Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 01:38 PM

519 posts, read 981,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
Thanks Kingyouth!

It seems like more people favor the iPhone than others so...help me out here, guys.

My UNLIMITED with T Mobile is $80 per month. That includes unlimited data.

So...do I go with AT&T or Verizon? And...how much should I expect to pay? I used my phone for calls and emails CONSTANTLY...so I need lots of time. Any ideas?

Vicki
For Verizon, which I have, it is $89.99 for unlimited talk and text. The 2 GB data plan is $30. I just looked at my usage, and it is an average of only 125 MB/month, so I don't see why you would need another plan, unless you were going to not go to the iPhone and use something right now that is LTE-capable.

Keep in mind, you will get a 17%-21% discount through your employer. I know this to be true since I just started working for the same company that you do. My discount is 21%, but I have heard others that have received the 17%.

Having once had AT&T and now Verizon, the latter has better coverage, especially in rural areas. And there is no comparison in customer service, Verizon wins hands down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2011, 02:37 PM

381 posts, read 1,325,688 times
Mike, thanks for the note about the app for calendar sync. I may install that on my wife's phone, but the google calendar route has worked pretty well so far. It took some additional steps to set it up but has worked fine since. Was that a free app or a pay app?

Vicki, you won't find another major carrier that comes close to TMo on price for unlimited everything. The trouble is that the service is actually limited b/c it doesn't work in many rural areas and even some relatively urban areas.

However, if it has worked well for you, don't change just b/c it doesn't work for others. I think it'll be at least a year before you see a real change with the AT&T and TMo acquisition. That's long enough that I think it really shouldn't be much of a factor in the current decision.

Whenever we're on vacation, I have to use my wife's Verizon Droid Incredible b/c my AT&T iPhone almost never has service when I'm outside a metro area. Very spotty service at the beach and the mountains for AT&T. Plus, too many dropped calls in Cary.

In terms of overall coverage and the actual phone service, I just don't think AT&T or TMo (even combined) or Sprint come anywhere close to Verizon. Unfortunately, you pay through the nose for Verizon (relative to TMo, anyway). So, if the TMo service works for you, I'd stick with it for now.

Old 07-23-2011, 04:00 PM

35 posts, read 56,502 times
I ended up going in with my brother on a family plan with nTelos a small regional carrier. I got an Android and my share (we got 3 phones) including tax and insurance on the phone is approx $49 per month. nTelos uses both Verizon and Sprint networks. The only drawback is since they are not a national carrier they can only give you a phone number in an area where they are based. They are expanding, but for now the nearest area codes they can do are 804 (Richmond, VA) and 252 (eastern NC). If you don't care about your area code, then it works just like any other phone anywhere else. I wanted to keep my old number (a California area code) since I had it for a long time, but couldn't pass up the deal.

Old 07-23-2011, 04:34 PM

43,282 posts, read 77,092,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeheel View Post
Mike, thanks for the note about the app for calendar sync. I may install that on my wife's phone, but the google calendar route has worked pretty well so far. It took some additional steps to set it up but has worked fine since. Was that a free app or a pay app?

Vicki, you won't find another major carrier that comes close to TMo on price for unlimited everything. The trouble is that the service is actually limited b/c it doesn't work in many rural areas and even some relatively urban areas.

However, if it has worked well for you, don't change just b/c it doesn't work for others. I think it'll be at least a year before you see a real change with the AT&T and TMo acquisition. That's long enough that I think it really shouldn't be much of a factor in the current decision.

Whenever we're on vacation, I have to use my wife's Verizon Droid Incredible b/c my AT&T iPhone almost never has service when I'm outside a metro area. Very spotty service at the beach and the mountains for AT&T. Plus, too many dropped calls in Cary.

In terms of overall coverage and the actual phone service, I just don't think AT&T or TMo (even combined) or Sprint come anywhere close to Verizon. Unfortunately, you pay through the nose for Verizon (relative to TMo, anyway). So, if the TMo service works for you, I'd stick with it for now.
Mike,
Here's the free version on AppBrain:
http://www.appbrain.com/app/exchange...roid20.nitroid

And the Paid key:
Exchange by TouchDown Key | AppBrain Android Market
I said, $14.99, but I think I paid the $19.99. I have had it for 9-10 months, and it works very well.
It was nice to try it out for free first, and just pay for the key. I had it for 3-4 days and paid.

I'm using MS Hosted Exchange email, and it syncs nicely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary