Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2007, 10:51 PM

27 posts, read 74,370 times

Advertisements

I posted several days ago and one respondent recommended that I post some additional questions with a thread title about condo financing, so here it goes...

I am considering buying a condo (for my primary residence). My price range is in the $120-$170K range. Some examples would be Trailwood in Raleigh or Cheasapeake Pointe in Cary.

However, I am worried that a condo would be very difficult to resell. I understand that once condos get older and more units become rentals (non-owner-occupied), it is very difficult for buyers to obtain mortgages. I might be limited to cash buyers. Are the lending policies about limits on non-owner-occupied enforced strictly in North Carolina?

If I am considering a particular condo complex, is there a way for a buyer (or her realtor) to find out how close the complex is to reaching the non-owner-occupied limit?

Are the interest rates on condo loans higher in general? If so, by how much?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2007, 04:37 AM

43,264 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by confused about Triangle View Post
I posted several days ago and one respondent recommended that I post some additional questions with a thread title about condo financing, so here it goes...

I am considering buying a condo (for my primary residence). My price range is in the $120-$170K range. Some examples would be Trailwood in Raleigh or Cheasapeake Pointe in Cary.

However, I am worried that a condo would be very difficult to resell. I understand that once condos get older and more units become rentals (non-owner-occupied), it is very difficult for buyers to obtain mortgages. I might be limited to cash buyers. Are the lending policies about limits on non-owner-occupied enforced strictly in North Carolina?

If I am considering a particular condo complex, is there a way for a buyer (or her realtor) to find out how close the complex is to reaching the non-owner-occupied limit?

Are the interest rates on condo loans higher in general? If so, by how much?
1. It is not a North Carolina situation. It is a Fannie Mae situation, enforced by lenders at slightly varying limits. For some lenders, the cutoff is 50% NOO, where others may go to 70% NOO. I know a lender who specializes in high NOO condos, so if you want to, PM me for contact information. Note: I haven't used him yet, but have spoken at length with him about his program.

2. It is difficult to determine how many units are NOO. You might call the property management company and ask. And you might be told that they don't keep those records. Sometimes it falls to the appraiser, which means you are into a transaction before you know. You might scroll through the tax records for the complex to determine how many owners' tax bill mailing addresses are the same as the condo address.

3. Interest rates shouldn't be hugely greater. Your lender can answer that.

4. Resale is a legitimate concern.

Bon Chance!

Old 08-07-2007, 05:16 AM

204 posts, read 774,008 times
Most banks have an approved condo list-don't know how often it's updated as to "non-owner occupied". When I was a loan officer it was 75% OO. Good luck.

Old 08-07-2007, 05:40 AM

43,264 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by judogl44 View Post
Most banks have an approved condo list-don't know how often it's updated as to "non-owner occupied". When I was a loan officer it was 75% OO. Good luck.
Thanks.
Learn something every day on CityData!

Old 08-07-2007, 06:07 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,153,963 times
The condo should, if good, have restrictions on the length of time an owner can lease the unit out.

If not, pass the condo by.

Many condos with too much investor ownership deteriorate rapidly from bad tenant selection and owner reluctance to spend cash on keeping the condo in shape (condo fees).

Old 08-07-2007, 07:28 AM

551 posts, read 1,874,776 times
I don't live in Raleigh, just so you know. I would be very cautious about buying a condo anywhere. Others have discussed the possible problems with resale when more units are renter-occupied. Also, condos can depreciate if not maintained, and as an individual you will not have that much control over the level of maintenance. Even if condos are well maintained, the condo fees are almost certain to go up over time as repairs and replacements are needed. Finally, land is a limited commodity so there is some protection for your single family home -- even if your house needs repairs you could find a person who wants to buy it. But condos are easy to build, anywhere, and whenever you decide to sell you may find yourself competing against new units. It is difficult for an individual seller to compete against developers. Speaking from experience here.

Old 08-07-2007, 07:55 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,153,963 times
A good condo organization will collect enough to have money on hand for foreseeable repairs based on expected lifetime of the item.

A bad condo organization will have to levy heavy assessments or let the place deteriorate.

All depends on who's on the board.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary