U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 06-25-2011, 06:44 PM
 
Location: Smithfield, NC
448 posts, read 702,601 times
Reputation: 177

Advertisements

I have been looking for a ceremony and/or reception locations and have come across information for the Duke Gardens. They have our date available (October 8th). However, I was wondering what the gardens are like in October. Any information would be greatly appreciated.


Any recommendations for a reception location would also be appreciated. It is going to be a very small affair (20 people max) so a restaurant would be ok. However, I kind of want a restaurant where I can have it in a room. This way we could play some music that is fitting for us.

Thanks again for your input. We are doing this long distance, well he is back in NC but I am still in AZ.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-25-2011, 08:11 PM
 
Location: NC
4,529 posts, read 6,881,783 times
Reputation: 4715
For the reception you could use a room at parizade, a restaurant 5 mins from there. Also, the Carolina Theater has a nice room with a full ground to ceiling window... Carolina Theatre | Downtown Durham, North Carolina
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2011, 08:18 PM
 
Location: Smithfield, NC
448 posts, read 702,601 times
Reputation: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighLass View Post
For the reception you could use a room at parizade, a restaurant 5 mins from there. Also, the Carolina Theater has a nice room with a full ground to ceiling window... Carolina Theatre | Downtown Durham, North Carolina

Thanks for the information. I sent an email to see if it was available and to see what the cost would be.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2011, 09:56 AM
 
Location: Wake Forest (New Light area)
352 posts, read 1,166,565 times
Reputation: 243
Several years ago I had friends get married in Duke Gardens that same weekend you are looking at, and there was still plenty in bloom. It made for great pictures. They got married in front of the goldfish pond in a small ceremony and had the bride walk down from the gazebo. Best of luck! I don't think you can go wrong in Duke Gardens in October.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2011, 12:55 PM
 
804 posts, read 1,716,428 times
Reputation: 749
i would agree that the gardens would still be beautiful in october. the question might be whether you have any contingency plan for inclement weather.

(not to rain on your parade, but we got married on october 13th & a big consideration for us was the possibility of hurricanes. it is a gamble when planning (a) an outside event & (b) your honeymoon location. unfortunately, NOAA has predicted a higher-than-average hurricane season, keeping in mind that everything is, of course, a prediction with no guarantees. it depends on how much of a gambler you are, i suspect!)
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2011, 04:15 PM
 
Location: Smithfield, NC
448 posts, read 702,601 times
Reputation: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by daisyboat View Post
Several years ago I had friends get married in Duke Gardens that same weekend you are looking at, and there was still plenty in bloom. It made for great pictures. They got married in front of the goldfish pond in a small ceremony and had the bride walk down from the gazebo. Best of luck! I don't think you can go wrong in Duke Gardens in October.
Thanks, I am glad that will be still a lot in bloom during this time.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2011, 04:17 PM
 
Location: Smithfield, NC
448 posts, read 702,601 times
Reputation: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoopDeLoop View Post
i would agree that the gardens would still be beautiful in october. the question might be whether you have any contingency plan for inclement weather.

(not to rain on your parade, but we got married on october 13th & a big consideration for us was the possibility of hurricanes. it is a gamble when planning (a) an outside event & (b) your honeymoon location. unfortunately, NOAA has predicted a higher-than-average hurricane season, keeping in mind that everything is, of course, a prediction with no guarantees. it depends on how much of a gambler you are, i suspect!)
That is true. I am not much a gambler but I can always do a lot of praying.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2011, 04:20 PM
 
Location: Smithfield, NC
448 posts, read 702,601 times
Reputation: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighLass View Post
For the reception you could use a room at parizade, a restaurant 5 mins from there. Also, the Carolina Theater has a nice room with a full ground to ceiling window... Carolina Theatre | Downtown Durham, North Carolina
I got a response from Carolina Theater and it looks like they will be closed until Mid October for renovations. Thanks for the suggestion though.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2011, 08:41 AM
 
804 posts, read 1,716,428 times
Reputation: 749
Quote:
Originally Posted by azteacher721 View Post
That is true. I am not much a gambler but I can always do a lot of praying.
certainly true! not that rain on a wedding day is the be-all, end-all, but i also know that there is a lot to coordinate & knowing that a contingency plan is in place should you have any outside event would likely go very far in how smoothly things happen on the day of celebration.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2011, 08:57 AM
 
1,036 posts, read 2,783,179 times
Reputation: 812
I know that Motorco Music Hall rents its space for wedding receptions. It's casual but fun. Vin Rouge, Rue Cler, Four Square, Nana's... all the best dining spots in Durham will have the ability to host a small party for you.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top