Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 03:30 PM

2,187 posts, read 8,006,366 times

Advertisements

I know all the local lakes have the red clay muddy-ness to them. I was wondering if every lake in NC is like that. Are the mountain lakes muddy as well? Where would one go for a non muddy lake experience
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2007, 03:50 PM

478 posts, read 2,045,708 times
I'd love to know as well. Never saw lakes like this before...locals have been telling me I'm a fool to go in Jordan Lake with 'all the bacteria...they close it down for bacteria, you know'.

Old 08-07-2007, 06:13 PM

2,187 posts, read 8,006,366 times
I did not know they close it down for bacteria. We test drove a boat a couple months back on Jordan lake and we were surprised at how much debree was in the water. Floating logs, trash you name it. We opted not to buy the boat as the lake looked pretty hazerdous and we did not want5 our young kids in there. I know Arkansas, Mississippi, Alabama and Tennessee lakes are not muddy like this. which leaves me to wonder if the lakes in the mountains here are more clear. I hope someone knows

Old 08-07-2007, 06:21 PM

85 posts, read 451,639 times
I remember as a kid that any "white part' of my bathing suit would stain red from being in Gaston Lake. We had "lake" bathing suits and "pool" bathing suits b/c the ones we wore in the lake always smelled and looked dirty! I know that doesn't help, just a comment!

Last edited by rkburk; 08-07-2007 at 06:23 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 08-07-2007, 06:51 PM

45 posts, read 159,642 times
Default White Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAKD View Post
I know all the local lakes have the red clay muddy-ness to them. I was wondering if every lake in NC is like that. Are the mountain lakes muddy as well? Where would one go for a non muddy lake experience
We were chatting with some folks from Cary the other day. They were heading out to vacation at White Lake. We've never been there, but from the looks of the info on the following web page the water is crystal clear and refreshing.
Welcome To White Lake, NC - Visit Us Soon

I bet there are other places around too, including some that are a bit less touristy. We've only been here a week, though, so we haven't found them yet.

Old 08-07-2007, 06:59 PM

2,834 posts, read 12,032,472 times
Quote:
We used to vacation at smith mountain lake in virginia (near roanoke) and it is an easy drive, maybe 3 hours, depending on which side of the lake you go. The water is amazing, surrounded by mountains....

Family friends owned a home there and it was just the best place to go!!!!

Leigh

Old 08-07-2007, 07:02 PM

3,021 posts, read 11,057,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkburk View Post
I remember as a kid that any "white part' of my bathing suit would stain red from being in Gaston Lake. We had "lake" bathing suits and "pool" bathing suits b/c the ones we wore in the lake always smelled and looked dirty! I know that doesn't help, just a comment!
Wow, rkburk, your post brought back so many memories for me. We had two bathing suit categories, too: brown or black bathing suits for when we swam in a lake or any other natural body of water, and another suit for swimming pools.

Back on topic ...
Last summer I stayed at Lake Lure, NC. We didn't swim there, but the water looked pretty clear as I recall. I imagine the people over on the boards for western NC could give some great recomendations for beautiful mountain lakes.

Old 08-07-2007, 07:22 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,509,934 times
I was on Lake Norman north of Charlotte this past weekend was a dark green on the surface but it also had a green glow to it as well. It probably was nothing just the nuclear power plant effects nothing serious. It just look cool being divided with the pontoon boat.

Old 08-07-2007, 07:35 PM

275 posts, read 1,114,709 times
We were on Harris this weekend and its sure alot more clear than Jordan. The water temp was 90! Those are the only two we've boated on, but we scoped out Falls and Gaston & didn't think they were much better. I've posted about White lake before...there is a web site for it and locals say its pretty and clear, but looks a little small to me...we have not been yet. Smith Mountain looks awesome, but a long haul with the boat in tow.

Old 08-07-2007, 09:31 PM

331 posts, read 1,126,775 times
Quote:
I did not know they close it down for bacteria. We test drove a boat a couple months back on Jordan lake and we were surprised at how much debree was in the water.
Most NC lakes (Waccamaw and a few others excluded) are man made. Debris is washed down the river and into lakes after storms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary