Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 07:32 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,095,387 times

Advertisements

I would have to agree, Charlotte is definitley a bigger city and has a more traditional city downtown but it DOES have a very different culture and it is very southern/conservative compared to the Triangle. Not a bad thing, but it is different.
I think you'll find a lot of regional differences here even if the area is only a few hours away: the outer banks hasa very dintinct culture (even their owm vocabulary), the southern coast, the triangle, Charlotte and the mountains all have very distinct cultures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2007, 08:08 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,571,453 times
Default It's not about the miles....

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Im sorry but how is two hours to southwest going to create a culture divide? What exactly do you mean?
In Europe you can travel 120 miles in any direction and be in a new country where they speak a different language and use a different monetary system. It's not about the distance, it's about the people.

Charlotte has not been infused by external influences like the Triangle has. It isn't backward by any stretch of the imagination however culturally the city is a shade closer to its southern roots.

Old 08-08-2007, 09:28 PM

445 posts, read 1,858,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
next time you're at a big airport find the waiting area for the charlotte flight and look at how horribly everyone is dressed. whew.
Now I'm going to have to look! Thanks for the laugh!

Old 08-08-2007, 09:32 PM

331 posts, read 1,126,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerpsandHorns View Post
Everything in the suburb was attractive. But, I can't help but notice what exactly is it a suburb of....?...I just could not find any real signs of established metropolitan downtown and associated cultural amenities.
That's the Triangle in a nutshell. If you want metropolitan in NC then you're talking about Charlotte.

I feel your pain. I was in Chicago last week and the thought of moving crossed my mind more than once.

Old 08-08-2007, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Im sorry but how is two hours to southwest going to create a culture divide? What exactly do you mean?
NYC2RDU is a self admitted "newly minted Tar Heel" so I would take anything he writes about NC culture with a grain of salt. The cultures of Charlotte and Raleigh are not all that different but individuals within those areas are very different. NYC2RDU probably hasn't interacted with very many NC natives in either city.

Old 08-08-2007, 10:55 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,543,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave O View Post
NYC2RDU is a self admitted "newly minted Tar Heel" so I would take anything he writes about NC culture with a grain of salt.
Dave...you've apparently qualified yourself to be able to clarify something: How long must one live there to be entitled to make an observation on a public forum about their new home? He did pretty much reiterate the PP from a NC native....

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU
Charlotte has not been infused by external influences like the Triangle has. It isn't backward by any stretch of the imagination however culturally the city is a shade closer to its southern roots.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra
I would have to agree, Charlotte is definitley a bigger city and has a more traditional city downtown but it DOES have a very different culture and it is very southern/conservative compared to the Triangle. Not a bad thing, but it is different.
Do you disagree with NYC2RDU but not lamishra? If so, that is fascinating, truth be told, since they said pretty much the same thing. Or is it you agree with both viewpoints but you do not see NYC's as valid because he's new.

Is it that you get your *NC First Amendment Rights* after a year? Two? Five?

Thanks in advance for clearing this up for all the *Newly Minted Tar Heels* who might get equally curious about this....

Old 08-09-2007, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
Dave...you've apparently qualified yourself to be able to clarify something: How long must one live there to be entitled to make an observation on a public forum about their new home? He did pretty much reiterate the PP from a NC native....

Do you disagree with NYC2RDU but not lamishra? If so, that is fascinating, truth be told, since they said pretty much the same thing. Or is it you agree with both viewpoints but you do not see NYC's as valid because he's new.

Is it that you get your *NC First Amendment Rights* after a year? Two? Five?

Thanks in advance for clearing this up for all the *Newly Minted Tar Heels* who might get equally curious about this....
jfre81,

You obviously have a chip on your shoulder when the subject comes to native North Carolinians. I will not dignify your trolling with a response. Good day to you, sir.

Old 08-09-2007, 08:27 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,489,693 times
debate ideas anot each other please stick to topic and make sure you are following the TOS

Quote:
Stay on topic. Attempts to hi-jack threads by switching topics or going off topic will be deleted and infractions issued. This is not a chat room - when people hi-jack threads by posting messages that are of interest to only few people, the threads often stop being useful discussions of initial topics.
Sunnykayak

Old 08-09-2007, 09:15 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,571,453 times
Default Awed and amazed....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave O View Post
NYC2RDU is a self admitted "newly minted Tar Heel" so I would take anything he writes about NC culture with a grain of salt. The cultures of Charlotte and Raleigh are not all that different but individuals within those areas are very different. NYC2RDU probably hasn't interacted with very many NC natives in either city.
You Sir are very impressive. Not many people can read between my lines so accurately and know so much about me. You must learn to put these powers to good use.

When you do apply these special interpretive skills again though you may want to expand on the possibilities. For example, you may want to factor in that I travel extensively on business and spent three consecutive months in Charlotte on-site at a client. You may also want to consider that I traveled to Raleigh at least a dozen times prior to relocating here. As well, you should know that I have very, very close friends who have lived in Greensboro for several years and provided tremendous insight into both communities.

My previous comments are solid and I stand behind them. And as someone who has made it a top priority to explore my new home town I know that I am better suited to make the statement "I'd beg to differ about Raleigh lacking cultural amenities. It's here, it's just not packaged exactly the same way most people are used to" then many lifelong Tar Heels. Having explored dozens of major cities and after having spent 42 years living in New York I know cultural amenities when I see them.

Lastly, jfre81 offered an intelligent observation. All because it attempted to undermine your logic does not make the poster a troll.

Old 08-09-2007, 10:28 AM

15,216 posts, read 30,543,784 times
Quote:
debate ideas anot each other please stick to topic and make sure you are following the TOS

Sunnykayak

You're the boss.

see photo from raleighskyline.com http://raleighskyline.com/future_raleigh_skyline.jpg

Raleigh's skyline is building. I believe the street you are looking at going into the center of town is South Wilmington. I still say that RBC Centura building looks almost like it was lifted out of Vegas and carried east. But it's cool. BB&T tower doesn't stick out so much. Looks like there's more of a *city* going up.

That condo tower (?) off in the distance (where is that being built exactly?) almost seems like an homage to Houston, where you can find the third-tallest skyscraper in the city sticking out on its own in Uptown, eight miles away from downtown.

*There's* the city. It's not really hiding.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 08-12-2007 at 08:47 PM.. Reason: copyright infridgment
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary