Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 10:16 PM

2,904 posts, read 5,901,373 times

Advertisements

Get ready for new traffic laws - Crime/Safety - NewsObserver.com

Wow, that's just awesome! </sarcasm>

However, the new laws regarding teens being required to keep a written journal and have it signed to prove they have behind-the-wheel experience I consider a VERY GOOD thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2011, 10:26 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,302,854 times
Don't worry, there are penalties for falsified logs, so you know it will be true. Oh and your parents signature is required.

So seriously, I think I probably drove everywhere I possibly could when I was 15 1/2, no learner permit required in NH. I would bet every teen does. Requiring a log is stupid, on the same level with airport security who feels you up.

Old 06-29-2011, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Don't worry, there are penalties for falsified logs, so you know it will be true. Oh and your parents signature is required.

So seriously, I think I probably drove everywhere I possibly could when I was 15 1/2, no learner permit required in NH. I would bet every teen does. Requiring a log is stupid, on the same level with airport security who feels you up.
There will be some who falsify/forge and it may be a small step, but the state of driver education in this country is asinine. It seems like a small step toward the intention of making changes to the program. In the real world, will it make a difference? Who's to say...

I still plan to do my part and volunteer to teach teen driving schools, but any small steps we as a society can take to reduce the needless deaths and injuries to inexperienced drivers who make bad decisions is one more step in the right direction.

Old 06-30-2011, 07:19 AM

1,561 posts, read 5,143,006 times
With the way gas prices have been fluctuating, no one will even notice this. Actually, since gas prices have been dropping, the prices may continue to drop. I'm happier about the sales tax going down 1%. Insanely high here. Taxachusetts where I moved from is only 5%, and everyone there complains because NH has no sales tax.

Old 06-30-2011, 07:21 AM

5,728 posts, read 17,533,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDUBiker View Post
. . . any small steps we as a society can take to reduce the needless deaths and injuries to inexperienced drivers who make bad decisions is one more step in the right direction.

Police: Underage driver caused Fayetteville pileup :: WRAL.com

Old 06-30-2011, 07:27 AM

1,277 posts, read 3,535,495 times
hey - thanks for the heads up. I probably should be keeping a log for my new driver. she isn't quite good enough to even make it out on to falls of neuse yet, but she is getting better on the very back roads. She will even get up to the speed limit now <wink>. So if you are driving in north raleigh behind a mini-van going putt-putt-putt...please have a little patience. <smile>

I should probably even log what roads she is driving on so she and I can see her progress!

The 10 hr driving at night is an interesting one - I don't even think she is allowed to drive after a certain time (9pm?) and it is light still until 9pm...so it sounds like we will have to wait for fall to log those hours!

According to the paper, they will need 60 hrs 'logged' and 10 of those hours at night. On a DMV approved form which they haven't created yet...doesn't take effect until Oct 1 assuming Purdue signs it into law...

Old 06-30-2011, 08:09 AM

494 posts, read 1,383,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDUBiker View Post
Get ready for new traffic laws - Crime/Safety - NewsObserver.com

Wow, that's just awesome! </sarcasm>

However, the new laws regarding teens being required to keep a written journal and have it signed to prove they have behind-the-wheel experience I consider a VERY GOOD thing.
Our gas taxes are already some of the highest.I guess we need to pay for our pristine,clean ,well manicured roads.Also,let us not forget,if Perdue had her way the temp. 1% sales tax would have been permanent.

Old 06-30-2011, 08:09 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,851,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
I think I probably drove everywhere I possibly could when I was 15 1/2, no learner permit required in NH. I would bet every teen does.
Not every teen does; in fact many don't. It came as a surprise to me with my kids and some of their friends how different driving was for them than it was for me. While many kids are still itching to get their license the moment they turn 16, there's a good chunk of kids who just don't seem to care that much about it. They connect with each other online and with phones, so getting out of the house to see each other just doesn't seem to carry the same weight as it once did.

Old 06-30-2011, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GucciLittlePiggie View Post
With the way gas prices have been fluctuating, no one will even notice this. Actually, since gas prices have been dropping, the prices may continue to drop. I'm happier about the sales tax going down 1%. Insanely high here. Taxachusetts where I moved from is only 5%, and everyone there complains because NH has no sales tax.
True, but that doesn't mean we should just ignore it and not care that they are raising our taxes higher, higher, higher while wasting a good chunk of the money needlessly. I'm more for efficiency rather than higher taxes when there is trouble.

Old 06-30-2011, 10:09 AM

5,500 posts, read 10,480,539 times
Higher gas taxes/prices are the only sure way to decrease dependency on foreign oil. You have to hit Americans where they care the most.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary