Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 11:59 AM

3,031 posts, read 9,087,779 times

Advertisements

Well, compared to the difference between Philly and NYC, I thought the difference was more subtle. You've got great restaurants in Providence, a solid mafia connection (the Whitey factor), junior league versions of major league sports that are sometimes even better (the Providence Bruins, PawSox, etc.) as far as ticket prices and family entertainment go.

Good beaches close by both cities.

Bitter cold winters.

And until September, Providence has Nordstrom!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2007, 12:03 PM

3,021 posts, read 11,058,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
RaleighSkyline.com - Photography and Multimedia of Raleigh, North Carolina

I do I should have clarified that the picture is a *rendering*
Thank you! And yes, it may be a rendering, but it's a good one & it won't be long until the skyline looks like that.

For anyone who is interested, you can see the current Raleigh skyline (the 3rd image down) compared to the renderings showing what is coming in the future.
The Future Raleigh Skyline - RaleighSkyline.com - Photography and Multimedia of Raleigh, North Carolina
The new structures will definitely make Raleigh look more like a proper city.

Old 08-09-2007, 01:26 PM

275 posts, read 1,114,787 times
No one has actually talked about the cool things in downtown Raleigh. There are lots of cool resturants and things to see. The museum is wonderful for kids and adults too...we come in from the burbs and go often. There are cool places to walk around, eat & shop like the City Market area. Cameron Village is a great area too. Of course the Glenwood area has attractions. I still haven't checked out the 5 points area..its on my list. I work in downtown and drive around and see the beautiful historic homes, and enjoy all the above. Then I head out to the burbs. You have to get on the streets and look around...

I came from So Cal, and I swear Raleigh has a better downtown than LA or any OC city!!! I wouldn't risk walking around any of those!

Old 08-09-2007, 01:39 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,556,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by needhalc View Post
You have to get on the streets and look around...
...after you've found a place to park.

Downtown Raleigh needs a transit line to bring in some people from elsewhere in the metro, or it's not going to reach its potential. Which is vast, really.

Old 08-09-2007, 02:25 PM

3,395 posts, read 7,771,836 times
yeah, those 4 people that ride it will really make a difference.

Downtown Raleigh is changing rapidly (for the better in every way) just fine without it.

Old 08-09-2007, 02:39 PM

2,275 posts, read 6,307,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by needhalc View Post
No one has actually talked about the cool things in downtown Raleigh. There are lots of cool resturants and things to see. The museum is wonderful for kids and adults too...we come in from the burbs and go often. There are cool places to walk around, eat & shop like the City Market area. Cameron Village is a great area too. Of course the Glenwood area has attractions. I still haven't checked out the 5 points area..its on my list. I work in downtown and drive around and see the beautiful historic homes, and enjoy all the above. Then I head out to the burbs. You have to get on the streets and look around...
I love downtown Raleigh. It's one of the things I love most here. It's very accessible, and very easy to navigate - by car or by foot.

I worked a contract job for the DOT for six months, and have worked near Cameron Village for three years now. I drive through the middle of downtown every day, and love it. Moore Square is fun, and they now have a farmer's market there every Wednesday. Tir Na Nog has a fantastic Sunday brunch.

There's plenty of parking downtown. I used to park at Wilmington Street Station when I worked for the DOT. There's also Moore Square, and at least four other parking decks that I know of, in addition to the several lots sprinkled around. We took some visiting friends to the history museum, the capitol and the governor's mansion, and there's a lot right between all three. When we go to the Performing Arts Center, there are several lots on streets immediately surrounding - I've never had an easier time getting in and out of a venue like that. When we go to the City Market, there's a lot right next door.

Needhalc, when you go to the Five Points area, don't miss Hayes Barton Cafe and Dessertery. It's a tiny place, and if you're going for dinner, reservations are a must. Be sure to save room for dessert, because they are simply to die for - and they have so many.

The Point is also a nice restaurant. My boss is friends with the owner, and they always have great food.

Old 08-09-2007, 02:49 PM

275 posts, read 1,114,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire_F View Post
I love downtown Raleigh. It's one of the things I love most here. It's very accessible, and very easy to navigate - by car or by foot.

I worked a contract job for the DOT for six months, and have worked near Cameron Village for three years now. I drive through the middle of downtown every day, and love it. Moore Square is fun, and they now have a farmer's market there every Wednesday. Tir Na Nog has a fantastic Sunday brunch.

There's plenty of parking downtown. I used to park at Wilmington Street Station when I worked for the DOT. There's also Moore Square, and at least four other parking decks that I know of, in addition to the several lots sprinkled around. We took some visiting friends to the history museum, the capitol and the governor's mansion, and there's a lot right between all three. When we go to the Performing Arts Center, there are several lots on streets immediately surrounding - I've never had an easier time getting in and out of a venue like that. When we go to the City Market, there's a lot right next door.

Needhalc, when you go to the Five Points area, don't miss Hayes Barton Cafe and Dessertery. It's a tiny place, and if you're going for dinner, reservations are a must. Be sure to save room for dessert, because they are simply to die for - and they have so many.

The Point is also a nice restaurant. My boss is friends with the owner, and they always have great food.
Thanks for your great suggestions. I agree about parking...once you know where the lots are, its never a problem. There are many around. We have been down for several events during busy times like First Night (New Years Eve) and to see the Nutcracker around xmas (our new annual event...its great!) and we zip in, and zip out...no problem with parking or traffic. Luv it...

Old 08-09-2007, 03:46 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,284,407 times
Below is a list of some of my favorite places to go in downtown Raleigh to listen to music, dine, drink, and take in some art. This is by no means all that downtown has to offer in these areas. This is simply a quick list of my favorite places thus far.

My favorite Places to go in the Moore Square Area of Downtown:

Tir Na Nog (Irish Pub)
The Duck and the Dumpling (Asian Fusion Restaurant)
The Pour House (Music Hall Venue)
Moore Square Bud Light Downtown Live Music Events
Zydeco (Jazz Lounge)
Moore Square Farmer’s Market
Mo’s Diner
Artspace (Large Art Gallery / Studio: Great Place to Go on First Friday’s!)
Tony’s Coffee and Wine

My Favorite place to go in Fayettville Street Area of Downtown:

Yancy’s (broken link) (Cajun, Southwestern Far / Jazz Music)

My Favorite Places to go in the Glenwood South Area of Downtown:

Red Room (http://www.redroomraleigh.com/music.asp - broken link) (Taps Restaurant that sometimes has DJ and Salsa dancing certain nights of the week)
April and George (Wine Bar) Blue Martini (Martini Bar / Music)
Hi 5 (Sports Bar)
Stool Pigeons (http://www.stoolpigeons.biz/ - broken link)(Sports Bar w/ Pool Tables)
Hibernian Pub
Bogarts (http://www.bogartsamericangrill.com/ - broken link) (Cool Jazz and Brunch on Sunday’s)
518 West (Italina Restaurant)
Turkish Delights (Pastries and Desserts)
Helios Coffee Company (broken link) (Coffee and Music)

My Favorite Places to go in Seaboard Station Area of Downtown:

Seaboard Wine Warehouse (Wine Store with Free tasting 12-5 Saturday)
Seaboard 18 (Restaurant)
Logan’s (Garden Center and Nursery)
Red Pin (http://www.redpingallery.com/info.htm - broken link) (Unique Furniture)

My Favorite Places to go in Cameron Village Area:

The Grape (broken link)(Wine Bar / Jazz Music)
The Village Draft House (broken link)(Ale House)
The Cameron Village Public Library
Ten Thousand Villages (http://www.villagesofraleigh.org/index.htm - broken link)(Fair Trade Shopping)

My Favorite Places to Go in the Five Points Area:

Hayes Barton Cafe and Dessertery
The Point (Restaurant)
Lily's Pizza
The Rialto (Movie Theater)

Other Downtown Favorites:

Progress Energy Center for Performing Arts (Plays and Musical Performances)
Exploris (broken link) (Imax Theater)
North Carolina Museum of Natural Science

Old 08-09-2007, 04:03 PM

3,353 posts, read 4,965,230 times
Ooh great post, North Raleigh Guy. I haven't spent any time in downtown Raleigh at all and I know I'd really like it - I'll use your list!

Old 08-09-2007, 04:04 PM

3,395 posts, read 7,771,836 times
I gave you rep for that! But you left off a couple of my favorites that I'd thought I'd throw out there, too:

Moore Sq Area:

Caffe Luna (excellent relatively cheap Italian dinner)

Fayetteville Street (almost):

Raleigh Times - great beer selection, good food (if small menu), nice place to chill out with friends.

Glenwood South and nearby:

Enoteca Vin - upscale wine and restaurant.
Char Grill - burgers - the original is still the best
Flying Saucer - excellent place if you like beer. selection is incredible.
Napper Tandy's - I mainly just go for Pub Trivia on Tuesday nights when the weather is nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary