Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 06:57 AM

872 posts, read 1,015,449 times

Advertisements

As a person raised and now living in Chapel Hill/Carrboro, I can tell you that you may want to rent a place centrally located in town so you can easily explore all parts of it. I myself have chosen to live near the Durham/Orange border on the east side because I can conveniently access I-40 and get to Raleigh and Durham within a half hour or so if desired (and RDU airport within 15 minutes). Other people prefer a more relaxed style and like to live on the southern or western edges to access the surrounding rural areas, as well as Fearrington Village, a truly impressive pastoral community south of town. And some like the northern part for easier access to Hillsborough and more rolling hills. It's all what you want to make it for your own personal preference, which is part of the appeal of Chapel Hill for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2011, 03:10 PM

1,873 posts, read 2,405,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toot68 View Post
I totally agree with this. There's been a pretty big demographic shift in Chapel Hill over the last 20 years, moving it from a college town to more of a bedroom community for high income families. It's still the most liberal town in NC, but then it is not to hard to claim that prize.
Ever been to Asheville? CH has a lot of liberals, Ash seems even further left...

Old 08-25-2011, 11:06 AM

5,139 posts, read 8,844,996 times
I'm thinking of the area to retire, but don't want to live (rent) around lots of college folks....so the Hillsboro area has rolling hills? That sounds appealing to me. Coming from SoCal the whole area seems very inexpensive to live.

Old 08-25-2011, 11:43 AM

1,877 posts, read 5,341,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
I'm thinking of the area to retire, but don't want to live (rent) around lots of college folks....so the Hillsboro area has rolling hills? That sounds appealing to me. Coming from SoCal the whole area seems very inexpensive to live.
Yes, but it's Hillsborough

Old 08-25-2011, 11:58 AM

Ok, gotcha. What area would be better for active retiree? I'm used to the burbs but being close to city when I need that once in a while.

Old 08-25-2011, 01:21 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times
The thing is, we are all so accessible to each area. I live in Chapel Hill but use a vet in Hillsborough because he is less expensive than my previous CH vet and just as good. Not a bad drive at all. I can go shopping or to dinner in Cary, to the zoo in Ashboro, to the beach for the day, do the museums in Raleigh with the kids in a short day. Not sprawling at all. Just about anything you want is right here.

But we live in Chapel Hill for the excellent schools and because my heart has been here for many decades even tho my feet have been elsewhere.

Old 08-25-2011, 01:35 PM

yes, that's how it is where I live now. ( can visit all the "towns" around depending on what I need. That was a very sweet comment about being where you heart is...ultimately, I guess that's what we are all looking for.

Old 08-25-2011, 01:38 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
Ok, gotcha. What area would be better for active retiree? I'm used to the burbs but being close to city when I need that once in a while.
Even Chapel Hill is not a "city" in that sense, but you're close enough to Durham or Raleigh to go there when needed. Have you visited the area? All of this is kind of moot if you can't conceptualize what the area is like. You can cover it all in a weekend, easy, and then you'll have a better foundation to ask more specific questions.

Old 08-25-2011, 04:20 PM

Planning on visiting sometime this year...when would be the best time to visit and maybe see some fall foliage at the same time. Do leaves turn in the Raleigh area, or just in the mountains? Late in October?

Old 08-25-2011, 06:27 PM

1,877 posts, read 5,341,299 times
I'd say no earlier than late October, and early November would be preferable. Of course it depends on the weather and it could always be off a week or two. Hillsborough would be lovely then to visit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary