U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-13-2011, 09:41 AM

15,071 posts, read 8,470,003 times

Advertisements

I'm specifically looking for unpaved trails or those that are only partially paved.

Is there somewhere I can find this information (and where entrances/exits are and whether there is public parking nearby) or could you share your favorite trails to walk/run/hike.

Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2011, 09:46 AM

19,691 posts, read 31,496,365 times
Town of Cary Greenways

That page offers a huge map of biking trails, too.

Town of Apex Parks and Greenways

American Tobacco Trail

Old 06-13-2011, 09:51 AM

4,898 posts, read 10,443,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Town of Cary Greenways

That page offers a huge map of biking trails, too.

Town of Apex Parks and Greenways

American Tobacco Trail

I believe that all of the Cary and Apex greenways are paved, Mike.

The ATT, to my knowledge, is unpaved, but straight and would be rather boring for walking.

OP, you may do better walking in county, city, and state parks. Most have unpaved trails.

Old 06-13-2011, 10:02 AM

19,691 posts, read 31,496,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
I believe that all of the Cary and Apex greenways are paved, Mike.

The ATT, to my knowledge, is unpaved, but straight and would be rather boring for walking.

OP, you may do better walking in county, city, and state parks. Most have unpaved trails.
Not all Cary greenways are paved all the way, but, yes, it is going that way.

Maybe Umstead Park
N.C. Division of Parks and Recreation: William B. Umstead State Park - Maps and Directions

Or Harris Lake County Park:
WakeGOV.com - Harris Lake County Park

I'm not sure if Lake Crabtree Park is only paved.
Link for Wake County Parks:
WakeGOV.com - Parks, Recreation and Open Space

Old 06-13-2011, 10:44 AM

14,520 posts, read 9,703,489 times
Umstead is a good bet. Plenty of wide, unpaved trails.

There are also some great, unpaved trails out at Lake Crabtree. Both hiking and mountain biking.

Old 06-13-2011, 10:51 AM

1,899 posts, read 4,283,234 times
A good portion of the trail around Bond Lake, at Bond Park in Cary, is unpaved.

Old 06-13-2011, 11:07 AM

3,460 posts, read 6,433,123 times
Umstead, definitely. It also has hills.. which can be hard to find around here! :-)

Old 06-16-2011, 02:58 PM

274 posts, read 226,624 times
If you are at Holly Springs Road and Penny, go to the bottom of the hill on Holly Springs. Next to the sewer plant at the bottom of the hill is a very small unique park.

Also Yeats Mill corner of Penny and Lake Wheeler have some very long trails once you cross over the fishing bridge.

Old 06-16-2011, 06:50 PM

4,898 posts, read 10,443,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supernc42 View Post
Also Yeats Mill corner of Penny and Lake Wheeler have some very long trails once you cross over the fishing bridge.
Yes. . . . Yeats Mill, where the poet William Butler Yeats penned the collection "The Wild Swans at Cary".

Unfortunately, the trail on the other side of the 2nd bridge is closed, indefinitely. The loop trail which crosses the stream near the mill was also closed, but it may finally be open this week.

I don't know what your definition of "long" is, but the trail is only about 1 1/4 miles long.

Old 06-16-2011, 07:14 PM

1,039 posts, read 1,286,815 times
I don't know if you're looking for a long hike, or a leisurely stroll through the forest.

Harris Lake is a good one, just outside Holly Springs.

Bass Lake has a one mile trail around the lake.

If you're looking for a quick trip in the shade, you can walk down behind the Methodist Church in Holly Springs, there is a trail to the celebrated Holly Springs springs.

There is a greenway that is partially paved (I believe) at Jones Park.

Parks & Facilities, Holly Springs, NC (http://www.hollyspringsnc.us/dept/park/parks.htm - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary