Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 03:37 PM

748 posts, read 1,376,146 times

Advertisements

I had AT&T for many years in California with no problems. As soon as I moved to North Carolina, the service went downhill. Finally after three years, we just switched to Verizon and notice a BIG difference right away. I am happy with my decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2011, 05:23 PM

10 posts, read 15,323 times
i have been with AT&T for about 4 years and have had really no problems. I love my service, plan, and billing with them. I would suggest getting a new phone i think that makes alot of difference. Sprint is good i had them before AT&T and droped calls i think it all depends on what area you are in there is dead spots in all networks.

Old 07-14-2011, 07:48 AM

1,521 posts, read 2,765,612 times
Another slew of dropped calls last week w Verizon. Probably 12 in the last 6 months, when I haven't had 12 the 7 years I've been a customer prior. Funny that VZW is experiencing the same challenges they battered AT+T for years about.

Old 07-14-2011, 03:40 PM

1,907 posts, read 3,229,909 times
Sprint here for 8 years and counting the last 3 years service has been great and nearly flawless. Except if your way way out somewhere down east. Also plans are generally a bit more affordable. From what I hear Verizon or Sprint are neck and neck at least around here now.

Old 07-14-2011, 07:46 PM

226 posts, read 506,994 times
I'm with AT&T and don't have any problems. There are areas in the Triangle where signal strength is lower, but I think that's true of most providers. I've never not been able to make/receive calls.

Old 07-15-2011, 06:21 AM

735 posts, read 1,584,716 times
I have had Sprint for the length of my "cell phone stuck to the hip" life. I have never had a problem with them and have always had great coverage everywhere I've gone (including hiking in Yosemite) all over the country and never had a single roaming charge. The plans are great if you are into Android phones. Currently we have unlimited data (3G), unlimited talk time to cell phones (1500 minutes to land lines), & unlimited text. It is a must have if you have teenagers. Our plan is dirt cheap compared to the others while out shopping. I do get a 20% company discount (only on the base bill) but even without that nobody can touch it.

The only place I do not get coverage is off Cornwallis Rd here in RTP. Thankfully Sprint was kind enough to donate me (free of charge) a signal in a box and I have great coverage now (talk/text/and 3g).

Old 07-15-2011, 06:04 PM

13 posts, read 21,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozwanderer View Post
Hi,

I am moving to the Triangle and am at the end of my contract with AT&T for cell service. I've been hearing that AT&T's coverage is not very good in the area (i.e. a lot of dropped calls). I hear Verizon is popular, but it seems to be very expensive.

How do folks feel about Sprint? Is the coverage good? I will NOT consider T-Mobile (horrible experience with them). And I have been happy with AT&T and would like to continue, though I also need to upgrade my phone. I have a very old school phone with no features.

Thoughts?

Thanks folks!
sprint does not work here luv sprint but had to switch to verizon

Old 07-17-2011, 07:01 AM

735 posts, read 1,584,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gilliegk View Post
sprint does not work here luv sprint but had to switch to verizon
I'm curious where you are talking about? I have Sprint and have forever (so it seems ) and have yet to find a place where I do not get signal aside from a single area off Cornwallis Rd. in Durham.

Old 07-17-2011, 02:50 PM

2,464 posts, read 4,166,601 times
I suffered for two years with Sprint, because of the spotty coverage. Couldn't even get a signal on Glenwood Ave, near the beltline. Nor at my previous house, near falls of Neuse and 540. Any phone conversation that took place in a car, wasn't going to last more than a minute or two, as you would move in and out of pockets of coverage every half mile or so. They've added more towers since then, but I know people who still struggle to get coverage around Wake County. My friend worked for Sprint, and carried a personal phone from Verizon because of the spotty coverage Sprint had.

Old 07-18-2011, 08:01 PM

381 posts, read 1,325,843 times
In the Triangle, I have used:

1. Verizon (best coverage, but high price and horrible customer service);
2. AT&T (decent coverage, but a number of dropped calls and dead spots, price almost as high as Verizon);
3. T-Mo (poor coverage, great customer service and pricing);
4. Spring (poor coverage, average customer service and pricing).

I resent Verizon due to their price and poor excuse for customer service. But we still use them for family cell phones because the coverage is so much better than the other carriers. Meanwhile, my work AT&T coverage pretty much stinks in a side-by-side comparison, but it was better than T-Mo and Sprint.

Travel is another kicker. I frequently don't have any coverage with AT&T in the mountains or at the coast; but my wife and kids rock on with Verizon almost anywhere we go.

I have not tried Cricket or anything like that, so I can't really comment on them.

I tend to think a lot of folks give a "rah-rah" type post about a carrier just b/c they have it. This is not one of those posts. I'd really like to tell you to get something other than Verizon. But, if you want the best coverage and cell phone service in the area, nothing else comes close.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary