Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 06:20 PM

3 posts, read 2,948 times

Advertisements

Hi All,
My family and I will be moving to the Raleigh area from California this year, and want to rent first then buy later when we are settled and know more of the area. I am hoping that I can rent in the same area that I will buy for the sake of not moving my kids around to different schools again....unless anyone can tell me that I can keep them at the same school regardless of my move later on???
Also - my family is prob going to be more unique in NC than Cali, I'm assuming. I'm of Asian descent and my husband is African American. I want to look for a school/area more diverse. We have an 8 yr old and a 5 yr old. I would love to be around parks, shopping centers (not necessarily malls), and NOT be in a cookie cutter home. I am looking to just spend $1300-$1500/month renting....then about $300k buying our home.
Any advice on what areas I should tour? I fly down soon and will be driving around getting a feel for the area. Thanks so much in advance. I appreciate it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2011, 06:51 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,792,894 times
If you move out of the "node"you are assigned to for schooling, you will have to switch schools. I do think there is a "grandfathering" provision, you would then have to provide your own transportation if I'm not mistaken. This is why we were pretty set on buying and not renting for awhile. We had the advantage of having family here already which helped decide where to buy.

I see WAY more inter-racial families down here than I did on Long Island, 20 miles from mid-town Manhattan. I don't think you need to worry about your family's racial/ethnic makeup here.

Good luck with your move.

Old 06-27-2011, 07:50 PM

1,155 posts, read 2,237,066 times
If you build a home and rent while awaiting completion, you can enroll your child in the school where you are building the home. I know that's not your specific question but I thought I'd add that bit of information.

Old 06-27-2011, 08:16 PM

1,357 posts, read 4,027,963 times
Don't you only have to prove residency at the beginning of each year? So couldn't someone be renting and have them in the school for that area, then move during the school year but let them finish out that year in the original school with the parents providing transportation? If I'm suggesting something illegal/against the rules, disregard... I just know that's how it was done when I was younger. But if the OP is asking if the kids can remain at that same school even after that, I think the answer is a definite no.

Old 06-27-2011, 09:12 PM

477 posts, read 1,419,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sowk09 View Post
Don't you only have to prove residency at the beginning of each year? So couldn't someone be renting and have them in the school for that area, then move during the school year but let them finish out that year in the original school with the parents providing transportation? If I'm suggesting something illegal/against the rules, disregard... I just know that's how it was done when I was younger. But if the OP is asking if the kids can remain at that same school even after that, I think the answer is a definite no.
You can apply for a transfer to remain at the school if you move during the school year. See #8 on WCPSS Board Policy 6203 on Transfer of School Assignments:

8. In the event of a change of domicile during the school year, the parent(s) may request that the student remain in the current school of enrollment for the remainder of the school year.

However, as sowk09 states above, the transfer will only be valid for that school year.

Old 06-27-2011, 10:05 PM

1,832 posts, read 5,090,427 times
That's a great question--and I wonder how that will change given the new blue plan? I mean, if you rent a home, list your top 5 choices and get one of them, then move close by, do you have to apply all over again, even if pretty much the same 5 schools would be offered? how is THAT going to work? I bring this up b/c the OP is going to be facing just this issue--maybe it's a no brainer but I could use the information, too

Old 06-28-2011, 07:28 AM

1,751 posts, read 3,688,415 times
I agonized over this while searching for a rental. I couldn't see the logic in a rental if I couldn't live in it for 4-7 years (my kids are in 9th and 6th grades) because I really didn't want them to have to change schools. I chose schools that were top notch with good magnet options.

So I bought a house. I know it goes against the advice of many who suggest I rent first to 'get to know the area'. I did exhaustive research over the course of two years, visited the area many times, etc.

Old 06-28-2011, 07:50 AM

502 posts, read 1,654,874 times
To the OP - you stated "Raleigh area". You may consider neighboring Clayton (Johnston County Schools) or Durham (Durham Public Schools) since their school assignments don't change as much as Wake County Public Schools.

Old 06-28-2011, 08:00 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,792,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by librarySue View Post
So I bought a house. I know it goes against the advice of many who suggest I rent first to 'get to know the area'. I did exhaustive research over the course of two years, visited the area many times, etc.
Yup, that was our thought. Like I mentioned, we had family in the area, but with some research you can certainly get in an area that you will like with good schools. From the time my sister decided to move here to the date she actually did move was less than a year, but she's extremely happy with where she is. It's a combo of lots of research, good RE agent....and my sister met a lot of people at job fairs and picked their brains.

We've been here almost a year and if I had to think about moving again I think I'd go crazy! We wanted the kids settled in to a neighborhood, making friends and having the knowledge they were secure where they are. All kids are different but if we had moved down here and told them it was temporary that would not have gone over very well.

Old 06-28-2011, 08:12 AM

1,832 posts, read 5,090,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sowk09 View Post
We have friends who moved within the same node but didn't notify the school district--and they quite quickly got a nasty letter from WCPSS. It was easily resolved, but Big Brother really is watching you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary