.

Old 06-07-2011, 07:52 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpanicaro View Post
Thanks weluvnc, I apologize for not mentioning our ages. I am 27 and my wife is 25, we njoy outdoor activities such as mountain biking, kayaking, hiking etc. We will be renting at first, but when we purchase a house we will be looking in the $170,000 range or so. We would like to do things in order to get to know the area and decide if its where we want to live. Thanks again
I should've read further down. LOL!

My suggestion?

Stay at the Embassy Suites here in Cary (off Harrison Avenue)

Go to Lake Crabtree for the day and kayak, go hiking, etc. If you're driving, bring your bikes. The trails are good, and you can even opt to ride up into Umstead Park.

Check a good real estate site for rentals near the Black Creek Greenway.

Trust me, here.

I rarely suggest that people move in near me, but it sounds like this area would suit your family.

Feel free to PM me if you like!

Old 06-07-2011, 07:56 PM

1,751 posts, read 3,688,749 times
Quote:

Actually, in all my house and neighborhood hunting trips that is exactly what I did...went to everyday places to really get a feel for what every day life is like. To me, a workplace that has a magnolia tree outside the front door sounds FABULOUS!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary