Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 06:49 AM

180 posts, read 662,355 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauren4521 View Post
I was also going to recommend Craigslist. You can stumble upon some amazing finds but you have to be quick (and diligent).
Moderator cut: removed
On the Jennifer Convertible....I 2nd, 3rd and 4th that. YEARS ago we had the worst experience EVER with them..... I'd NEVER buy from them again. EVER.
Thanks! I never will get Jennifer Convertible Especially after your expereience!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That sounds just awful, and not something I want to experience. Luckily I really don't want to have to finance...which is why we're trying to find the best deal we can

Last edited by autumngal; 05-02-2008 at 07:54 AM.. Reason: Mod edit quote
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2007, 08:08 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,153,963 times
Jennifer's mdse makes their credit dept look good.

Old 05-02-2008, 07:43 AM

850 posts, read 3,624,898 times
Yeah...Jennifer Conv sofa was a piece of crap as well. We were so sorry we bought it, even aside from the credit issues. Started falling apart within a year or two.

Lauren

Old 05-02-2008, 08:34 AM

8,583 posts, read 16,003,675 times
I found the prices at the Furniture Exchange on Cap high .

Where are some good thrift stores???

Old 05-02-2008, 08:47 AM

4,596 posts, read 11,445,190 times
Not exactly a thrift store, but check-out Thieves Market over near Knightdale -- Exit 13 on the Beltline. I also stumbled onto Consigning Design which is in downtown Cary on Chatham Street. They sell items for roughly half of what they sold for new, sometimes less, and I have found some nice things there these past two years. There is also a thrift store very near Consigning Design -- I think it is a Greek church's thrift store?

There are several Goodwill Centers in the general area. The one I have seen in across from Beaver Creek Crossing/shopping center, in another little area of some shops and offices, on HWY 55/Williams Road, in Apex.

If you are really pressed for cash, and don't mind cast-offs, I noticed people putting things on the bulletin boards at the mail kiosk in the apartment we rented initially. Washing machines and dryers at $15 - $50 each, sofas free if you took it, and the like. I think some are transferred here for a short time and must unload things. Great deals to be had. Might be worth the time to drive through some of the complexes nearest you, scan the bulletin board, and maybe make a post of your own -- "Looking For . . . cheap."

Old 05-02-2008, 09:01 AM

3 posts, read 9,452 times
We've had good luck at the Home Comfort Warehouse/Outlet on Glenwood beside Rooms to Go and at Transit Damaged Furniture in Cary (High House and Chatham, I believe). Transit Damaged is just what the name implies... its furniture that has been slightly damaged on the way to the person who ordered it and they no longer wanted it. But most of the damage is really minor. We got a china cabinet for $400 that was originally $1000. There was just a slight ding at the top and was easily covered by a wood stain marker.

Old 05-02-2008, 10:30 AM

2,135 posts, read 7,654,067 times
I've gotten some great furniture from Craig's List. I get so excited when I see real solid hardwood furniture! It requires patience. I had to search on there for a few weeks until a listing of the right size and price came along. My dining room set came from an estate sale in MA. On a fluke my husband was out jogging in the neighborhood that had the estate sale. He came back to get me so we could check it out. Your next treasure could be waiting around the corner! I don't know where estate sales are listed around here. Maybe the classifieds in the newspaper?

Old 05-03-2008, 04:12 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,153,963 times
North Raleigh Ministries on Spring Forest Rd in Raleigh has some decent stuff, no trash.

Very worthy charity. Do check for hours - all volunteer staff mainly only open 10-2 and closed Sunday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary