Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 03:45 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,095,324 times

Advertisements

VickiR, have you gotten into the birdhouse business?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
Y'all are just plain silly. The birds have relocated here from up north and are happy to be in the south.

They have jobs. They like our birdhouses. They pay very little taxes and therefore, they are so happy that they must sing...all hours of the day and night! Just learn to enjoy it because they are telling their friends and their friends are heading this way, as well!

Vicki
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2011, 03:51 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,243,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
VickiR, have you gotten into the birdhouse business?
LOL...that is all I need...another business!!!

I just like happy birds!!!

Vicki

Old 06-24-2011, 04:43 PM

2,275 posts, read 6,307,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDUBiker View Post
Not quite. It sounds like an expert whistler with very high frequency tones.
You may be hearing a whip-poor-will, which sleeps during the day and is active at night. Here's what they sound like:

Whip-poor-will

Old 06-24-2011, 04:47 PM

677 posts, read 1,903,475 times
Mockingbirds often sing at night, also. I don't believe we have nightingales here.

Old 06-24-2011, 05:02 PM

306 posts, read 719,846 times
Ragdolls is probably right--I was going to suggest mockingbirds as well. They sing a lot (night time included) if they are looking for a mate. And since they are mockers, they will sing a variety of songs--so you might think its a lot of different birds when it really isn't.

Old 06-24-2011, 05:49 PM

425 posts, read 1,257,170 times
We heard screeching this morning very early and saw that our Carolina Wren and her mate were having a fit on top of our car. They had 5 baby birds in one of our flower pots on our front porch railing, that hatched almost two weeks ago. We have been enjoying watching them grow. But, this morning there was only 1 baby bird left in the nest. Where did the other 4 go, as they were not quite ready to fly? After watering our flower pots we found our answer. A black snake came out of the pot next to the nest with a very full belly! I was really looking forward to seeing those little guys fly. They were just about ready. By the time my husband got a stick and moved the snake to our back wooded area, the lone baby bird disappeared. We have no idea where it went!

Old 06-24-2011, 05:52 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,095,324 times
Maybe it was a blackbird singing in the dead of night.

YouTube - ‪The Beatles - Blackbird‬‏

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragdolls4me View Post
Mockingbirds often sing at night, also. I don't believe we have nightingales here.

Old 06-24-2011, 06:14 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,901,711 times
We had one the other night that kept me up too! Drove me crazy but it only did it for a couple of nights in a row. I believe it was a killdeer because I've seen a couple in the same part of the yard during the day. It would not shut up!!!! They sound like this:

Bird Songs and Sound of Killdeer

Old 06-25-2011, 05:42 AM

632 posts, read 1,844,515 times
A Chuck Will's Widow sometimes wakes me up at night, especially if he gets really close to the bedroom window. They can get LOUD. They are similar to the Whippoorwill in sound (and often mistaken for them).

Not sure how to imbed links, but here's what a will's widow sounds like:
YouTube - ‪chuck wills widow‬‏
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary