Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2011, 08:19 AM

8 posts, read 12,700 times

Advertisements

I am a 30 something relocating to the Chapel Hill and would like some help in finding housing. I was thinking of a 1 to 2 bedroom apartment in a complex with a pool within 30 minutes of the medical center. Does anyone have an suggestions on complexes to look at or to stay away from?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2011, 08:33 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,927,777 times
30 minutes isn't going to limit you much - probably more than half the Triangle is within 30 minutes of Chapel Hill/UNC.

How much rent are you looking to pay?

Old 06-21-2011, 09:09 AM

305 posts, read 760,850 times
You'll likely have a lot of good options, depending on what your budget is. One area to look at would be near Southpoint Mall in Durham. Maybe 20 min to UNC Medical, and it would put you in a mix of age ranges, as opposed to some of the more student-heavy complexes near the university. Check out Soutpoint Village or the Lodge at Southpoint, both of which have pools. Somewhat higher pricepoints but closer to the university would be apartments in Meadowmont (Bell Meadowmont Apartments) or Southern Village. Good luck with your move!

Old 06-21-2011, 09:36 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times
The biggest issues in Chapel Hill apartments will be how close you are to a bus line, and what "saturation" of college students are living there. Presumably you want low numbers on both scales--just be aware of these when looking around.

Old 06-22-2011, 11:24 AM

8 posts, read 12,700 times
Thanks! Yes, I am not looking to be in the middle of Student Central. Ideally, I would like a mix of age ranges. I am single (early 30s) so I would like something that is convient to restaurants and bars for the 'adult' group. I don't want to pay more than $900 for an apartment.

Old 06-22-2011, 12:41 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times
Well, buses in Chapel Hill are both plentiful and free, so proximity is not so much an issue (which is good, because most of the apartments right near all the nightlife are student apts). You might also consider living near downtown Durham, which has a more "uptown urban renaissance" feel with more folks your age, and as I understand there and many buses and optinos for transportation between Durham and Chapel Hill.

Old 06-24-2011, 08:38 PM

93 posts, read 187,237 times
Was wondering if anyone else has suggestions....Im also in the same age range as the OP and may also be in the same situation (all depends on me finding a job). I was hoping to rent in Chapel Hill but it seems that people were recommending against living there due to high costs in housing in the area.

Old 06-27-2011, 03:39 PM

5 posts, read 13,535 times
I'm also in the same age range as the OP. I've lived in Durham (South Point area), Chapel Hill, and Carrboro. Carrboro is my favorite of all. On the practical side, if you are going to work in Chapel Hill, you can't beat being on the free bus line, or being able to ride a bike or walk to work. On the fun side, if you live in downtown Carrboro, you can walk to a number of great restaurants, bars, etc. While downtown Chapel Hill (East side of Franklin st) has mostly college age residents, downtown Carrboro tends to have more of the graduate student, young professional residents. They tend to also hang out more on the West side of Franklin st. For someone in their 30's, you can't beat that.

What I found living in the South Point area in Durham was that I had to drive to go anywhere. Personally, if I want to go out and have a drink, it is great to be able to walk and not have to worry about driving (nor finding a parking space).

Old 06-27-2011, 08:24 PM

93 posts, read 187,237 times
[quote=Carrborite;19778952]I'm also in the same age range as the OP. I've lived in Durham (South Point area), Chapel Hill, and Carrboro. Carrboro is my favorite of all. On the practical side, if you are going to work in Chapel Hill, you can't beat being on the free bus line, or being able to ride a bike or walk to work. On the fun side, if you live in downtown Carrboro, you can walk to a number of great restaurants, bars, etc. While downtown Chapel Hill (East side of Franklin st) has mostly college age residents, downtown Carrboro tends to have more of the graduate student, young professional residents. They tend to also hang out more on the West side of Franklin st. For someone in their 30's, you can't beat that.

What I found living in the South Point area in Durham was that I had to drive to go anywhere. Personally, if I want to go out and have a drink, it is great to be able to walk and not have to worry about driving (nor finding a parking space).[

Great feedback......just what i was looking for!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary