U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 08-07-2007, 07:27 AM

956 posts, read 3,051,102 times
Default Does this estimate sound reasonable for the Triangle area?

I know handyman costs vary from area to area so while I've found handyman estimate sites that indicate I might be being quoted a high figure I want to double check here. I have extensive woodrot on the two back corners of my house, mild woodrot at the bottom of the front corners which each have two planks of pine rather than the standard one (like in the back). I was quoted 1050 to replace and paint all four corners in pine, and 1250 to replace and paint all four corners in hardiplank (the majority of the house is hardiplank). He is going to have a handyman friend helping and he is estimating it will take all of today and part of tomorrow. He says part of the high cost is that it involves a second story, and the intricacies of taking things apart and down and up again. There was also a lower patch it up price of roughly 600 but we want to live here longterm and it's appealing to think of not needing to worry about future caulking or repair of the huge corners.

The price has me hyperventilating but if others think it's fair then I'll be able to mentally relax He and his handyman friend already installed my ginormous back patio door and I'm very happy with how it turned out. The quote for that and picking up and installing my front door (which home depot lost and still hasn't found) was 850. Would appreciate any thoughts. I am definitely willing to pay a bit more for quality work and this handyman came highly recommended by my realtor, and so far appears to have all of the qualities I'd want in a handyman - perfectionist, insanely patient in explaining things to me over and over if I need it, and generally pleasant to work with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 08-07-2007, 10:59 AM

956 posts, read 3,051,102 times
Oops little miscalculation on my part. There are way more than four corners on the house Anyway feeling better about the estimate after chatting with father in law and doing some reading

PS. Home Depot found my door It was...pum pum pum...behind another door (someone asked why we didn't transport it ourselves - it has sidelights attached - we're not talking about a little interior sized door)

Unread 08-07-2007, 11:10 AM

331 posts, read 725,357 times
I'm glad that your FIL was able to help you. For the record those quotes didn't seem beyond the pale to me. The hard truth of the matter is that labor is expensive!

Unread 08-07-2007, 11:16 AM

997 posts, read 2,751,953 times
That sounds reasonable to me. They are replacing alot of wood these days with a non-wood material that is not supposed to rot. You can ask your contractor about this. We had ours replaced with this. Hope this helps.

Unread 08-07-2007, 11:23 AM

331 posts, read 725,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jln69 View Post
That sounds reasonable to me. They are replacing alot of wood these days with a non-wood material that is not supposed to rot. You can ask your contractor about this. We had ours replaced with this. Hope this helps.
No kidding! My sister in law's house had a wooden window casing in the shower (what the heck was the contractor thinking?). Needless to say the window casing had to be replaced in just a few years later and they used a composite product. That house has all kinds of moisture problems. I pity the person who buys it.

Unread 08-07-2007, 11:51 AM

405 posts, read 1,061,037 times
Hmmm... a patient, perfectionist handyman? You're in south Durham, right? Think your handyman would be willing to do a job as small as installing molding in one MBR/bath? If so, would you mind please sending me a PM with his info? And out of curiosity, which real estate company referred you to him? I've been referred to some questionable folks by FM... but it's been awhile. Maybe they've gotten a better list. If it sweetens the pot for him, I hope to be moving next spring, and I've got a whole lot of wood rot that'll need attending to then... so I'm looking to keep someone on retainer LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary