Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 07:54 AM

3,392 posts, read 7,748,690 times

Advertisements

I don't see 35 on that section as "ridiculously low" at all. 53 is quite excessive. It is 50% more than the posted speed limit (compare that to 23% higher for the 80 in a 65).

I actually wish Cary would patrol and ticket more than they do, until people actually start driving closer to the speed limit around town. And give tickets often for all the roll stops that people are doing. I don't really care about speeding on highways, but on roads around town it should really be enforced.

If I was in this situation, I would take the PJC, slow down, and buy a good radar detector. And be thankful no one was hurt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2011, 07:56 AM

22,651 posts, read 36,645,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rory breaker View Post
Aother example of a ridiculously low speed limit that cops take advantage of to prey on drivers going a perfectly safe, but unlawful, speed. Pathetic,

Yeah, that is a ridiculous speed there - I always laugh when I'm going 37 mph with all the others "in the know" in the right lane and people are zooming by me in the left. Just saw someone pulled over the other day. I try to avoid that stretch of Maynard whenever possible.

Old 06-24-2011, 08:00 AM

1,309 posts, read 2,930,957 times
Yes, fight it, get a radar detector and by all means, feel entitled to drive whatever speed you would like to drive. God forbid anyone ever take responsibility for their actions.
If you can't do the time, don't do the crime.

Old 06-24-2011, 08:19 AM

1,521 posts, read 2,759,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h2ohzrd View Post
Yes, fight it, get a radar detector and by all means, feel entitled to drive whatever speed you would like to drive. God forbid anyone ever take responsibility for their actions.
If you can't do the time, don't do the crime.
I dont think your slogan there at the end is relevant at all if your implying that "doing the time" means just paying your fine and points. Getting a lawyer is well within your rights, as is using a radar detector, and can be equated to "doing the time".

Speed cameras and speeding tickets are 90% about revenue generation and 10% about safety. Speed limits should be dictated by the flow of traffic, not some arbitrary group of law enforcement officials and politicians and corrupt city planners. I get that people live there, and they dont want folks going 65mph down their road. Make it at least 45mph on a 2 lane major road with turning lanes, as evidenced by most of the other roads in the area. You dont see the speed limit on Cary Parkway drop to 35mph after Bond Park where houses are, do you?

Why dont they raise the speed limit then on Maynard? Right or wrong, it's another 10mph and $100+ added to each speeding ticket, so why should they? A speed LIMIT should be just that, a limit. 35 is not reasonable there, and I have a fundamental issue with generating revenue in such a situation. To sit at the bottom of a hill, knowing that a car that is "reasonably" speeding, IE <7mph over as notated on most traffic citations, will pick up another 5-10mph coming down that hill for a moment making them a target, is disgusting and just wrong.

Old 06-24-2011, 08:29 AM
Status: "Made the Retirement Run in under 12 parsecs!!!" (set 20 days ago)

43,171 posts, read 76,793,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rory breaker View Post
I dont think your slogan there at the end is relevant at all if your implying that "doing the time" means just paying your fine and points. Getting a lawyer is well within your rights, as is using a radar detector, and can be equated to "doing the time".

Speed cameras and speeding tickets are 90% about revenue generation and 10% about safety. Speed limits should be dictated by the flow of traffic, not some arbitrary group of law enforcement officials and politicians and corrupt city planners. I get that people live there, and they dont want folks going 65mph down their road. Make it at least 45mph on a 2 lane major road with turning lanes, as evidenced by most of the other roads in the area. You dont see the speed limit on Cary Parkway drop to 35mph after Bond Park where houses are, do you?

Why dont they raise the speed limit then on Maynard? Right or wrong, it's another 10mph and $100+ added to each speeding ticket, so why should they? A speed LIMIT should be just that, a limit. 35 is not reasonable there, and I have a fundamental issue with generating revenue in such a situation. To sit at the bottom of a hill, knowing that a car that is "reasonably" speeding, IE <7mph over as notated on most traffic citations, will pick up another 5-10mph coming down that hill for a moment making them a target, is disgusting and just wrong.
There are no houses fronting on Cary Parkway, nor any that have had their driveways shortened to add a lane.

Maynard is an entirely different driving proposition, with numerous driveways and homes fronting the street. And, the speed limit is 35MPH for an extended distance on either side of the area near Pamlico, Plantation, et al. The driver was likely speeding prior to reaching the area where she was detained.

I have had a few speeding tix, although none for years, but every one was 100% MY fault, not the fault of the governing body or the cop.

Old 06-24-2011, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
There are no houses fronting on Cary Parkway, nor any that have had their driveways shortened to add a lane.

Maynard is an entirely different driving proposition, with numerous driveways and homes fronting the street. And, the speed limit is 35MPH for an extended distance on either side of the area near Pamlico, Plantation, et al. The driver was likely speeding prior to reaching the area where she was detained.

I have had a few speeding tix, although none for years, but every one was 100% MY fault, not the fault of the governing body or the cop.
Excuse me, I meant High House after Bond Park. Houses with driveways open right to High House. 45mph. I'm sure there are other examples in the area.

To be clear, no where in my post did I claim a lack of "blame" or responsibility when one gets a speeding ticket. What I am claiming is that there are unreasonable speed limits motivated by financial interests, under the guise of "safety", and it's wrong. A 35mph speed LIMIT on Maynard road is unreasonable. Totally separate from responsibility for a speeding ticket after the fact.

Old 06-24-2011, 10:48 AM

381 posts, read 1,323,917 times
Fighting the ticket will not work.

Wake Co will not reduce the ticket to a non-moving violation.

Your attorney is correct. The best option is a PJC. You are allowed one PJC per household every three years, with a max of 2 per household in a 5-year period.

You do not need an attorney for the PJC, but it is more convenient.

I also suggest getting a reduction to Exceeding Posted Speed and then getting a PJC. It'll look a little prettier when she gets rated at the next insurance review.

Edited to add: the DA will offer a reduced speed, but a reduction in speed will do no good without a PCJ since she has the prior ticket for 9 over.

Good luck,
Mike

Disclaimer - I am an attorney and have handled several thousand traffic tickets in my career, but I no longer deal with traffic tickets.

Last edited by Mikeheel; 06-24-2011 at 11:52 AM..

Old 06-24-2011, 10:52 AM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,705,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sachivalay View Post
Fight the ticket because of slope and have it revoked.

Even with a slope they were going WAY above the limit. You shouldn't let your car reach that rate of speed above the limit. You'll lose if you try to fight that.

Old 06-24-2011, 10:54 AM

3,392 posts, read 7,748,690 times
If financial interests where the motivating factor, then why wouldn't that High House hill have a 35mph, too. No, the reality is that it depends on several factors. What speeds was the road designed for? What speeds did the traffic study recommend? Are there schools, libraries, churches, curves, etc. ? Did the local residents unite in trying to get the speed limit set a different way? Was the person representing those residents of the party with the majority? What side of the bed did the town council wake up the morning they voted? Etc.

Old 06-24-2011, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dire Wolf View Post
If financial interests where the motivating factor, then why wouldn't that High House hill have a 35mph, too. No, the reality is that it depends on several factors. What speeds was the road designed for? What speeds did the traffic study recommend? Are there schools, libraries, churches, curves, etc. ? Did the local residents unite in trying to get the speed limit set a different way? Was the person representing those residents of the party with the majority? What side of the bed did the town council wake up the morning they voted? Etc.
I agree with you. It's a heck of a lot easier to just say "aww screw it, just make it 35mph, we'll nab folks coming downhill and up the $$$" than to take anything else (including logic, as 35MPH is CRAWLING on that road) into account.

PS - there is a church, a park, a senior center, a downward curve to a stoplight and commercial area, and houses on that strip on High House. 45mph. Not complaining, again, just pointing out inconsistencies.

MikeHeel - curious as to why Wake County, specifically, will not reduce tickets?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary