Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 10:26 AM

13 posts, read 22,663 times

Advertisements

Thanks guys for all your responses.

The entry point of my search was initially centered around trying to find a school that would allow a minimum stay of atleast 2 years, in that we have moved quite a bit. I wanted a program that started at pre-K and presented us with the option of allowing my child to stay through elementary school for the sake of stability. Secondly, I wanted a school that culturally reflected what the world should be (from my perspective) as well as had a strong academic program. My preference is for a school that develops a child effectively on multiple levels. Though the Christian component of Cresset is a good thing in my eyes, it is not a necessity in that spirituality is something we reinforce in the home. My fears were that DA was too accelerated and Cresset was too relaxed but from my recent information gathering I am beginning to feel more comfortable with what DA has to offer. I guess I want to be sure the students at DA are not "socially awkward?" Academics are priority however if you can't function "normally" in a social environment by being adept at relating to and interacting with others, you will still be left behind.

Everything you all are saying is helpful. Thank you. I encourage any and all advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2011, 10:27 AM

13 posts, read 22,663 times

The entry point of my search was initially centered around trying to find a school that would allow a minimum stay of atleast 2 years, in that we have moved quite a bit. I wanted a program that started at pre-K and presented us with the option of allowing my child to stay through elementary school for the sake of stability. Secondly, I wanted a school that culturally reflected what the world should be (from my perspective) as well as had a strong academic program. My preference is for a school that develops a child effectively on multiple levels. Though the Christian component of Cresset is a good thing in my eyes, it is not a necessity in that spirituality is something we reinforce in the home. My fears were that DA was too accelerated and Cresset was too relaxed but from my recent information gathering I am beginning to feel more comfortable with what DA has to offer. I guess I want to be sure the students at DA are not "socially awkward?" Academics are priority however if you can't function "normally" in a social environment by being adept at relating to and interacting with others, you will still be left behind.

Everything you all are saying is helpful. Thank you. I encourage any and all advice.

Old 06-16-2011, 12:07 PM

1,036 posts, read 3,192,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FleurdeLis77 View Post

i would consider Carolina Friends Early School (Durham) or Montessori Farm School (Hillsborough) over either of the choices you mention.

I have many friends with kids at DA who are not in the least socially awkward, but that has more to do with the child than the school.

Old 06-16-2011, 12:29 PM

1,231 posts, read 3,148,805 times
How much is tuition at DA?

Old 06-16-2011, 12:58 PM

521 posts, read 1,598,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FleurdeLis77 View Post
I guess I want to be sure the students at DA are not "socially awkward?" Academics are priority however if you can't function "normally" in a social environment by being adept at relating to and interacting with others, you will still be left behind.
I'm not familiar enough with DA to know the answer to this: is there some reason students there are more at risk for being socially awkward compared to students at other schools?

Old 06-16-2011, 03:38 PM

81 posts, read 137,936 times
So as this is a local blog..let me see how to say this...DA students just because they are challenged academically are "socially awkward"..how do those two things correlate?I don't get where this thread is going.The tuition and otehr related information can be found on the website.All you have to do is use our friend google.

Old 06-17-2011, 07:10 AM

1,733 posts, read 2,179,883 times
I think I understand COMPLETELY what the OP means about "Socially Awkward". My ex-boyfriend is a brilliant genius...and his parents always stressed academics to the exclusion of anything social. As a result, he is socially handicapped, and always has been. It has had a huge negative effect on his life (we are in our mid-30s now, and I'm afraid it's too late for him to change). But I don't know that the school necessarily has anything to do with that...make sure they get into extracurricular activities and clubs with different people, and they should be fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary