Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2011, 07:51 AM

233 posts, read 269,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull City Rising View Post
I'm going to guess that your plans to move to Fla. aren't constrained by employment, meaning you're looking to retire to a warm place. Bully for you. But you're also moving to a state where, time and again, politicians have been pressed by retirees and low-earning service sector employees to keep taxes super-low.

The result? I'm sure you'll consider owning a gun in Fla., where the crime waves are off the chart.
According to City-Data, Venice has a far lower crime rate than Raleigh or Durham and is very close to Cary's statistics. I think I will feel comfortable without a gun. Just saying.

Old 06-12-2011, 08:24 AM

645 posts, read 1,502,835 times
Wake County Public Schools have had a freeze on new hires all year now. Even teachers with continuing contracts are being let go since there are not enough openings. Look they made a teacher working 100% at one school and made that person 80% down to 4 days a week . Big savings yea right but short sided thinking. Bottom line the 1 cent sales tax and a few cent increase in the tax rate county wide would have saved all the jobs in the district. If you think they are not needed then you are misled by republican talking points. You cannot cut your way into growth. If you could why has the Bush Tax cut done NOTHING for the middle class and job creation nation wide?

Old 06-12-2011, 08:34 AM

233 posts, read 269,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capt chill View Post
Wake County Public Schools have had a freeze on new hires all year now. Even teachers with continuing contracts are being let go since there are not enough openings. Look they made a teacher working 100% at one school and made that person 80% down to 4 days a week . Big savings yea right but short sided thinking. Bottom line the 1 cent sales tax and a few cent increase in the tax rate county wide would have saved all the jobs in the district. If you think they are not needed then you are misled by republican talking points. You cannot cut your way into growth. If you could why has the Bush Tax cut done NOTHING for the middle class and job creation nation wide?
You are blaming the republican budget that has not been signed by the governor yet. It's not in effect, so how can you blame them for losing your job?

Old 06-12-2011, 08:46 AM

645 posts, read 1,502,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeniceBound View Post
You are blaming the republican budget that has not been signed by the governor yet. It's not in effect, so how can you blame them for losing your job?

The district is using the numbers that they are quoting. Look I am sick of both parties. The Dem gov is a Dixicrat no real dem. They do not care about unions and working conditions that are what I think matter. But I will say this again and you do not want to hear it. You cannot cut your way to growth. I have not paid more tax in the past 5 years living here... woopie, but I would pay 3 to 5 cents on the 100 tax rate to keep the schools funded. But you think there is overwhelming waste and excess. You are really wrong.

Old 06-12-2011, 09:07 AM

446 posts, read 1,393,976 times
Those evil Republicans....trying to balance the budget and dig us out of this mess. How could they?

Old 06-12-2011, 09:56 AM

1,335 posts, read 3,148,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbis View Post
Those evil Republicans....trying to balance the budget and dig us out of this mess. How could they?
They are just as guilty as the Dems (which are just as guilty as the Reps) for spending money they don't have. They just use different talking points. I'm quite sure they all go out together at the end of the day of partisan fighting, and have beers together and laugh at everyone who thinks one side or the other has ANYONE'S best interest in mind other than their own.

As for entitlement spending: They could cut it all, and cut all the education budget and it would not solve our deficit. We finance a military that is spread thin around the world. I'm no peace-nik, but if you want to talk about entitlements, and encouraging others to get off their azz and take care of themselves, then start with weening the rest of the world off of our military teet. Keep a military to protect the USA, don't start wars for oil, don't attack countries that did not attack us, and mostly let countries like China pay their share of the world security bill. THAT would free up enough money to grow our economy. Anything else is ignoring the real issue.

And again, talking points aside, BOTH parties are guilty of it. How could anyone like Bush and hate Obama (or like Obama and hate Bush), they're both the same President, with mostly the same policies. Only different rhetoric, different unkept promises, and owned by different corporate interests.

Old 06-12-2011, 10:04 AM

11,151 posts, read 15,829,054 times
So, folks -- this is a local forum and the discussion needs to stay local. I know, I know ... national political decisions have local implications, but this has taken a decidedly non-local turn.

If you want to talk about national politics, please feel free to visit the Politics & Other Controversies forum. (Just make sure you don your hip waders before jumping in. )

Please keep the discussion in this thread focused on local politics and policies.

Thanks!

Old 06-12-2011, 10:55 AM

7,084 posts, read 14,855,038 times
The Politicians are not telling the truth.

this is hardly a shocking revelation. or, as the old joke goes......Do you know how to tell if a politician is lying to you? His/her mouth is moving.

Old 06-12-2011, 12:15 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,024,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capt chill View Post
They say no teachers will lose their jobs here in Wake County.... Last day of school today I was terminated due to budget constraints. Many years of experience. A whole lotta of BS going on. Raise a few cents per 100 in taxes so the schools will have a chance to educate the throngs of students that are in the district. ... Oh wait I forgot Republicans run the show and god forbid we talk about raising revenue to make wake County the best. You cannot do it on the cheap.
I am truly sorry to hear about this. Yes I would agree the true picture was never painted and still is isn't here there or anywhere. One side paints the extreme their way and the other side paints it their way and since each sells the press focuses on the extremes even if not accurate. I suspect principals everywhere are going crazy trying to build a master schedule especially at the high school level. You don't terminate two full time teachers 1/2 time each and have them still teaching to their strengths you terminate one full time and have the other teach part of their schedule which might be a weakness. This is a simplificaton by multiply it by hundreds within a districy and dada bing. Think about those districts losing over a thousand positions.
For those not following the American History teacher might now be teaching some World History and the Literature strength English teacher might be doing more Grammar. Hey how about Biology and Chemistry? Hopefully you will be brought back. Hopefully what ever cuts occur will be minimal and perhaps not at all when all is said and done.
Best of luck and please pardon my grammar.

Old 06-12-2011, 02:10 PM

1,036 posts, read 3,192,551 times
This is a race to the bottom and NC is winning. Thanks Phil Berger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary