U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2011, 06:58 AM

117 posts, read 223,934 times

Advertisements

Trying to find information on schools and programs in Medical billing and coding in Raleigh or surrounding areas.

Please tell me where you took the course, online or school, how was the program, how long, job prospects or any other information.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2011, 07:14 AM

9,680 posts, read 23,481,401 times
Watch out for the phony private schools who will rip you off.

Try Wake Tech.

Old 06-23-2011, 08:03 AM

433 posts, read 553,861 times
O*NET Code Connector - Medical Records and Health Information Technicians - 29-2071.00

Probably 2 semesters at Wake Tech - ask for the "Medical Office Administration: Medical Billing & Coding C25310B" program

Old 06-23-2011, 09:39 AM

21 posts, read 75,267 times
It is 2 semesters. I started in the fall & finished this spring. I am currently taking 2 additional coding classes for the summer semester that were not required for the program, but they are more in depth if you are more interested in the coding like I am. The teachers for the course at Wake Tech are really nice, helpful and want you to succeed in their classes.

Old 06-23-2011, 09:55 AM

835 posts, read 2,521,593 times
Is there decent money to be made in this? Thanks.

Old 06-23-2011, 10:07 AM

2,872 posts, read 4,959,541 times
A friend's wife was doing this for a long time, but the field was getting difficult because a lot of this type of work is being automated. I'd research more about that before considering it a long term career. I wish you luck in whatever you do!

Old 06-23-2011, 12:08 PM

7,691 posts, read 10,062,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDUBiker View Post
A friend's wife was doing this for a long time, but the field was getting difficult because a lot of this type of work is being automated. I'd research more about that before considering it a long term career. I wish you luck in whatever you do!

I kind of wondered the same thing. What exactly is Medical Coding? I know someone who is going to school for it right now, but if it what I am imagining isn't this the perfect job to be outsourced or automated?

Old 06-23-2011, 05:30 PM

932 posts, read 2,730,373 times
I was going to go into medical coding before I decided on nursing. There should be plenty of good paying jobs in the next few years with all medical records going digital. There are supposed to be huge changes coming and alot of accredited coders needed. I did a lot of research and found that Pitt Community College has an accredited program. You can take almost all of the classes for the degree online and the ones you can't. you can take at Wake Tech and transfer. I think the only 2 that weren't offered online were Anatomy and Physiology I and II. I've taken them at Wake Tech. I would definately check out the PCC website. They're a great, respectable school. Good luck!

Old 06-25-2011, 06:03 AM

6,185 posts, read 13,842,121 times
Here's a good explanation with links to associations:
Medical coder - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I know of someone who has worked at home doing it for many years, and I also wondered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
I kind of wondered the same thing. What exactly is Medical Coding? I know someone who is going to school for it right now, but if it what I am imagining isn't this the perfect job to be outsourced or automated?

Old 06-25-2011, 09:06 AM

591 posts, read 1,646,480 times
Default Medical Billing is a GREAT business

I've owned and still operate a medical billing company for the last 20 years. It is a VERY good business to get into. I've moved to 3 states during the course of my business and each time I've been able to take my same clients with me since everything is so automated and electronic based.

I've had the opportunity to mentor many people wanting to get into the business and the one thing I always tell them that instead of going and paying a bunch of money to take some classes nothing is better than actual on-the-job learning and training. I often tell those interested to take that receptionist job at a medical office and begin there. So, often in medical there are openings all the time with so much staff needed to run medical offices you can get your foot in the door and then move into the billing dept. I've seen many people be successful at this route. Sometimes starting at the bottom is the best way to work your way up in the medical billing industry.

There is money to be made in medical billing but not unless you put in the time and energy to learn, learn, learn. Even now, 25 years later I am always learning new and better ways to run my business and process clients work.

Once you have a good client base the opportunity to grow your business has no limits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary