Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 03:45 AM

83 posts, read 240,888 times

Advertisements

Has anyone had luck finding rental homes/apartments on Craigslist? I replied to a few ads that said the homes were in Raleigh and it included pictures so it looked legit, but one ad just bounced back undelivered. I'm trying to find an apt or home to rent that has hardwoods and don't know where else to look. Should I get a realtor instead?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2011, 05:48 AM

1,751 posts, read 3,688,415 times
It's a crapshoot! I looked for a rental in Raleigh for 6 months and finally gave up and decided to buy.

There are a couple of websites that attempt to MAP Craigslist ads (and ads from other sources as well. I'll DM you but I think you could google 'apartment map search' and find them. The nice thing being you can find your apartment by location rather than weed through each ad individually.

Lots of legit ads on Craigslist and lots of scams and junk also. If they don't give a street address, that is a warning sign. I email immediately and ask for a street address 'so I can check the school assignment'. That seems to separate the wheat from the chaff.

Old 06-13-2011, 05:55 AM

748 posts, read 1,376,015 times
I moved here three years ago and found a house on CraigsList with no problems. We stayed there one year and decided to move to a bigger house closer to my daughter's school and found something great on CL. And we are renting, not buying. Check realtor.com also for rentals.

Old 06-13-2011, 08:30 AM

43,284 posts, read 77,104,102 times
You can get a good rental on Craigslist.
But, you have to be relentless and very cautious.

"Relentless," because the rental market is active. Desirable properties get LOTS of attention and go fast. Many property managers are overwhelmed by contacts and spin their wheels with apps from unqualified prospective tenants.
If you see something and like it, put in an application!
You might also try Realtor.com, as Realtors posting rentals there at least have a license on the line and some ethical constraints in their dealings with the public. It is still difficult to make good contact.

"Cautious," because there are a lot of scammers on CL. Do NOT rent from someone who cannot show you the property. Scammers are posting properties they do not own, with very low rents to get attention, and trying to get any amount of money for security deposits, first month's rent, and dropping off the planet once they have stolen your money.

Read this thread all the way through before proceeding to Craigslist:
How to check out a landlord.

Worse yet, some will ask for your banking information to facilitate ID Theft.

Old 06-13-2011, 02:15 PM

330 posts, read 984,958 times
Many of my condos and townhouses have hardwood floors -- and maybe that is one of the reasons they tend to get rented really fast when I post them on Craigslist.

I would say that most of the postings are legitimate but there are some that are not. They should either have a phone number or a website posted so you can get additional info.

I've got a 3 bedroom condo coming up in a couple weeks but alas, it has carpet.

Shane

Old 06-13-2011, 03:14 PM

Thanks for the advice. As of now I can't even get a reply from my emails. Most of the homes and apartments I inquired about only gave the price and number of bedrooms, so I emailed asking where the property was located and no one is responding, yet I'm seeing the same ad reposted every day. I don't get it. I'll keep trying. My lease isn't up until Sept.

Old 06-13-2011, 03:32 PM

126 posts, read 314,210 times
I found mine on Craigslist, although i did have some of the same as you, some folks didn't answer, some did.

Old 06-13-2011, 06:50 PM

100 posts, read 290,368 times
We found our current rental on craigslist but had to weed through a lot of scams and junk. Also try padmapper.com and realtor.com. Good luck!

Old 06-13-2011, 08:56 PM

862 posts, read 3,549,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbi67 View Post
Thanks for the advice. As of now I can't even get a reply from my emails. Most of the homes and apartments I inquired about only gave the price and number of bedrooms, so I emailed asking where the property was located and no one is responding, yet I'm seeing the same ad reposted every day. I don't get it. I'll keep trying. My lease isn't up until Sept.
Make sure you're checking your spam folder on a daily basis. Sometimes your response will get put in there.

I've had the experience of being ignored too. It's frustrating, but part of dealing with the CL beast.

ETA: Another thing to consider is if there's a phone number in the listing, use that as the default means of contact. Many times I found that people don't use email as a primary means of communication for dealing with prospective tenants. They may just use the email to post the message, but never ever check their inboxes. They don't tell you about this, but for me it has just become a given.

Old 06-15-2011, 03:41 AM

Really frustrated. Every ad I responded to on Craigslist has bounced back as being undeliverable. The ad showed pictures of the house so it had to be legit. There was no phone number or address so I had emailed to ask where the home was located. I don't understand why someone would post an ad, take the time to upload pictures and not have it be legit?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary