Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 10:08 AM
GPC

1,308 posts, read 3,411,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
The toughest part of moving isn't the shopping or the food. It's the lack of friends and family; if you can survive without them, you'll do fine.
That's true. Although in my case, the family I left in New York wasn't worth staying for. But I can understand why leaving family would be hard for alot of people. In my case, I sort of wish I had family in New York that were worth missing, if that makes sense.

I'm very happy with my decision to leave New York but I do miss the sense of 'history' I had there. I think that's natural. I was born and raised in Queens and lived in Queens and Long Island for a total of 40+ years. I doubt anyone can move away after living in one state for so long and not miss it from that perspective. New York will always be my hometown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2011, 11:05 AM

3,050 posts, read 4,991,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitb05 View Post
Well first i don't have a "skewered perspective" all my doctors and the hospital is within 15 mins, The mall is in walking distance from me, the train stations and ISP air port is with in 15 mins, and I' 15 mins away from a lake in one direction and a beach in the other. the only thing that is not 15 mins is NYC.
And not that this part is to you but from the answersand reaction of some of the people on this post maybe rude, fast past and in your face new york is a better place to live considering I was just asking if people had hard time adjusting and everyone has some rude response. YES it was a serious question, and NO it's not that I' not open minded or anything like that I'm just asking! Obviously NC is not NY and obviously it is a deffrent pace and things are different there. I was just asking if any New Yorkers found it that different and if it was a big change or not really!!
I think once you come down and see what it is really like, you will see why people are getting such a kick out of your posts...

One tip to help you fit in down here - drop the 'tude!

Old 06-24-2011, 11:24 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,089,036 times
I think nearly everyone posted helpful responses.

Generally, the Triangle is mostly suburban. If you want to live a mostly suburban life (with the exception of Raleigh and Durham downtowns, which are relatively small), then you'll be fine.

Because it's suburban, everyone needs a car. Public transportation is nearly non-existent compared to many Northeast cities. There are no subways. There are few buses. I rarely see taxis.

Is that type of life different or the same to what you're used to? Are you up for different? Can you handle change easily? Do you depend on friends and relatives a lot? Can you find a job? Can you make friends easily? Do you see a move as an adventure, and you're willing to accept whatever comes your way?

Those are the questions you need to ask yourself.

Quote:
Well first i don't have a "skewered perspective" all my doctors and the hospital is within 15 mins, The mall is in walking distance from me, the train stations and ISP air port is with in 15 mins, and I' 15 mins away from a lake in one direction and a beach in the other. the only thing that is not 15 mins is NYC.
And not that this part is to you but from the answersand reaction of some of the people on this post maybe rude, fast past and in your face new york is a better place to live considering I was just asking if people had hard time adjusting and everyone has some rude response. YES it was a serious question, and NO it's not that I' not open minded or anything like that I'm just asking! Obviously NC is not NY and obviously it is a deffrent pace and things are different there. I was just asking if any New Yorkers found it that different and if it was a big change or not really!!

Old 06-24-2011, 11:29 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
I don't think anyone was rude to you, but think about your question - how can anyone tell you how you will adjust to life down here? You haven't even been here and like many NYers you assume that everyone is living on a farm or something. When we were moving here my MIL actually asked me if there were parks in North Carolina. And she was serious. Raleigh is a city surrounded by suburbs - sound familiar? No it's not NYC - nothing is. But it has all the things that every suburb in this country has. Some of it is better than LI - some things you will miss - if you love the beach you'll miss that. If your social life revolved around NYC you will miss that. BUt you can find substitutes.

To ask how others have adjusted and use it as a barometer for how you will adjust is like asking "I'm going out for Korean food tonight and I've never had it before. Will I like it?" And then getting mad when no one can answer the question to your satisfaction.

Old 06-24-2011, 01:21 PM

63 posts, read 139,865 times
^^ Excellent points. I grew up in the NY metro area and have since lived in 3 other states/regions -- all of which have been very different from the tri-state area. But guess what - that's because it's NEW YORK -- one of the biggest, most exciting, cosmopolitan cities in the world. So even if you grew up on LI, or in NJ or CT you still were anchored by NYC - the sports teams, the 4 or 5 different newspapers, Broadway shows, the food, face it -- the diversity. I think you just have a different outlook on things and yep, many people hold true to that old cartoon that there's nothing beyond the Hudson River.

Really, these threads are silly - how will we know if you'll like it here? If you're worried about not getting good pizza I'd venture to say that maybe, just maybe, there are other, more important concerns when relocating your whole life. Trust me, you can get good pizza here and yep, takeout 'Americanized' Chinese which is the same in NY, Minnesota, Georgia, and NC!

For me, the biggest adjustment when having to move anywhere has been leaving behind friends and family --you may think you won't miss your annoying in-laws or your pesky brother-in-law but family is family and its nice to have that safety net.

Personally, this is one of the nicest places I've lived -- the people are nice, the weather is great -- it gets hot up north in the summer too but we didn't have 30+ inches of snow! -- there are plenty of good restaurants, concerts, festivals, etc.

So if you decide to make the move welcome!

Old 06-24-2011, 01:30 PM

27 posts, read 56,883 times
I think it's great that people complain so much about not being able to get the food they got back in New York but somehow every pizza place and deli I've been to in Raleigh is owned and operated by New Yorkers.

Old 06-24-2011, 02:04 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,089,036 times
And what I like is that not all pizza here is like NY/NJ pizza...which I don't like at ALL! IMHO, pizza is not meant to be folded and floppy and mushy. I grew up in an Italian neighborhood, too. But not in the NYC area.

Thank goodness Lilly's knows how to make decent pizza! (...and they make the best gluten-free pizza, too.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottah112 View Post
I think it's great that people complain so much about not being able to get the food they got back in New York but somehow every pizza place and deli I've been to in Raleigh is owned and operated by New Yorkers.

Old 06-24-2011, 02:05 PM

481 posts, read 1,086,077 times
I moved here from NJ 6 years ago and love it! I grew up on LI and moved to NJ when I was 15 so I can't say I miss LI since I was too young. Ok beaches...while Jones Beach and yes there is the Hampton's ( which I have never been, looks nice ) the beaches in NC are just as beautiful. I LOVE the Outer banks! Reminds me of a Cape Cod, MA feel. I've also been to Atlantic beach and again no complaints. You have the mountains in about 4 hours. Beach takes 2 1/2, Outer banks about 4 hrs.
As far as adjusting, you have to and stress have to be open to a new area. Anywhere you move from the tri-state will feel 'odd'. There is a lot of great food here as well and many people from the North have even opened some good deli's ( Morrisville Deli even states on a cute sign that the bagels are made with water from Da Bronx ..lol..and yes the bagels are good! ) I have some good pizza places by me in Apex and I am a pizza monster! If I would not gain any weight...you would see me with a slice more than once a week. So, it all depends on being open minded. Not saying you aren't...just that in order to grow into a new area..not just NC it must be there. If not, you will not be happy. Many move for the wrong reasons, don't do their homework, miss family too much etc etc and move back. Hope that helps

Old 06-24-2011, 02:16 PM

2,445 posts, read 7,449,778 times
Quote:
!And I'm use to having every store or everything I could need no more then a 15min drive away. I have every thing you can imagine near me. So I'm affraid to live by nothing!!!
Live by nothing? LOL! I think you will be pleasantly surprised and relieved when you visit Raleigh next week.

Old 06-24-2011, 09:56 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucyAussie View Post
I think once you come down and see what it is really like, you will see why people are getting such a kick out of your posts...

One tip to help you fit in down here - drop the 'tude!

Repped. I won't kiss you yet, cause you're a fiesty one.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary