Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 05:50 AM

75 posts, read 124,105 times

Advertisements

Interesting results and comments are coming in with the student assignment test drive. 2 to 1 people prefer choice over diversity in schools. I never would have thought the gap would be that big based on how wound up some people are about it and based on how the media has portrayed the situation.

Hopefully this test drive and the following implementation with finally put a nail in the coffin of this debate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2011, 06:00 AM

1,751 posts, read 3,688,178 times
I'm not sure how you extrapolated that from what has been shown so far.

I chose diversity in my neighborhood school by the neighborhood I picked to live in.

Lower socioeconomic folks aren't as likely to participate in the online test drive.

If everyone is choosing, and not everyone has participated yet, how can you tell how diverse the school will end up being? Because theoretically the demographics of the school will not be what they are right now.

And the debate was not necessarily over whether or not families prefer diversity for themselves, but rather about a belief that diversity in general is good for society.

I'm pretty sure that if we could all choose the school we wanted for our kids based on location and education quality and programming, AND that school could be diverse in population, we'd still be happy.

Old 06-14-2011, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by librarySue View Post
I'm not sure how you extrapolated that from what has been shown so far.
Because people have picked the choice option twice as much as people have picked the diversity option in the test drive.

Old 06-14-2011, 06:24 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,600,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogey Golf View Post
2 to 1 people prefer choice over diversity in schools.
That is REALLY a stretch of the data. Perhaps there is a job for you as a spin doctor somewhere.

Old 06-14-2011, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
That is REALLY a stretch of the data. Perhaps there is a job for you as a spin doctor somewhere.
It came from the local news stations and from Tata, not from me.

Old 06-14-2011, 06:33 AM

544 posts, read 852,331 times
The 2-1 preference was not from the test drive. The test drive only started yesterday at 5 pm. The 2-1 preference was from those expressing a preference in the comments collected since the two plans were released.

Old 06-14-2011, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emitchell View Post
The 2-1 preference was not from the test drive. The test drive only started yesterday at 5 pm. The 2-1 preference was from those expressing a preference in the comments collected since the two plans were released.
I said "Interesting results and comments" in the opening post. That seemed to be clear. We can follow the updated numbers as this process continues. It will be interesting to say the least. The idea of a test drive before implementation is brilliant.

Old 06-14-2011, 06:42 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,600,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emitchell View Post
Ah. . . OK. . . now I see where this came from. I kept looking for preliminary test drive results and not finding any. Here is one of the stories that references this "blue" plan preference (story dated May 26th):

'Blue plan' appears to be Wake parents' favorite :: WRAL.com

"Since their release, the plans have been viewed more than 164,000 times, and visitors to the district website have downloaded more than 5,500 pages of documents and left 782 comments. Of those, 264 comments are in favor of the "blue" plan, a district spokesman said Thursday. . . . . .Sixty-six comments have been posted in favor of the "green" plan."

Old 06-14-2011, 06:59 AM

477 posts, read 1,419,011 times
The test drive will continue until June 20 and results will be discussed at the June 21 meeting. Here is a link to the document that the board discussed at the meeting last night.
http://www.newsobserver.com/content/...anoverview.pdf

Old 06-14-2011, 07:18 AM

280 posts, read 741,188 times
To be honest I dont really see a big difference in our current plan and the Blue one for our node.
If proximity is the main factor then we would get assigned to our neighborhood school regardless of how many choices we are offered.
Magent schools would still be lottery based I assume? Hopefully it is a true lottery instead of the weighed one they have now.
How about expanding the magnet school programs to other schools? Advanced kids need special resources too just as the ones falling behind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary